London..where to start?

Search

London..where to start?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London..where to start?

We are going to London next Fall and I have been reading the old posts on Fodors but still confused.
Can You help?

1. What hotels would I look at for a 3* value (like France 3*) In other words what price would I be looking at?

2. which area would be best for us so we can access the tube easily, with little walking, (husband 79 years) for sites and restaurants? We would love to walk to restaurants from our hotel, but from what I read, that might not be feasible. I do understand the food is not great. Is that true? If so we would need to use the tube more.

3. Museums are our interest..and maybe theater.Looks like we will need to spend a lot more for a 3 *.But we would want a certain degree of comfort. Would appreciate any help. I assume a Paris 3* is not the same.

4. And the biggest question..do I do the airline solo or do I try and get a package or hotel and air...need any help you can give. We would be coming from San Diego and return via Boston.

Thanks for all your help.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 05:05 PM

I think the best thing to do would be to buy a London map and a guidebook or two from your local bookstore's travel section. For a first-time trip, I like Rick Steves books. I have also used the laminated Streetwise maps with the best results -- the maps are easy to read, have lots of detail, but not too much.

You can do your own flights online, but you can also use a travel agent if you haven't done it or just don't feel comfortable making such a big purchase. In my view, using an agent if that's what makes you feel better is fine. I use Orbitz and the other online booking sites, then go directly to the airline and check the same flights to make sure it's the best deal. You can easily fly through Boston on the way back or going both ways.

The Tube in London is cleaner and easier to use than most any city I've ever been to. It has more escalators than Paris does, but you can also grab a cab here and there -- London cabs are not horribly expensive, especially after rush hours when you're less likely to spend time sitting in traffic.

The food in London is not bad -- in fact it's great especially if you like foreign foods. They have very diverse restaurants -- I'll never forget the great Thai place we found on a back street as we wandered away from the National Gallery.

I don't think the star value itself is all that different from London to Paris, but the price you pay is very different. Paris is quite affordable by comparison to London, so you might want to post what your per-night budget is in US dollars, and people here can help you more with real-life recommendations you can live with.

Have a great trip,

Jules
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 05:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are willing to try Priceline, you can get a 4* hotel in central London for around $100/£53/€80. Priceline is much better for London than it is for Paris.

Don't worry about the food - I don't know who told you the food isn't good but they were telling yoo an old wives tale.

Most any neighborhood in central London (at least anywhere w/ nice hotels) will have lots of places to eat w/i walking distance.

I've found in general that air/hotel packages are a bit more expensive than doing them independently. The cheapest packages are usually cheap because the hotels are not good choices. By the time you upgrade to a nicer hotel you are over-spending.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 01:54 AM

I would use janisj's post for a good hotel. As to being near a tube station, most hotel descriptions will mention how close they are to the Underground. Note, some stations may require a bit of walking.

Nearness to restaurants is a matter of luck as they are scattered all around London. Food is very good in the UK. Try fish and chips if you come across a "fish and chip" shop.

Lots of museums, mainly in the Knightsbridge area, as well as central London. Buy a good map and a good (not just fancy pictures) guide book, like Lonely Planet.

http://www.london.world-guides.com/

Note. The tube runs from Heathrow straight into Central London. A taxi is slow and very expensive. There are maps on the internet.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 03:01 AM

Previous posters are quite right. But the reason the tube has more escalators than the metro is that the tube's a lot deeper. Most tube stations have some steps, often infuriatingly placed to make access very difficult if you're not nimble or have bags. There are far fewer totally accessible stations on the tube than on the metro. Overall, walking distances from any average location to a tube station tend to be longer than in Paris too.

Lots of 79 yo's manage all this without turning a hair: some 20 yo couch potatoes find it a bit much. THe standard Tube map (www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf) shows fully accessible stations with a wheelchair symbol, though most stations without the symbol are a serious problem only with luggage or for people
with real disabilities. In practice, if my parents and parents in law are any guide, most healthy people in late middle age (like your husband) can easily walk to and from the tube most of the time - but it's wise to plan to get to and from your hotel by cab when you've got luggage. Or, unless you're arriving through Gatwick, to book a car service on arrival and departure (search just-airports on this forum to get references to reliable competing car firms)

Most buses are a lot more "not so nimble these days"-friendly, the bus network goes far, far closer to most locations, and the mapping and signing for buses - both at the stops and on the tfl website - is now pretty close to being as easy to use as the tube maps. Buses are also a great deal cheaper.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 03:42 AM

For food, avoid anything with "steak", "inn" "inne" or "fayre" in its title
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:29 AM

While we normally rent an apt when in London you might consider the Thistle Hotel at Charing Cross. It's right above the train/tube station (you don't hear the trains) at Trafalger Sq. (many buses outside the door as well). The streets around Trqafalger Sq. have lots of places to eat as well as being right close to the National Gallery. The Thistle at Victoria Station might be a good choice too. Again, right at the Station where you have access to the tube, trains, etc.

There is no one area for good access to the tube, most places are convenient to it, but again some hotels will say "close" but they can mean 4-6 blocks so always check and double check on that.

Food in London is no better/no worse then anyplace else. Lots of fast food places (the familiar and the not so familiar), lots of pasta/pizza places, Denny's like places, as well as very high end cafes. Lots of Chinese and Indian places to eat also. You will NOT starve !! Food is everywhere from sandwich shops (every 5 feet or so it seems) to very expensive restaurants. All the museums have cafes as well and so do major department stores.

Museums are scattered around London, most convenient to the tube/bus but some do require some walking to get to. If your husband is not feeling up to that you might consider a cab on occasion. They are plentiful.

Speaking of cabs - do not take one from the airport into London. I'd suggest a car pick up service. www.justairports.com gets good reviews, however we always use www.london-transfers.com (Ray Skinner). If your husband cannot handle walking with luggage (and not many of us are really that good at that ) I'd go for a service. They meet you as you exit immigration, and you go straight from airport to your hotel. It's a flat fee for the car/driver (plus tip) and well worth it if you have mobility problems or just want the convenience/comfort after a long flight. Leaving from San Diego is a LONG flight (we have done LAX-London many times) so all the comfort you can get for yourself is good !!

We have always done our own air and hotels/apartment ourselves. You might look at packages but figure everything out separately just the same.

London is expensive due to the dollar being so weak against the pound so even a 3* hotel will seem costly in most cases. While they may be similar in quality to a Paris 3* they will cost more in dollars. The Tube system is fantastic (and superior to Paris I think and we have been there many times too). All major museums are free (you can always make a donation) unlike those in Paris. The theater is very varied in offerings and a delightful way to enjoy an evening (or matinee). We always get tickets ahead of time via www.ticketmasteruk, simply because I do like to plan and have them in hand. You pay a service charge but you do that when you buy tickets here in the US for most everything too. We pick tickets up at the "will call" window the night of the show. Never any problem.

Again, there is no one area that is best for access to everything - but there are some areas that are not convenient. Run your ideas/plans through this forum and you will get lots of advice and suggestions.

Old Oct 30th, 2006, 05:06 AM

I agree about the Thistle Charing Cross and its closeness to the Tube..directly above the station and a short walk to the Embankment station as well; it is within walking distance of the National Gallery and close to West End theatres, too.

There are other hotels which are only a short walk to a Tube station: The Ritz (not that you are going to stay there) is literally across the street from the Green Park stop and the Holiday Inn Mayfair around the corner from that same stop; Renaissance Chancery Court is literally around the corner from a stop..the list goes on and on.

Be aware that some of the Tube stations at which you can change lines can involve walking some distances and sometimes at least short flights of steps.

If you don't fancy using Priceline for a hotel a possible alternative would be Londontown.com.

As to walking...if you are arriving at Heathrow, there can be what I can only describe as LONG walks from some of the far jetways; would that be a problem?

As to the airline solo vs airline and hotel: I'd check out the airline package prices and also try to price hotels individually. Be very aware of which hotels the airlie will use and check if this is THE hotel or you will be put into "something similar.'

You could look at reviews on TripAdvisor, too.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 05:14 AM

<b>Reasons to uses buses instead of the Tube</b>

o Bus lines are everywhere - so choosing a hotel for proximity to transport is an automatic

o You don't have to climb down into the ground and out again (see &quot;lifts&quot; and &quot;escalators&quot; above)

o You can see where you are at all times - and jump off any time you see something intriguing

o Changing lines usually involves no walking at all - as opposed to interminible connections through the Tube's HabiTrail tunnels

o You have the run of Greater London (no zone restrictions) for &pound;3 a day on Oyster

o Buses are more &quot;luggage-friendly&quot; - and most of the new ones &quot;kneel&quot; for easy access by people with limited mobility

We only use the Tube for long-distance runs - and switch to a bus if a change to another line is required.

The Marble Arch area is served by twenty-one bus lines that go all over town. Many nice hotels are available nearby.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/pdf/marble-arch.pdf
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

As usual I get great responses...so can I ask another?
re the theaters. We were in London 25 years ago. I don't remember much, (age does that!), but I do remember standing in line somewhere to get half-price tickets. In fact, we didn't see manu sites but we did see 5 shows in 6 days...

Is that still a good way to do it?
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM
yk

Yes, the TKTS booth for 1/2 price tickets is still there. The main booth is in Leicester Sq. They start selling tix at 10am, so get there a bit early to line up.
http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/tkts
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 01:35 PM

yk gave you the info about TKTS at Leicester Square. Probably the same place you used 25 years ago - just a new name/bldg since then. But it is still the &quot;official&quot; 1/2 price ticket booth.

But just one different bit of advice - it usually <u>isn't</u> a good idea to go there before or at opening time. The only time all day long you will face much of a wait is at opening time. Especially since you won't be there in the summer - it will be better to go in the early or late afternoon.

So many people think they need to get there early - that is when there is a long line. Most other times of day you can just walk up and buy tickets.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Be aware that top shows normally do not have tickets available at discount booths. If there is something you just &quot;have to see&quot; then order tickets ahead of time so as not to be disappointed.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

So is there a website with reviews of the London shows?. Thanks
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM

loisco, we have used the airline hotels (BA, Virgin, NWA) multiple times over the past 15 years in London, Paris, Rome and Amsterdam and felt they were fairly priced and perfectly satisfactory. We have chosen the 3*.

The BA site shows the location of their hotels on a small map but not where the attractions are. Spend a few dollars and get a guide book.

Because of my wife's diabetic neuropathy we must plan our trips carefully. We avoid tube changes at Green Park and the Metro changes at Montparnasse for example. The walk from and to some of the gates in London can be quite long but BA has always been ready to supply wheelchair service for her. This has always been the case at any airport and any airline.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 04:42 PM

www.albemarle-london.com (Albemarle Ticket Agency) has a great website with reviews and seating charts. Price wise they tend to be more expensive then TicketmasterUK whenever I've looked at prices. I really like their seating charts and have printed them all out and keep them in a book so it's easy when I order on-line to see exactly what I am getting.

You can also check http://www.broadwaybox.com - just click on London for ticket info.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 05:17 PM

There are several good theatre sites - one of my favorites is londontheatre.co.uk

And while the block busters like Spamalot are not offered at TKTS - most west end show are. Just to give you one example, here is waht was available last Saturday:

Matinee &amp; Evening Shows listed at the Booth on Sat 14 Oct 2006 at 10.30am

MATINEE...
Bent
Blood Brothers
Blue Man Group
Canterbury Tales
Chicago
Daddy Cool
Dancing in the Street
Donkeys' Years
Footloose
Guys and Dolls
Les Miserables (25% off)
Notes from Underground
Phantom of the Opera (25% off)
The Producers
Rock 'n' Roll
See How They Run
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Stomp
Summer and Smoke
Thirty Nine Steps
Voyage Round My Father
Waiting for Godot
We Will Rock You

EVENING....
Bent
Blood Brothers
Blue Man Group
Canterbury Tales
Chicago
Daddy Cool
Dancing in the Street
Donkeys' Years
Footloose
Notes from Underground
The Producers
Rock 'n' Roll
See How They Run
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Stomp
Summer and Smoke
Thirty Nine Steps
Voyage Round My Father
Waiting for Godot
We Will Rock You
Woman in Black

As you can see you will not lack for shows at 1/2 price.

And on a weekdays there is even more availability for evening performances.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

I think you have given me great info. Thanks and lastly will I understand the dialect?..you know at home, we keep our captions on for all the English movies!!!

Old Oct 31st, 2006, 12:57 AM

Yes, in person it's much easier than the sound on TV/movies. No background music to drown out the voices.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 04:13 AM

You will be fine - &quot;accents&quot; (if any at all) are easy to understand in theatrical productions. I might add that if your sightseeing time is limited I would not waste it standing in line someplace to see if I could get discount tickets. (just my thoughts).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -