London Visitor Travelcards

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone,<BR><BR>A week or so ago, someone asked if they STILL sell the london VISITOR travelcard at the airport (heathrow or gatwick). Normally you must purchased them before you reach london, but many of us knew that at one time they were selling them at the airports.<BR><BR>At that time, I emailed the question direct to the email given by the tube.com site and I just recieved an answer.<BR><BR>It states that they still sell the card at heathrow at the train information center.<BR><BR>hope this helps.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 05:40 AM
TT

Our family of 5 will be in London over a Sat-Sun-Mon. Two of our children are ages 16 and 18, so will be charged adult prices. In looking at the prices for the 3-day Zones 1&amp;2 Visitor Travelcards (4 adults and 1 child) vs. 3 1-day Family Travelcards, it's cheaper to wait until we get there and purchase the Family Travelcards. <BR><BR>My questions are:<BR>1) Can we include the two older teens in the Family Travel Card, at the adult price of &pound;2.70/day? <BR><BR>2) If we end up getting 3 1-day Family Travelcards, will I need 3 separate passport-size photos for each family member (1 for each day)? That is, do we have to purchase new tickets each day, or will they allow us to make the Family Travelcard valid for 3 days?<BR><BR>In my calculations the cost difference is &pound;56.70 for the 3-day Visitor Travelcards and &pound;34.80 for 3 1-day Family Travel Cards.<BR><BR>Thanks for any helpful suggestions!<BR>TT
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 05:54 AM

Hi TT:<BR><BR>As far as the picture goes, you only need 1 each. When you get your travelcard, they make up a photocard for you - this is a permanent, separate card - so you get 2 things, a photocard and a travelcard. The photocard is good forever, no matter what travelcards you get over time. They also give you a little folding holder with 2 slots - one for the travel card and one for the photocard. <BR><BR>Just another note - you priced out a Zone 1 and 2 travelcard. Just as a caution - you might not need zone 2. I was in London for 10 days and never went into zone 2 (except when going past it to get to Windsor and Hampton Court Palace). You can possibly save some money just getting zone 1 cards.<BR><BR>Have fun!
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Good point about a zone 1 vs. zone 2. The only 2 touristy spots in zone 2 are Greenwich and the zoo. If you will be visiting both of them, then you need the zone 1 &amp; 2 as the extension ticket to zone 2 costs &pound;1 so 2 round trips cost &pound;4 which is more than the difference between zone 1 and zones 1 &amp; 2. Otherwise, even though you might be going to other spots in outer zones, a zone 1 will suffice. The zone 1 is only available in London; it is not available as a Visitor's card.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Go to any Underground ticket booth and buy your travelcards.<BR>Only those cards that are valid for periods of 7 days or more require a photocard..so no, you will not need photos for your cards.<BR>There are weekend travel cards that are valid for use on both Saturday &amp; Sunday.<BR>You would buy a family weekend travel card that would be used by two parents and the youngest child.<BR>The two teenagers would each need their own weekend travel card.<BR>On the Monday you would purchase 1 day travel cards for the appropriate grouping and ages.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 06:31 AM
TT

Thanks for all the quick responses! I realize we may not go out of Zone 1, but all the ticket prices I saw, lumped Zones 1 and 2 together. At any rate, sounds like the best/cheapest option is to just wait til we get there to get the tickets with the various options that we need. That's what I needed to know in terms of the photos and how the older teens would be handled. You all are great!