London Tour Guide

Old Jul 9th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

London Tour Guide

In the very early stages of planning trip to London for next year. We are three senior citizens, two who have never been to London, I am familiar with London, having visited family numerous times, and good with taking the tube or buses.. For one our group it might be harder to navigate stairs to the tube stations, etc, so looking for a tour guide with a car who could personalize a tour for a day to get a good overview of the London attractions. Would appreciate any suggestions.
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 08:33 AM

Just a quick note now (not re a tour guide but re transport) . . . The tube is not your only option for getting around. The regular TFL buses are easy with no steps of any kind. And for a group of three taxis are a viable option. Plus most of the Jubilee line, local trains, and the DLR are all accessible. My last two visits I had mobility issues and managed with a combo of all the above.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
Just a quick note now (not re a tour guide but re transport) . . . The tube is not your only option for getting around. The regular TFL buses are easy with no steps of any kind. And for a group of three taxis are a viable option. Plus most of the Jubilee line, local trains, and the DLR are all accessible. My last two visits I had mobility issues and managed with a combo of all the above.
thanks for info,, I mostly travel by tube, but was concerned as there always seemed to be the steps from street level to station, before I got on the escalator to the platform, . Still, because of lower energy level I think a tour guide for a day might be good, so she would have a good introduction and overall feel of London, and then with that info. could pick and choose where we would be making a return visits, maybe by taxi etc.. I'm love the boats down the Thames to Greenwich or Richmond, so for so for sure will do that.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 08:30 PM

I haven't used them myself but have heard of London Black Taxi Tours, you could check them out LONDON BLACK TAXI TOURS.COM - HOME

Also there was an article recently in the travel section of The Australian newspaper about a tour company that uses Mini Coopers in London. The person who wrote the article said the tour was good but it was a bit tight in the back seat. There are probably other companies around as well.

https://smallcarbigcity.com/tours/

Kay
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 09:14 PM

Blue Badge guides have very good reputation. Only assuming they do private tours. Years ago, I hired Blue Badge guides in both Edinburgh and Glasgow. Both were excellent.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 09:21 PM

Here’s their website... www.guidelondon.org.uk. Have a look.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 10:37 PM

Another vote for a Blue Badge guide. They are very knowledgable.
I would get a guide, and use regular taxis to go from one site to the next. A guide with a car would have to park whenever you want to go into a museum, which is a problem.
If you just want to go around London to get an overview, one of the tour busses (hop-on-hop-of) could be an option.

Or you can just plan your own itinerary, and take a taxi between the different places you want to visit.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 02:33 AM

You could check to see if the buses will help, once you're orientated:

key-bus-routes-in-central-london.pdf