Weather in Scotland late October

Jul 23rd, 1999, 02:18 PM
Kittie

Weather in Scotland late October

Hi!
We are getting ready for our trip to Iceland and Scotland.
What can I expect for weather in Kinloch Rannoch (near Pitlochry) in late October? Should I even think about bringing a pair of shorts? We are going to bring rain coats with removable linings and ski jackets ( we are drom Florida btw). Does this sound good?
Kittie

Jul 23rd, 1999, 02:36 PM
Tony Hughes

Don't waste your time with shorts.

You will, more than likely, require to wear the same clothes as you will in Iceland.

rest sounds fine.

Jul 23rd, 1999, 06:20 PM
Al

Boy, Tony, you are SO right! Scotland's cold is a damp chill that soaks into your bones. Add a stiff wind and it's as bad as Chicago's lakefront. All those sheep wearing their wool coats should give any traveler a clue! I found that a wool hat or cap, gloves (even made of sheepskin!), and waterproof boots worked wonders. Plus an occasional dram of Scotch whiskey.

Jul 24th, 1999, 12:27 AM
Sheila

Kittie

I recall from previous posts tha you want to walk. The princple on which dressing fro walking is based is called layering. So you can strip of and cover up.

It will be cold (but not freezing) and damp(which could be absolutely tipping it down in anyone else's language)

Shorts would be of no value. T- shirts might be OK for indoors at the hotel.

Boots are a good idea, especially if you go off the beaten track.

Umbrellas don't work because it is too windy

Jul 26th, 1999, 07:14 PM
Kittie

Thanks all for the info! I'll pack for chilly,wet weather. What a wonderful change it will be!
Sheila,
I didn't even think about the umbrella scenario. You remembered right, I do like to go on walks.
Does anybody have a suggestion on a brand of hiking-type boot I should look into? I have been given the suggestion of The American Eagle and Land's End catalogs. Any suggestion of brand names that are in the $30-75 range? I'm not a real mountain hiker or anything...I just like to walk hills and such. Lord, I sound like such a whimp <g>.

Jul 26th, 1999, 07:43 PM
Al

Boots with Gore-Tex linings are ideal for Scottish wet. Make sure they have a removable inner liner. That way, they can dry quicker. Before you go, though, make sure you wear them several times. I have found that Duct-Tape can prevent blisters. Just snip off four-inch pieces and plaster them around your heels. Wool socks are best. You can get some good buys on such in Scotland.

Jul 26th, 1999, 08:35 PM
Kittie

Al,
Thanks for the advice. I never thought of duct tape for blisters. The gore-tex liners sound like a great idea.
Kittie

Jul 27th, 1999, 12:42 AM
Sheila

Unless things are _very_ different in the Us you won't get removable liners at your price.

Salomon walking shoes ( model number escaps me but I'll look it up tonight) are being strongly recommended as the best thing since sliced bread this year, for your sort of user. I do know some one who has them and thinks they're great.

Jul 27th, 1999, 05:12 PM
Kittie

Sheila,
I would greatly appreciate the model number and where I can get those boots/shoes.
I looked in a Land's End catalog and they had some (their own brand)with removable liners for about $50US. The GoreTex brand were about $150US.
Kittie

Jul 28th, 1999, 03:31 AM
Sheila

Kittie

I forgot this last night. I will do it tonight.

It was my 20th wedding anniversary so I have a small excuse

In cidentally have you looked at the timeshare in Scotland question?

Jul 28th, 1999, 11:16 AM
Sheila

Kittie

They are salomon Exit II Low shoes with a nubuck and nylon mesh upper and Contagrip soles. They retail here about 60 (c$95). Anything with a removable inner her will be over 100

Jul 28th, 1999, 03:57 PM
Kittie

Sheila,
Thank you so much for the Salomom boots. I will look for them.
I have read the posting on the timeshares in Scotland. You posted wonderful information. Thank you.
Happy Anniversary!!!!!! 20 years! How great!!!!!!!
Kittie

Jul 28th, 1999, 05:46 PM
Laney

I'm going a bit off topic here to say to Shelia that it is with your help that my husband and I celebrating our 20th anniversary in Scotland and England in September! You and all the other helpful Fodorites have been instrumental in aiding my novice trip planning skills. By the by, 1979 was a good year, was it not?!!

Jul 29th, 1999, 02:10 AM
Sheila

Laney

Hope you have a great trip- where are you going out to dinner?

Jul 29th, 1999, 04:29 PM
specs

Hi Kittie,
In addition to good shoes you might also think about packing some silk long underwear. They sell tops, bottoms, and sock liners in the LLBean and Lands End type catalogs. They take about the same space in your suitcase as a t-shirt and add no bulk under your clothing. They also can be hand washed and drip dried. Another catalog source would be Eddie Bauer. They're based in Seattle. Who would know more about wet weather than people who call their rain "liquid sunshine"?

Jul 29th, 1999, 04:45 PM
Kittie

Specs,
Thank you for the wonderful suggestion! I hadn't even thought about long underwear. Are the silk one's as warm as the cotton "traditional" one's?
I didn't know that Eddie Bauer was based in Seattle. This does explain their clothing line <g>.

Jul 30th, 1999, 03:25 PM
specs

Hi Kittie
Silk is far superior to cotton for warmth. Also it doesn't bunch up under your clothes like cotton thermal. The silk moves with you and it breathes. Some of the newer cotton has a little stretch to it (maybe a bit of lycra?) and the knit is more like a t-shirt. However, it is not very good for damp conditions. It seems to act like a sponge.
Silk is almost weightless, packs flat, or mashes into those odd nooks and crannies in your luggage.
Its more expensive than cotton, but worth every penny. You probably won't use it much in Tampa, but you will be glad to have it on your trip.

Aug 1st, 1999, 07:46 AM
Sheila

Kittie

There's a review of walking shoes in one of the mags I read today which pitches North Face Triple Divide (70)
Berghaus Vertigo Lo (64.95) and Aigle Low Trail (49.95) above the Salomon I told you about (although it does say the Aigle pronates so it would be good for people whose feet tend to roll inward)

Just thought you'd like to know.

Aug 1st, 1999, 07:49 AM
Sheila

Kittie

There's a review of walking shoes in one of the mags I read today which pitches North Face Triple Divide (70)
Berghaus Vertigo Lo (64.95) and Aigle Low Trail (49.95) above the Salomon I told you about (although it does say the Aigle pronates so it would be good for people whose feet tend to roll inward)

Just thought you'd like to know.

Aug 1st, 1999, 04:02 PM
Kittie

Sheila,
Thanks again for the recommendations. I'll look into it this week. For 7 days there is no tax on clothing/shoes in the stste of Florida. It's a reward to us consumers for a surplus in the state tax coffers.
Kittie