Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Long or short skirt while travelling in Europe???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting Europe for the very first time this April (Paris and different parts of Switzerland)! I am going with my husband and his parents (his father is working for a year in Switzerland)- all of whom are well experienced travellers. I am working really hard on putting together a great travel wardrobe that fits in my new 22 inch roller. I have been reading a LOT of the threads here and many people suggest taking a long skirt...is a skirt above the knee considered inappropriate in many places abroad? (I know this sounds like a really dumb question...I just want to look great and make a great impression on my new in-laws!!!!)

Thank you for any advice - I am loving these message boards already!!!!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Hey McAllister

You are probably young enough to be my daughter, so take this with a grain of salt and ignore me if I am wrong.

I'm no fashionista, but IMO, a skirt that's too short is a pain in the neck to wear while traveling. One tends to move more, bend more, etc and a shorter skirt might give away more information than you'd like.

IMO the definition of "short" is at least five inches above the knee. For me, I keep them to knee length and don't have to worry.

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:28 AM
nbujic

ditto.

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:31 AM

Depends on your legs.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shorts skirts or long skirts, everything is in style except cellulite. You might want to bring some tights and boots if you're wearing skirts though. Boots are definitely the rage. You see a lot of pants tucked into boots too.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:44 AM

A dress-up skirt and a few nice tops are quite useful and more flexible than a dress. You will need sandals to go with the skirts - not good if you are considering taking only a 22" suitcase!

I find long skirts comfortable and easy to wear during long car or train rides. BUT I have not used them enough to justify the luggage space. On top of that, skirts which are comfortable are rarely the fashionable kind

April could be wet and cool in Paris, maybe not skirt and sandal weather...

In Switzerland the entire country dresses in hiking clothes. It will be cold at higher elevations. Dress in layers and forget the skirts unless you plan to attend power lunches in Zurich.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:45 AM

Short skirts or long skirts? It all depends on your age, shape, and amount of cellulite and of self-criticism...

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Just a note.....I've worn a long skirt that was a pain climbing stairs in the Paris Metro....the tripping factor.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:59 AM

True, Bailey.

Mc - if you plan on just wearing the short skirt to dinner, then I'd say go for it.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As above, I would not wear a long skirt because I don't think they are practical, especially for traveling (climbing onto trains, etc.)

A short skirt is fine and prefectly appropriate, that said, since you're traveling in April it might be a little breezy!!

Why not just stick with pants/slacks? That is the most "pulled together" look imo and easiest to have shoes that look good with. You can have both casual and 'dressy' pants outfits.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Not that I wear skirts (except at the weekend ), my wife has found that at some places of worship, particularly in Italy, they are a bit funny about showing too much flesh, especially shoulders. The same applies to men in shorts.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Sorry, marigross, but we do not all dress in hiking clothes all the time! Only when we hike. I am at work right now and have on a cashmere sweater and a gypsy-ish kind of skirt with boots. McAllister, you'll have to wait and see what the weather is like closer to your departure date to decide what to wear. And yes, different skirt lengths are fashionable but comfort is most important.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:13 AM

I have a couple of knit long skirts and wear them with boots. I make sure they have the slit up the back to allow for movement and they are above my ankles. Too long and they are a pain.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Wow - thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to my silly question! I am planning on taking a few pairs of slacks that will be easily made into dressier or casual outfits (and make up almost my entire wardrobe while away). However, I was going to slip in one nice dress for nicer dinners out etc.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:18 AM

Yes, Marigross, and they all yodel, too.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:18 AM

It really depends how hot you are. Send me a picture and I can make my final decision.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

(Sorry, hit the button by mistake...)
I guess I will take the advice to wait and see what the weather is like...I am hoping that I can take my beautiful little black dress! (It is sort of small and can fit into any size suitcase easily.)

Thanks again - I appreciate any advice for my first trip to Europe! (By the way, we are going to London and Scotland in August so my second trip will be pretty soon!)
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Take your little black dress, sounds perfect to me. I don't like to wear pants all the time, a dress would be nice for dinner. Have fun
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:54 AM

Hi,

Do you watch "What Not to Wear" with Stacy London and Clinton Kelly on TLC? That is a great show! Clinton and Stacy are fashion stylists and they advise no short skirts after age 35. I think anything above the knee is a short skirt. I like A-line or straight skirts that fall right at my knee when I travel, usually in a fabric that I can wash easily, such as rayon or cotton or linen. I usually choose a basic color - black - and take a solid color skirt with blouses, sweaters to match. Just mix and match!

Definitely wear longer sleeves and longer skirt in churches and cathedrals.

Have a great day!
Julia
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 09:48 AM

It's probably too cold to wear a skirt with bare legs in April.
Wear what you would at home. Don't buy something because you think you should, if it's not what you would normally wear. I wouldn't want to go sightseeing in a long skirt; just to the knee is easier; shorter only if you are young, have great legs, and don't plan to visit churches, where they might object to short skirts.

Jeans are always fine, and with a smart top and good shoes, will do for most restaurants in the evening too. I usually take a dress (like a Diane von Furstenberg) since it's so easy to pack and always looks good. There a lots of these type of dresses in the stores at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -