Reload this Page >

Long Distance Phone Rates

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Eva

For those of you who regularly phone the UK and Ireland, what kind of rates are you getting and from which long distance carrier? What about phone cards? Which do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:41 AM
sam

I use Verizon long distance. For $4.95 I get a long distance plan. Calls to land lines in UK and Ireland are .12 per minute. Calls to mobiles are slightly more. I've had this plan for approximately 2 years and it was the best to be had at the time.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 10:51 AM
XYZ

I don't need a plan...I prefix my calls with 1016868...calls to the UK are 7.9 cents a minute...calls to mobiles in the UK are 13 cents a minute....no sign up, no monthly fees. Calls are billed on my local phone bill.<BR><BR>There is a new one out, 1016400, with rates of 4.9 cents a minute to the UK but calls to mobile in the UK are 29 cents a minute. Again, no signing up, no minimums, no fine print......silly to pay $4.95 a month for a long distance plan.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Patrick

Actually XYZ, that number is even better than you say. Either you or someone else posted that number here last spring and I tried it twice, sending a fax and also making a call to reserve our car in London. I made a note of it and kept checking my bills to see what actual charge appeared on my phone bill. That was in April. No phone bill has ever shown either call, so I guess I got them for free.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Richard

Recently switched my long distance carrier to GE. No monthly fee or minimum. All calls I've made to the UK have been 10 cents per minute.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Eva

What is that prefix number called? Who makes them? I honestly am not looking for some SCAM. I would like a nice cheap, legal rate.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 11:57 AM
xyz

Eva...this is not a scam and I resent you thinking I would put a scam in a message. Do a search using Yahoo or Excite for 1016868 or the other one and you will get the full information.<BR><BR>101 dialing can be full of scams..one of them advertises 20 minutes for $.99 but that means 30 secons for $.99, 3 minutes for $.99. Others have in their fine print 7 cents a minute but in fine print indicate a $3 monthly charge or a $1 a call set up fee. 1016868 I've been using for years and the rates are what I said they are. The other one I just found out about and I have checked their web site and they seem to be what they say they are.<BR><BR>Tell you what...make 1 one call using it and then wait to see your phone bill if you don't believe me.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 12:29 PM
StCirq

I've been using 1016868 for my home and business lines for several years. It is definitely not a scam, and the savings are significant.<BR><BR>Thanks for posting the new numer - I'm going to try that one also.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Eva

Thank you for the message XYZ I honestly have never heard of this, so I was ONLY asking and not trying to be rud - hence the SMILEY FACE that I put in my message. I RESENT people thinking that I am accusing people of something when I'm not. ANYWAY thanks for the info and don't be so easily offended.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 09:13 AM
samm

Hi,<BR>Can these numbers be used for calling the US from London?? Do I need an international number alos?? Obviosly I do not travel much!!<BR>Thanks

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 09:16 AM
StCirq

No, Samm, they can't be used to call to the USA from elsewhere.