London - What can I climb?

Mar 28th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Vita

London - What can I climb?

On my trip to Italy, my basic rule was - if I saw stairs, I climbed them - St. Peter's, Monte Gianicolo, all the towers and churches, etc., etc., etc. It not only lead to dramatic views, but offset all of the rich food I was eating and it just felt good. Other than St. Pauls, I was wondering what other sites there are in the city that offer great views?

Mar 28th, 2002, 06:32 AM
bonnie

The top floor of the Tate Modern has great views back across the river, and if you take the stairs, it will give you some exercise.

Mar 28th, 2002, 06:43 AM
ron

The Monument, 200 feet, about 300 steps.

Mar 28th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Philip

Well it doesn't offer great views, but if exercise is what you want, take the tube. Some of the stations have a ridiculous amount of stairs. If the elevator is broken you are really in for a climb. You've never climbed until you've taken the stairs at the Covent Garden station (or was it the Leceister Square station?). Seems like I wouldn't forget that climb.

Mar 28th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Sheila

There is no climbing involved but the London Eye offers a great view.

Mar 28th, 2002, 07:51 AM
Steve Mueller

Try climbing the fence at Buckingham palace, and be sure that your spouse is taking pictures while you do this.

Seriously, it doesn't involve climbing, but if you want great views, try the London Eye.

Mar 28th, 2002, 07:59 AM
jim

Without a doubt, climb to thee top of the dome at St. Pauls.

Beautiful view and a strenous climb.

Mar 28th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Vita

Thanks, Steve. Then I can get some exercise scaling the prison wall. :0

Mar 28th, 2002, 08:13 AM
JP

The tower of Westminster (Catholic) Cathedral on Victoria Street: http://www.westminstercathedral.org.uk/geninfo.htm

Mar 28th, 2002, 08:16 AM
elvira

Never done the Tower Bridge, but can you climb stairs i/o taking an elevator?
How about the campanile at Westminster Cathedral?

Mar 28th, 2002, 08:34 AM
janis

Definitely St Pauls. But my favorite "climb" is a walk through Hampstead Heath. It is all up and down hill (mostly Up Hill) from the tube station up into the parkland and across to the Spaniards Inn and back through beautiful residential areas into the billage to the tube. The views and wide open spaces are wonderful after a few hectic days in London.

Mar 28th, 2002, 08:51 AM
meg

Greenwich Park has a steep climb up from the Queens House to the Royal Observatory (Greenwich Mean Time)with wonderful views across the River Thames

Mar 28th, 2002, 08:58 AM
janis

Make that Village - not billage

And I second a visit to Greenwich. Nice views and a lot of up hill -

Mar 28th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Mike Stump

It isn't a climb but the parks are big and should bring you to your knees. Any of the parks already mentioned are good but Hyde and Kensington which are connected make for a long walk.

You can climb the Tower Bridge although there may be an entrance fee. The bridge has two towers, one on each side. You walk up the stairs to one, across the pasageway between them and down the other side.

Mar 29th, 2002, 12:01 PM
David White

Vita,

How about the relatively unknown monument to the great fire of London? Its about 200 feet high, with a platform at the top. On Monument Street (wonder where they came up with that name?)

You'll have no problems walking off your calories in London!

Dave White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com