Search

London travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London travel

I just learned about 2-for-1 vouchers in London, as I'll be visiting London with my mom (1 child-1 adult) and I still have some questions about our tickets.
So: After reading the web sites, I found out that the cheapest way to visit and travel is buying a Travelcard 1-6 zones. The fact is that will be arriving in Heathrow Airport and we'll have the hotel in Victoria. We want to buy 2 Travelcards with the 2-for-1 voucher for that day..but I don't really know if we can do this from Heathrow Airport. Also I didn't find any voucher to print off. If you can give me the link that goes to, I'll be thankfull. Do I can buy a Travelcard that works with that offer from Heathrow Airport? Or should I buy another ticket for undergroung to Central Station and from there I will can buy the Travelcard? What sort of ticket?
Thanks for help.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 01:13 AM

The site you want is www.daysoutguide.co.uk

It has to be a ticket from a national rail company, not Transport for London that runs the tube, and there is no national rail station at Heathrow, so you'd have to get the tickets that will get you the 2for1s at one of the central London termini.

You're very unlikely to need a travelcard for zones 1-6, zones 1-2, with additional add-on payments for the trips to and from Heathrow should be enough.

Transport for London use the electronic Oystercard on which you can put pay-as-you-go money - NEVER pay cash per individual trip, it's deliberately made more expensive.

There are various combinations of tickets you could get, but to decide the most cost-effective combination of travel and 2for1s depends on how long you are staying and which sights you want to see when.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

We'll be staying 4 days..There is no national rail station at Heathrow? what about this http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...90114/1045/dep ?
so we have to buy an underground ticket for the journey from Heathrow to Central London? How much is it?
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 01:55 AM

No there is no national rail station at heathrow, there is the tube station and the heathrow connect or heathrow express which are not run by national rail but show up on the national rail journey planner (so does the tube).

Yes you need to buy a ticket into London. If you take the tube you can find prices here

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/fares-2014/29089.aspx

Heathrow is in zone 6 so you will cost £5.70 each for the one way journey. Where is your hotel? Heathrow express and connect go into paddington and cost more, but not convenient for most hotels. You could mess about with an oyster as well but I'd just pay the cash fare and be done with it.

If you tell us what hotel you are at we can tell you where to get the paper travel card. It's probably cheapest to get a one day travel card zone 1-2 each for each day to be eligible for the discounts. You can buy them all at once from the ticket booth. Will cost £9 a day each for unlimited travel on tubes, buses and trains in zone 1-2.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 01:57 AM

And use this website for travel in London once in town

http://www.tfl.gov.uk
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 02:43 AM

For four days, there is not much to choose, financially, between buying a 7-day travelcard for zones 1 and 2, or using TfL Oyster pay-as-you-go for the days you're not visiting sites offering the 2for1s, with one-day travelcards from a national rail station for the days that you do want to use the vouchers (though the latter obviously makes for a bit more hassle each day).

You'll need Oyster pay-as-you-go anyway for the trip from Heathrow into central London.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 08:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>cheapest way to visit and travel is buying a Travelcard 1-6 zones<<

Not usually. In 4 days, your only trips into zone 6 (or outside zone 1 most likely) will be from/to Heathrow. And Heathrow doesn't have a train station that issues the paper travel cards.

So . . . <u>assuming you are taking the tube in from LHR</u> . . . You want to get an Oyster with some Pay As You Go ££ loaded on it. You will use this for the trips in and back out to the airport. Then after you are in central London, go to Victoria <u>train</u> station (not the tube or coach stations) and but a 7-day zone 1-2 paper travel card.

You will want to pre-print any of the 2for1 vouchers you might use before you leave home