Looking for a better breakfast in the 5th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying on Rue des Ecoles at the St. Jacques. Last time, we were with friends who were motivated by proximity, so we just went down the block everyday for a fairly non-descript breakfast. Just wondering if there are any favorite cafes nearby that we should seek out for a bit more charm and better food. Thanks!
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 05:21 AM

It sounds crazy, I know, but you aren't too far from Breakfast in America - an uber-cool "diner" that caters to expats and to the college students in the area. I wouldn't do it every day, but once is a blast -- either for a great "American style" breakfast (they explain pancakes on the menu as "American crepes") or for a good burger for dinner. It is funny to see the tourist families in there because their kids couldn't survive 5 days without a burger and a Coke (or even a Dr. Pepper - they fly it in), but the place is usually full of college students, especially for weekend brunch or late evenings. The waiters are primarily french canadian students, so they are fluent in both french and english and they usually have ESPN coming in by satellite on the TV above the bar. Not quite the classic Paris atmosphere you were thinking of, but seriously fun.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 05:44 AM

for something totally different try the Paris Mosque for incredible tasty treats and mint tea.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 06:00 AM

The Cafe du Metro at Place Maubert is nice. Good people watching also.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 08:42 AM

I think breakfast would usually be called fairly nondescript in a typical cafe in Paris. I think you are expecting too much and something that isn't the norm in Paris (elaborate breakfasts).
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

I have been to Paris five times and certainly don't expect elaborate breakfasts. But, some cafes have a bit more charm than others, a little older perhaps, a view of an interesting square.

Tejana, thanks for the tip on the diner. You never know when we might get a craving!

jetsetJ, do they serve early in the am?

Spaarne, thank you. That is exactly what I am looking for. I think it would be a good jumping-off point should we be using the Metro. I usually like to walk or bus, but if the weather is nasty, walking will be less interesting.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 09:32 AM

The last time I stayed in the 5th, we ended up going to Breakfast in America every day, if only to check in on the baseball scores. My travel partner was having Sportscenter withdrawals and loved that place.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 09:36 AM

I'll be staying at the St Jacques in November. When are you going to be there?

A few years ago when I stayed there I usually had breakfast at Brioche Dorree, kind of around the corner on Blvd St Mich. It's a chain, no real charm, but good value. Several years ago we stayed at the Hotel Minerve which is further down rue des ecoles, half a block east of rue Monge. Directly across the street is a cafe we had breakfast in each morning that we really liked. They had the cutest dog sitting on one of the stools every day. Last time I was in Paris we went back there but the dog was no longer there. But the food was still good. I'll probably go there again. It's just its several minutes walk from the St Jacques, and in the opposite direction of where I'm usually headed. Can't remember it's name but it's across the street from the Hotel Minerve which is at 13 rue des ecoles.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thankfully, we don't have any sports to keep up with. Whatever keeps the travels partners happy, huh? That's a good plan.

Isabel, I will be at the St.J starting the 7th. I booked five night but may stay on depending on how plans with friends play out. How 'bout you?

That cute-dog-thing is what makes a memory, isn't it? Brioche Dorree is good if we're headed for the bus actually. I know it has no charm but it might help on high-budget-dinner days. We'll wander up the Rue and see if we can see the place across from the Minerve. Thanks!
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM

I just LOVE the Starbucks on Blvd. St. Michel across the street from the Cluny Museum.

Must have American coffee.

Thin
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 04:16 AM

I'm fine with the nondescript breakfast but do wonder if there's anyplace with abundant coffee refills? Usually we breakfast at the hotel so we can get adequate caffeine, but is there another way? Thanks--
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

I think Thin G. is on to something...maybe a Venti is the solution to the caffeine equation.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Chocolate is a good substitute for caffeine and it's easier on the stomach.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Correction: I meant dark chocolate. Milk chocolate doesn't do it.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Breakfast in America (mentioned above) would be the place to go for a 'bottomless' cup of coffee in the 5th. Not exactly your authentic French cafe experience but I like it there! Very popular with locals too, especially at weekends (when you usually have to wait for a table).
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 07:31 AM

Breakfast in America is also great if you have a hankering for a hamburger--they're open until 11 pm.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Where is Breakfast in America? Cross streets? Metro?
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 11:57 AM

Breakfast in America is 17 rue des Ecoles, near rue Monge. Cardinal Lemoine or Jussieu metro.

www.breakfast-in-america.com
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 12:05 PM

I just got back from Rome and I had to order 3 cappuccinos at breakfast because the glasses were so small.

I drink a pot in the morning. A tiny coffee doesn't do anything for me. This is why I would LOVE to see a Starbucks in Rome.

I am glad Paris has a few Starbucks.

Thin
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM

Amy we stayed on the same street and dined at American Diner THREE times in 10 nights It was actually very charming and we loved it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -