Notices

London Walks

Old May 16th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Walks

Have any of you taken "London Walks"? Were they worth your time? How were the pub walks? Would you recommend London Walks?
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Lots of posts here on the forum re London Walks, most of them enthusiastic. I'm not that much of tour person, but I've found the London Walks ones to be very, very good. The pub walks include stops at pubs along the way (obviously) where you can order a pint if you'd like. Nice as you get the opportunity to chat with other people in the tour group.

There's also a Berlin Walks, also excellent. Very well-informed and articulate guides in all instances.
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:58 PM

We did the ghost walk in London about 3 weeks ago and it was great. I would highly recommend them!
Old May 16th, 2003, 02:44 PM

I haven't done one myself, but a friend of mine (whose opinion I respect) has taken a couple of them and thinks they're great.
Old May 16th, 2003, 02:52 PM

lilla - I did 3 London Walks when I was there 2 years ago and enjoyed them all. We did an evening pub, British Museum, and a Westminster walk. I'd highly recommend taking at least one walk to try them out. You don't have to commit ahead, just show up at the location and pay your money then.

adrienne
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:09 PM

I've done a total of six London Walks on my last two trips.Some have been better than others,but I have not been disappointed in any of them.I think to really get the most out them you need to be interested in the local history.Just pick a walk that looks interesting to you ,pay your £5 and enjoy the next two hours.
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:34 PM

We continue to prefer John Muffty's walks. He attracts more intimate groups at the same price. If you type in his name in this forum's search box you'll see comments under #7 along with his e-mail address-he will send you his schedule. He has no webpage yet.
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:02 PM

I've never taken any of the London Walks pub walks, but I've taken several of their other walks, and enjoyed them all. I especially liked the Greenwich, Hampstead, and Legal London walks.

If you have questions about what's covered on any of the walks, you can always e-mail London Walks before you go. I recently sent them an e-mail asking about one of the "special walks" they'll be doing when I'll be in London next month, and I got a very informative reply within 24 hours.

I'm thinking of taking the Christopher Wren walk and Shakespeare's London (the one in Bankside) on my next trip, in June. Can anyone comment on either of those walks?
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:54 PM

And if you want a do-it-yourself walk in the open air, try your local library for a book called 'The Green London Way' bu Bob Gilbert. A choice of 18 walks of about 5 miles each, along carefully-selected streets, commons, heaths, stream-sides, old rail lines and so on. The book gives outstanding descriptions of what you're passing and social documentary of each area. t.
Old May 20th, 2003, 05:47 AM

lilla - we did ripper, globe, and hampton palace last year and enthusiastically recommend them. we're taking our boys in two weeks and we will be "walking" again.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:12 AM

We did the "Day Out" in Rye last month and loved it! Our guide was knowledgeable and friendly, and our group was less than 20 people.
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:51 PM

We taken London Walks on our last two trips. We enjoyed each one. The Ripper walk was quite crowded with Donald as the guide, maybe 25 people on the Ghost walk. I will definitely take other London walks on future trips.
Old May 20th, 2003, 06:34 PM

I went on two walks with them a couple years ago. The Legal London one was interesting and a lot of fun. A pub one was not as great but still pretty good. I think they can vary a bit depending on your guide. I would recommend them.

There are a lot of walks on their website that I want to go on.
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:47 AM

To daph: I tried doing a search for John Muffy, but nothing comes up. Please post his e-mail address here.

Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:51 AM

Never mind - I see now I was not reading the name correctly! Funny how it helps to have the correct info when doing a search.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 11:27 AM

Sorry, I think that address on the old thread is no longer good. Here's the one from his brochure that we got last August when we took his Sunday night Mayfair pub walk.
[email protected]
His website-
www.historicalwalksoflondon.com
seems to still be under construction as of today.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 10:25 AM

I have a question about two of the London Walks:
Regarding the Old Westiminster London Walk, in that 2 hours does the tour actually take you inside all of the places mentioned? (Westminster Hall, the Houses of Parliament, the Jewel Tower, and Westminster Abbey) If just some, which ones do we go into?

Also, in the St. Paul's to the Tower of London Walk, is it just three places we're visiting? (St. Paul's, Tower of London and Globe Theater?)

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! Just trying to figure out which one to do to take in many of the "main" London sites with a guide.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 11:08 AM
MHS

On May 19th we did the Old Westminster by Gaslight Walk. On this walk none of the buildings you mention were entered. The Walk's first stop was a pub close to Westminster (where some members go for a quick bite, etc.) - you had time for a beer if desired. The rest of the walk was just that - a walk with points of interest shown & discussed. At the end of the walk we could, and most of us did, go in and see Parliment at work. Strongly suggest you have an early supper before this walk -- we didn't, but fortunately the convenience store at Westminster Tube Station was open at 10:30pm & had some great sandwiches. On another "practical" note, you can use Parliment's restrooms. No photos allowed.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 01:29 PM

Took the "Jack the Ripper" walk last month. It was ok, lets you get a sense of history though you dont see two of the murder sites and they dont exactly leave you in a great place. I would do it again though and wish we had time to do the other walks....
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 01:40 PM

You don't go in any of the places, just visit, get a little story, and then you could always go back when the walk is finished. That actually works out better because then you learn more about more places, and go back to what particularly interested you. It keeps the cost down too.

Here's what I said in another recent post about London walks:
Message: I've been to London 5 times in the last few years (twice this year) and always do atleast two walks with the Original London Walks company. Meet at a tube station and pay the guide with the blue badge and the fliers held up 5 pounds and enjoy. You can pick up their fliers while in London (white, fold out like a map) or visit the website
http://london.walks.com
I've done ripper walks, pub walks, afternoon walks, as well as the trip to Greenwich. Unbeatable experience for the money, as mentioned 5 pounds gets you a tour with a local guide to places you might not find on your own. I particularly like any walk that uses the terms 'alleyways' and 'nooks and crannies' in the description because you know you're going to venture into parts of London that you would never see on your own. I'd have to have the guide in front of me to see which ones in particular I've taken, but I've never really been on a bad one. Once on an afternoon Dickens walk the area we were visiting was so full of traffic that it made it difficult to hear the guide (another reason alleyways and nooks and crannies are good), and very little is left original to the time in the area, but all other walks were great. I learned so much about so many different topics on the walks. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO