long layover in Zurich

Jul 9th, 1999, 01:05 PM
ben davis

long layover in Zurich

My wife and I are flying from Chicago to Athens soon, but bcause of full flights we arrive in Zurich at 7:40 a.m. and layover until 8:30 p.m. We would welcome tips on how to spend this time, advice whether we should expect to get some sleep somewhere and what Zurich has to offer. Thanks.

Jul 9th, 1999, 05:55 PM
Seamus

There is direct train service from the airport into Zurich, and the area around the train station (Banhof) offers some great strolling/shopping. The Banhofstrasse (street just outside the station) is a major shopping area. There are also bus tours featuring highlights of the city you can do in a couple hours; check at the tourist office in the train station. One of the best things for managing jet lag is to get out and walk in the sun in the new time zone (resets your pineal gland), so a leisurely stroll on the Banhofstrasse could be just the ticket. You might want to check into getting a day room at an airpot hotel or one in town. This allows you use of a room for several hours at a cost less than the usual overnight rate. A nice shower, even a brief (only brief!) nap can go far toward making you feel more human. Enjoy!

Jul 9th, 1999, 06:17 PM
anne

A boat ride would be a nice way to spend some time too. You're fortunate to have a long layover in Zurich rather than elsewhere since it's so easy to get into the city...the train station is about a 20 min. ride away, and is right in the heart of the lovely old town. It's a wonderful place to walk around.

Jul 9th, 1999, 07:48 PM
pati gallagher

thanks to Seamus and Anne for your input. We 're landing in Zurich and driving to Italy, so we're looking forward t o seeing as much as we can in a dau or two, before we come back for a respectable stay,,,

Jul 10th, 1999, 06:23 AM
Al

In my former life (before I retired), business took me to Zurich. I found a great way to get away from the dull, banking-type people. Walk (or take the streetcar) down Bahnhofstrasse to the shore of Lake Zurich. Board the boat that will take you far across the lake to a small town called Rapperswil. Have a nice cruise on the lake, have a leisurely lunch in Rapperswil, and return. Combines escape, sightseeing, and a nice lunch.

Aug 1st, 1999, 02:10 PM
Dave

Rapperswill is a great diversion. In addition to the boat you can also reach it by an easy train ride from Zurich. 30 minutes max.