Long-term rental advice

Search

Long-term rental advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long-term rental advice

I am looking at apartments to rent for the month of September in Florence. What advice or comments do you have? I am trying to decide if it is more important to save some money and stay in a place that does not seem very comfortable or nice or rent something great that I will look forward to coming back to everyday and staying in to cook.

(There will be 2 of us most of the time, but my stepmother and a friend are each going to stay for a week during this time.)

Also, any rental agencies or owner recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 08:05 AM
ira

>I am trying to decide if it is more important to save some money and stay in a place that does not seem very comfortable or nice or rent something great that I will look forward to coming back to everyday and staying in to cook. <

Oh definitely save the money. If you are lucky, you will be able to sleep under a bridge for free.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 12:25 PM

We like to stay in apartments, but rarely cook there, especially in Florence where there are so many good restaurants. We do boil a dozen eggs and keep them for breakfasts, as we both like tea and large glasses of orange juice, which doesn't seem to be common in European restaurants. A little fresh fruit and some local baked goods and you are ready to make it a day.

I think the most important features of an apartment are the stairs (at our age we look for an elevator) and a washer/drier (you can wash your clothes frequently, so you don't have to carry as much).

I like to find a middle class apartment, as I'm not used to luxury, but it is also nice to have a terrace, where you can relax after a long day. Even a plain apartment can be made pleasant with some flowers, for example.

We haven't been to Florence for over a year, and my memory is somewhat hazy, but I seem to recall that few apartments there had driers. The Italians seem to like to hang their wash out to dry.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 12:29 PM

I just recalled a bookmark. We haven't stayed here, but I have seen it recommended, and the location particularly attracted me, as well as the looks, at least those shown on the web page.

http://sleepinginflorence.com/p01.htm
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 06:19 PM

A not great hotel for a night or two can be tolerated - but why torture yourself in a nasty apartment for a full month?

I'm with Ira - sleep on a bench and you won;t have to pay anything!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:24 AM

Hello, staying in the Tuscan area for a month will be an incredible experience. While others recommend a park bench I would simply recommend getting out of central Florence. There are many very nice farmhouses that will easily accommodate, and likely exceed your expectations. With a prolonged stay most will give you a break on the weekly rates. Here are two with which we've had wonderful experiences:
www.villadipaloma.com
www.marengo.it
From these locations, in/around Arezzo, you will easily be able to get to any large/small Tuscan town, including Florence (30 minutes direct by train from the Arezzo train station, price Euro 9). Best of luck!

- Jonathan