London Underground question

Feb 25th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1
London Underground question

On a previous trip to London (years ago) I purchased a 7 day Travelcard prior to leaving home. This trip I will only be in London for 2 days over a weekend. Does anyone know if you can purchase a weekend travelcard from the US or must it be purchased in London? And do you need a photocard to use the weekend travelcard, and if so, where do you get the photocards?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.
dizzykat is offline  
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,845
You don't need a photo for the weekend tube pass and as far as I know, it cannot be purchased in the U.S.
Patty is online now  
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,341
Your best bet is to buy an all day travel card for the zones you'll be using which are usually zones 1&2. This can be purchased at any tube station after the morning rush hour(9:00?)and used through out the day and evening for both the tube and the bus. The cost is about 4 GBP.
historytraveler is online now  
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,341
Oops forgot it's the weekend. The all day travel card is still available and the cheapest and easiest and quickest way to go.You can purchase it through the automatic tellers without standing in line. No photo is necessary, but you will have to get a new one each day you're there.
historytraveler is online now  
Feb 25th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,845
If you're traveling on Sat and Sun, it's cheaper to buy the weekend travelcard for 6.40 rather than two all day travelcards. These are also good for zones 1 and 2.
Patty is online now  
Feb 26th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 14
Dizzykat, Check out www.ticket-on-line. You can order ( from the US)a 3 day card for zones 1 and 2. I know that you stated you will be there only 2 days but it might be worth having your pass before you go. No photo is needed and you get it validated the first day you travel.
amanita is offline  
Feb 26th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 375
Not sure what the advantage is to buying it before you go unless it's psychological. Most of the travel cards are widely available in the self-service ticket machines at most tube stations and no photo required, even for the zone 1-2, 7 day now. You can get info on travelcards (and other info as well) here:
carrolldf is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:35 AM.