London Transportation

Jul 5th, 2000, 10:52 AM
Bev

London Transportation

Can someone tell me how to purchase a three-day visitors pass that can be used on the surface transportation and the underground? Should it be purchased in the US prior to travelling to London?

Jul 5th, 2000, 02:48 PM
sally

i've only been to london once so there maybe something i'm not aware of. when i was there we bought a ticket at the subway station that was good for a couple of days i think. very simple to buy at any station i believe. not sure if it worked on any other public transportation because we never tried to use it elsewhere.

Jul 5th, 2000, 04:25 PM
candy

you can buy passes in the states at the british tourist offices. is there one near you? we loved having our week pass, never having to wait in line, no fuss no muss. you can also buy certain passes there, but i'm told the ones you buy here save you more.

Jul 5th, 2000, 04:53 PM
Geoff

Candy,

All of the passes available are sold in London. That is not true here in the US. In the US they only sell the passes for all zones and that most likely is a waste of money as most tourists need only zones 1 and 2. Buy the passes there and you save.

Jul 5th, 2000, 04:56 PM
wes fowler

Bev,
Check the website
www.londontransport.co.uk for information on visitor passes and their costs. There's no need to buy in the U.S. If I'm not mistaken, passes sold from the U.S. encompass zones 1 through 6; tourists to London rarely travel outside zones 1 and 2. Passes for the latter are considerably cheaper than the pass offered here in the U.S.
The pass is good both for the underground and city buses. The latter are an excellent way to see the city. In fact on two city bus lines, the number 11 and the number 15, you can see all of London's major attractions except Buckingham Palace and Harrod's, and with the pass, hop on and off at your leisure. It's a far less expensive option than taking a commercial tour bus ride about the city.

Jul 5th, 2000, 05:02 PM
Linda

You can buy a Travelcard for zones 1 and 2 only in the US. However, when I did this, I had to stand in line at Victoria Station to get the actual passes themselves (I was overnighted some vouchers). So, it seems the only advantage of purchasing them in the US is not having to get a passport photo of yourself for the card.

Jul 5th, 2000, 05:38 PM
Heather

I just tried buying a Zones 1 and 2 Travelcard here for the first time. Not only was it a great thing to have, it was cheaper than if we had bought it there. We received vouchers, then exchanged them at our local tube station. There was no hassel; we didn't even need ID! You can contact your local travel agent for more info.

Jul 5th, 2000, 11:12 PM
Diane

We bought 7-day travelcards at the Marble Arch tube station in late May and there was no line. I believe we paid 16-17 BP.(about $27). That was for zone one only, which took us EVERYWHERE we wanted to go. We knew we had to have pictures, so two of us got an extra passport photo and one of us cut her face out of an old photograph, which the ticketman accepted without question.

We made more of an effort to use buses on this trip than our previous two, and often found we could get a bus home without the transfer and sometimes long walks that the tube trip home required. It helped that we were staying near Marble Arch, a common destination for many buses. We figured out the bus routes by studying the big maps at the bus stops (and asking questions of other people waiting. Of course, my husband never did that!) It was fun coming home after a play, sitting on the upper level of the bus and enjoying watching the night life still out on the streets.

Don't buy travelcards in the U.S. They cost more. And don't buy 6-zone cards. If you want transportation in from Heathrow, use the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station.

Oh yes--here's a great tip. We checked out baggage in at BritishAir AT PADDINGTON. There was almost no line. When we took the Heathrow Express, we didn't have to lug our luggage, and when we got to Heathrow we saw hundreds of people waiting in huge long lines to check in--and we didn't have to join them!

Jul 5th, 2000, 11:18 PM
Diane

Oops! I meant to say we checked OUR baggage,