Search

London - what do do in 1 day

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:08 PM
kct
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London - what do do in 1 day

We are staying over one night in London on our way home from Venice. (Flying into Gatwick at 7pm and out of Heathrow the next day at 4pm)
I need some ideas on where to stay and what to see in a short amount of time. Thanks!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 03:27 PM

Take the Gatwick Express and stay near Victoria Station, since you'll be hopping on again just after lunchtime the next day. One place to consider is right across the street from the station; the Holiday Inn London-Victoria (2 Bridge Place). It has no particular Old World charm or anything, but it's a decent place to stay and you can often get a good rate on a pre-pay basis off the website (I recently booked for 73.50 GBP for some particular dates, for example):

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/home

The neighborhood has some great places to walk to including Big Ben, the Parliament and Buckingham Palace. (I like to walk, but you've obviously got great access to the tube, if you want to range further). You don't have a ton of time, but at least you will have had a taste of London and seen a few famous sites.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:18 PM
kct
Original Poster

Thanks Flyboy. Is Gatwick Express a train? What do you recommend we take from the hotel to Heathrow? Thanks for your suggestions. We don't mind walking so that is great that all of the sites you listed are close to the hotel. Happy New Year!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Yes, it's a train. There is also (not surprisingly!) a Heathrow Express train. You can get instructions on how to catch that from the hotel, if you don't run across what you need to know already by the time you get there. Something I forgot to mention that is also an easy walk is Westminster Cathedral and Westminster Abbey.

Happy New Year to you, too!
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Here are a couple of websites:

http://www.gatwickexpress.co.uk/

http://www.heathrowexpress.com/

There is probably no particular reason to book these tickets in advance unless you feel like it. Note that the Heathrow Express runs out of Paddington Station, but you can easily get there on the tube. (I believe you can actually take the tube all the way to Heathrow, too, for that matter.)
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:53 PM

my suggestion would be the following: take the transit bus from gatwick to heathrow...take a taxi to the windsor area and stay there...i like the courtyard in slough or at windsor or the marriott in windsor...i would spend the next day touring around windsor and then head over to heathrow for your flight...i think the drive to heathrow from windsor is less than 20 minutes...
i would save london for another time...

or alternatively i would stay at heathrow and go over to windsor for the morning before you go home...

priceline has great deals on hotels at heathrow...we just stayed at the marriott for $60...