Reload this Page >

Long or short raincoat?

Search

Long or short raincoat?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 07:05 AM
Diane M

Long or short raincoat?

I'll be traveling throughout Great Britain and Ireland during September, ending with a week in London. I know I need a raincoat, but would it be better to bring a long raincoat with a warm lining or would a hip-length, rain-resistant, hooded and unlined coat be a better choice? I see on the Internet that it's been raining quite a bit, but I suppose it could all change by September. Would appreciate someone's opinion.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 07:14 AM
Lori

I'd go with a long raincoat with a lining - you can always remove the lining. A longer coat covers up more of you and can keep your legs warmer if it gets too cold. Now this is only my personal preference but I've noticed, particularly in London, longer raincoats are the norm as they protect your clothes too. A longer coat looks less "sporty" as well, particularly if you are going out at night, etc. I've been in England in Sept. and it was quite warm so you never know (just go prepared!)

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 07:21 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>I'd go with a long one too, it will also be "dressier" for certain occasions. I've used shorter ones also, but I just think the longer one offers more versatility (and warmth, as Lori mentions. I hate being cold). <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 08:08 AM
Dawn

Either is fine, but I think it depends on what you're going to be doing. If you plan on dressing a bit and maybe going to the theatre or an upscale restaurant, I'd go with the longer. If you're going to be doing mostly touristy things, the short will be fine. It rarely is cold in Spetember.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 08:43 AM
elaine

Diane, <BR>I agree that you probably won't need the warmth of the lining, but I also agree that a longer coat is more versatile, and can always be layered with sweaters <BR>if needed. If your budget permits, think about buying a microfiber (polyester) light weight thin raincoat that is sold in some department stores and in many catalogs. These roll up and fit into a corner of a suitcase--some come with their own pouch. They are often a rippled weave that doesn't show wrinkles, but they don't look bad even on dressier occasions. They weigh next to nothing, and as I said can easily accommodate sweaters underneath. I travel with this in all but the coldest weather. <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 09:02 AM
Jo

Just on the lighter side - all those people saying that its not cold in London in August - well its freezing (and wet) right now! Agree definitely though, not a lined jacket - layers are best, especially for the stuffiness and heat of the underground/tube. I personally find a hip length light waterproof jacket best - less bulky to carry in a bag for a start (just in case you happen to get a warm day - yes they do exist!) Also consider taking a small rain umbrella - much better for those humid, unpredictable days. Just remember that one thing London is, is unpredictable. The sun can shine in the morning (enough for suntanning), and by afternoon it is snowing (yes it did actually happen). <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 09:25 AM
KATHY

My suggestion is a long coat too, and the microfiber one Elaine suggests would be perfect for wearing and packing. I prefer a coat with a hood since - along with being cold - I hate a wet head! Agree when it rains in the British Isles, no matter the time of year, it's usually a chilling rain. Long or short, if your choice is between hood or no hood, I vote for a hooded coat.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 10:33 AM
Tammy

I was in London in April and I was cold most of the time. I took a short raincoat, but would have given anything for either my leather jacket or my long raincoat (both of which were at home). The weather was very unpredictable while we were there. One morning the sun was shining bright, the next hour it was cloudy, then it rained, then cleared up again, and then to top the day off it hailed. Despite the unpredictable weather, my mom and I had a wonderful time and we can't wait to go back.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 11:20 AM
Diane M

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Now I'm thoroughly confused (just kidding). Maybe I'll take both if I have room---one in my bag and one on my arm.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 01:26 PM
Elizabeth

Hi Diane, <BR>I posted a similar question in April in planning our trip to England in October. I ended up purchasing a mircofiber long raincoat with a liner by London Fog. I got it at an outlet store for a good price following the winter season. It's a taupe in color and should go with everything from browns to greys. Sorry I couldn't offer better advice, but I thought it might be comforting to know there is someone outthere in the same quandary as you.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 03:17 PM
Donna

Mine is long and taupe, also, which I highly recommend, as it is the same color as dirty rainwater (so, if it drags along the ground somehow, nothing shows). If you're packing mostly casual, the short one (assuming it covers your derriere) would be just fine, and easier to carry around. I find a long one is a pain when walking up and down stairs, and it gets twisted in narrow seats (you know, make of velcro fabric). However, the long one is a bit more versatile - looks fine over a dress in the evening. I recommend getting one with lots of pockets and a hood (which precludes the need for an umbrella). Got mine (long and short) at L. L. Bean.

Old Aug 10th, 1999, 03:51 PM
Kittie

Diane, <BR> <BR>What a terrific question! I hadn't even thought of it. <BR> <BR>My boyfriend and I will be in Scotland in late Oct-Nov. This is great info! <BR>Kittie