Long Layover at the Heathrow Airport London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm new to this so and traveling Europe so any help I could get that would be great.

.We land in Heathrow at Oct 11th 7 pm we land at the airport and and leave the next morning at 11:00. we would like to take a look at a few sites if possible in the evening and possibly in the morning. So a few questions:
What time does it get dark?
Is it save to walk around outside the area at night?
What time should we return to the airport in the morning?
How much is it to stay in the Yotelair per hr or is it cheaper to stay at a hotel cost between $120 and $150.00
One last question will we have to collect our bags from or will they just be put on the next flight in the morning?

Oh also suggestion of good, and safe pubs for food and breakfast.

Thanks for the help.

Evelyn
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your biggest problem isn't safety - anywhere in central London is safe.

Your problem is the actual times you land and depart. If you landed earlier in the day it would make a HUGE difference.

But with a 7PM arrival you really wouldn't be in central London until between 9 and 10PM. If you stayed in a London hotel -- you'd have to be checked out and on your way back out to the airport by 7 or 8 AM.

If you decide to stay at a hotel near the airport, you'd have to either go to the hotel and check in or leave your carry ons at Left Luggage and then travel into London so you'd get to town even later.

So unfortunately -- it doesn't work out very well.

If you just want to say you've walked in London - leave your bags at Left Luggage, hop on the tube, at Hammersmith station get off the train and walk across the platform, catch the next train and get off at Westminster. Coming up out of the tube station you will see Big Ben, Parliament and the London Eye across the river. Walk across the river -- maybe eve ride the Eye IF you get there before it closes for the evening. Then tube back to LHR - the last train leaves around midnight so you'll have to be careful about the time. Collect your bags and take a cab to your hotel (there is a bus from the airport to the local hotels but it stops running between 11 and 11:30 PM-ish so you'll probably miss it.)
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:07 PM

If you take the tube from LHR into the city, it will take about 45-50 minutes each way into the city. You will have to pick up your luggage when you arrive and keep it till the next morning. Depending on your airline, you might be able to keep it there at LHR but usually no.

You don't say who you are flying and from what terminal but I would allow 2.5 to 3 hours before the flight leaves at Heathrow as sometimes the ticket counter and security back up for flights.
I work for the airlines and work LHR quite a bit.

Personally, it will be getting dark in October not to mention that many of the sites and museums close at 5pm for the winter hours.Most of the pubs and restaurants stop serving food between 930pm-10pm especially during the weekdays.I would just stay out at LHR.
If you want a nice pub out there, stay at the former Jurys Inn hotel now called the HIlton Garden right by the tube station. If you walk across the main road and walk a half block,turn left you will see an old pu16th century) called The GREEN MAN. Ask at front desk for better directions but a quick walk and fun atmosphere.Check it out on Tripadvisor -been going there for years when on vacation and waiting for my flight the next day.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:09 PM

Seriously don't know why that pirate emoji showed up instead of the letter P?
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:20 PM
cfc

It takes quite a while to get through Heathrow even if arrival is on time. Passport control can have 1 hr. long lines, and if you're claiming baggage you have to deal with that too, although if you have nothing to declare it's not bad. But there are long walks between plane, passcontrol, etc. In addition, even if you take the Heathrow Express (highly recommended) rather than the non-express trains OR a cab, it's still about 20 min. to Paddington once you board the train.

We landed at about 7:45pm and didn't check into our hotel until about 10 pm. So that, right there, doesn't give you much.

In the morning, you'd need to be at Heathrow by about 8:30 or 9 at the very latest (they recommend 3 hrs. from check-in to boarding, but I think that's a bit excessive), which means getting to Paddington for the H. Express by 8. Not much of a breakfast there, either.

I recommend staying in or near the airport -- see this website: http://www.heathrow.com/plan-and-boo...eathrow-hotels

Be aware that getting to hotels NOT IN the airport may mean a fair amount of time getting a cab/ride and getting there (they aren't right by the terminals), although the hotel will make sure you get your morning ride back (some have A Guy who'll drive both ways).

But we stayed at a relatively nearby BnB and had a charming breakfast in their garden before the owner drove us back to the airport. I recommend looking into that sort of arrangement. A British experience without the hassle of going in-and-out of London.

We also stayed once at the Sofitel -- very costly but memorably posh and a great place for both dinner and breakfast, and then SO convenient (no cab fare) to the terminals. Avoid the Yotel - unless sleeping in a beehive/pod-rack appeals to you.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:00 PM

>>it's still about 20 min. to Paddington once you board the train. <<

To clarify -- my suggestion was to take the tube because it gets you into the center of town in about 60 minutes.

The HEX or train to Paddington that cfc mentions is faster -- TO Paddington -- but you'd still be 20-30 minutes or longer to any sites.

So long and short of it -- with an evening arrival, you really don't have any good options.

I'd get a nice hotel at LHR and just relax . . .
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I also would simply get an airport hotel, have a nice dinner, and call it good. Especially with luggage in tow, trying to go into central London doesn't make any sense to me in this situation.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:09 PM

<i> You don't say who you are flying and from what terminal but I would allow 2.5 to 3 hours before the flight leaves at Heathrow as sometimes the ticket counter and security back up for flights.</I>
The ticket counter has never been part of any check in process EVEN when they existed. Nowadays, there is online check-in and bag drop (if you have luggage for the hold). If the flight departing at 11am is a European flight, it is overkill to be at the airport 2.5 to 3 hours before hand.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:27 PM

>>The ticket counter has never been part of any check in process EVEN when they existed. <<

I seldom check in on line for international flights because they still have to inspect your passport. They still operate and staff counters at LHR -- yes there are kiosks but there are also counters.

>>If the flight departing at 11am is a European flight, it is overkill to be at the airport 2.5 to 3 hours before hand.<<

I didn't see it mentioned as being a short haul flight. If it is transatlantic/long haul -- 2.5 to 3 hours. If intra-European -- then 1.5 to 2 hours.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:34 PM

<i> They still operate and staff counters at LHR -- yes there are kiosks but there are also counters.</I>
Do you understand the difference between a TICKET counter and a CHECK IN counter? Thought not.

<i> I didn't see it mentioned as being a short haul flight. If it is transatlantic/long haul -- 2.5 to 3 hours. If intra-European -- then 1.5 to 2 hours.</I> And I did not see it mentioned as a transatlantic flight either.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 07:17 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Go to the Sofitel at Terminal 5, have a great dinner at their La Belle Epoque and get a good night's sleep.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Odin has apparently forgotten that people get to the so-called "check-in counter" all the time where they exchange tickets, get tickets re-written, modified, cancelled, and so forth.

If it makes Odin happier we'll be glad to start referring to it as the check-in counter where some people do all sorts of things with tickets and sometimes it takes a hell of a long time and ask any of us who have been stuck in line <B>behind these people</B> and their "ticket problems."
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 08:08 PM

>>Do you understand the difference between a TICKET counter and a CHECK IN counter? Thought not. <<

Why the snark.

The counter is not one size fits all -- they handle check in, tickets, problems . . . ALL sorts of things.

I used the AA counter at LHR just three weeks ago . . . to <i>check in</i>
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 09:07 PM

When we stayed at Heathrow overnight for a morning flight out the next day we just stayed put at the Novotel (which was and perhaps till is first on the shuttle-bus loop). We were able to order in a wonderful Indian meal from one of the three local restaurants that delivered and then have a walk in the evening cool. That worked quite nicely and meant we didn't have to rush anywhere.

If you do an overnight stay, be sure that you have the carry-on with necessities handy, as you can probably check the rest of the luggage on. We did, but two pieces got lost on the way home, I expect from having been mis-labeled.
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone this is a lot of help and great ideas. Btw we are flying with Finnair. It sound like the best idea is to get a hotel near airport find a great pub for dinner, and a place for breakfast. Suggestion for dinner and breakfast.
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 05:31 PM

For a pub, maybe the Green Man near Hatton Cross station

For breakfast - your hotel or at the airport.
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 08:50 AM

<i>Odin has apparently forgotten that people get to the so-called "check-in counter" all the time where they exchange tickets, get tickets re-written, modified, cancelled, and so forth.</I>

Odin knows that people who exchange tickets, get tickets rewritten, modified, cancelled, and so forth get these things done at something called a Ticket Desk. A Ticket Desk is a different desk to a Check In Desk. Check In staff check in luggage. Check In staff might or might not even be able to take payment for excess bagagge or upgrades done at the airport on the day (depending on the airline of course.)
Ticket Desk staff are different staff who are qualified in reservations, fares and ticketing and they can perform the tasks mentioned (exchanges etc) and they can take payment. Ticket Desk has no facilities to check in luggage (no scales or baggage belts). Ticket Desk is usually some place else from a Check In Desk. Some airlines eg low cost might not have a Ticket Desk nor a Check In Desk, but certainly several airports still have separate desks performing separate tasks.
I was at a BA ticket desk at T5 recently, where due to arriving late at the airport, I had to go to the ticket desk to get my ticket changed to the next flight and pay the fare difference. I was redirected to a BA ticket desk from the check-in desk.

<i>I used the AA counter at LHR just three weeks ago . . . to check in</I>
As you said, a counter is not one size fits all, there are counters for checking in and that is all they do and a separate counter for ticket and reservation issues and they do not do check-in. So you checked in at a check-in counter.

<i>Suggestion for dinner and breakfast.</i>

Dinner

http://www.pheasant-restaurant.co.uk/
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 09:29 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If you're dying to get away from the airport precincts, consider a car service to Windsor (around £20.) It's quick, and there are a number of reasonably priced hotels in the immediate vicinity of Windsor Castle as well as numerous pubs and restaurants. The Harte and Garter, for example, is across the street from the castle, and next door to the Royal Windsor shopping mall, which contains several decent places for a meal or breakfast. The more modern (and probably quieter) Travelodge is on the opposite side of the shopping mall, accessible by pedestrian walk. Windsor (minus the mid-day summer throngs) is a marvelous place to spend the night near, but not AT, Heathrow.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone so much! I think we will get hotel near the airport, drop our luggage and go.

Question: What's this about a car service? Is it expensive and how do we get about renting one?

Then to the airport 3 hrs early next day to fly back to USA. I wish I would had planned a day or 2 longer in London, next time.
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 11:19 AM

>>Question: What's this about a car service? Is it expensive and how do we get about renting one? <<

A car service is a pre-booked driver (like what is sometimes called a limo in the States). They meet you at the airport and drive you to your destination -- at a much lower cost than a regular taxi.

This one is probably the best known justairports.com

However if you want to use them to pick you up at your LHR hotel, you need to phone them to make your reservation. Booking on line is really for pick up at arrivals at the airport. Not a big deal -- their phone number is on the website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -