Reload this Page >

London tube strike July 18th 2002

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:59 AM
andrew

Just a warning for anyone travelling to London. There will be a tube strike from 8pm on Wednesday July 17th through to 8pm on Thursday July 18th.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:33 AM
just

will this be all Tubes or just a majority of them?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:55 AM
andrew

It may not be all trains - only one of the two major unions is on strike but just don't rely on using the tube network as previous disputes have virtually stopped all service

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Kris

Thanks for the heads up. Will that also affect the express train from Heathrow to Paddington?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:01 AM
ron

Kris, no, it will not affect the Heathrow Express or any of the above ground rail lines. It is a ongoing disagreement over the proposed partial privatisation of the London Underground. But you can be sure it will include ALL underground lines. I was in London during one of these one day stoppages last year. It would be a good idea to plan a day of activities close to where you are staying, so that you can walk or uses buses, or plan a day out of London. One thing to keep in mind is that the London Underground system does not stop and start instantaneously; it takes a few hours to shut down and to start up. So you could probably still find trains running after the theatre on the 17th, for example.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Dante

Yeah, it’s good to know, but also be aware that this past March/April we worried ourselves sick about an announced strike start on the day we were scheduled to arrive. It never happened. A lot of worry over nothing. If it does happen take a bus, a ferry, a taxi, whatever. London would still be worth seeing if one had to walk.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Kris

Thanks for the reply Ron. I'm coming into Heathrow on July 18 in the late morning so unless it's cancelled I'm right in the middle of it.<BR><BR>Have you used the bus service from Heathrow? It looks like I can get from Terminal 1 onto a bus into Holland Park which shouldn't be too far from where I'm staying. I can book ahead of time and be assured of a seat. Is an hour enough to get through customs/collect luggage? It looks like its L12 round trip and takes about 43 minutes which is as quick as the tube.<BR><BR>I imagine the Paddington Express will be quite full if indeed there is a strike.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:38 PM
janis

One thing to remember if there is a one-day stoppage: it will not be easy to take cabs or buses since all the people who are normally on the tubes will be on the buses, in cabs, or in private cars and the traffic will be unbelieveble. You will be in competition with the hundreds of thousands of Londoners who also need cabs that day.<BR><BR>So plan on a day on foot - or get completely out of town on a day trip.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:51 PM
ron

Kris, presume you are talking about the Airbus A2? I haven't used it in years, but think it would be an excellent choice for where you are going --- if one of the Holland Park stops is near your hotel. Even if there wasn't a strike, it would be a better choice than Heathrow Express, followed by either tube or taxi..<BR><BR>My only experiences at Heathrow are T3, T2 and T4; in more than a dozen visits, none has taken more than an hour to clear immigration, luggage retrieval and customs. I imagine T1 would be similar.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Sue

Kris, I have used the Airbus A2 several times to Heathrow, and it's great. It makes several stops along Holland Park. Just make sure you get on the right Airbus (not the one that goes to Victoria).

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Kris

Ron, I was looking at the www.gobycoach.com website so it's either National Express or Airbus unless they are the same thing. It looks like you can book in advance but I need to check a map tonight and make sure Holland Park is the closest station.<BR><BR>Obviously if the tube is running it would be my first choice based on price and convenience and then I wouldn't have to worry about my plane running late, etc. And the Paddington Express doesn't get me close enough to my hotel so then I would be stuck looking for a cab.<BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Sylvia

Kris, Evidently the "Airbus" brand is now owned by National Express. (BTW,there is a route to Victoria, but it's NE, not Airbus.) Anyway, my leaflet on the Airbus says there's two stops in the Holland Park area. I've used the Airbus several times, and prefer it to the tube, that's for sure. Good luck!***

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Kris

Has anyone used the London Shuttle to get from Heathrow? From their website it looks like L25 for 2 people so it's more than the bus but it's airport to hotel service for cheaper than a taxi or limo service. It appears to be shared transport though. Just wondering if they were reliable.