Ideas for itinerary while in Italy

Old Jul 18th, 2018, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Ideas for itinerary while in Italy

My future husband and I are going to Italy for 2 weeks on our honeymoon. 9/23-10-8. We will be flying into Venice and making our way down via car and flying out of Naples. We enjoy road trips and the freedom of having our own car, so we will not be deviating from that plan. We would like to stop and visit Rome and Florence along our journey, we would prefer to spend most of our time in the Tuscan region and along the Amalfi Coast. Trying to come up with an idea of how long we should spend in each place. We are open to ideas. We are also looking at staying in various areas of the coastline, ie italian riviera, tuscan coast, etc. Thank you in advance for your time and help!
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Here's a sketch of what it could look like, fill in the blanks and adapt as works for you. If you are talking about 2018, I would be looking at accommodations asap. In the meantime, also read about Tuscan towns and areas so you can pick which are to focus on (there are a lot of options!).
Venice 3 days
Pick up car, drive to somewhere in Tuscany, about a week, visiting Florence from afar because you don't want to drive in!
Skip Rome?
Drive to Amalfi Coast (I'd still drop the car en route, to avoid the parking and traffic nightmare you will be otherwise encountering); about a week
last night Naples

I think at this point you need to make some hard decision about which places to keep and which to save for an anniversary trip.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 12:16 PM

I'd end up in Rome after ditching the car as you probably want to spend a few days there before flying out. Actually, good idea to maybe to return car before Amalfi as as yorkshire says rather useless there and take train back to Rome or private driver. Yeah, driving is great in areas like Tuscany but not on Amalfi and certainly not Rome.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 12:21 PM

@PalenQ, they are already booked out of Naples, which was why I suggested the option to skip Rome (to allow time for making better use of the car, and since it is fairly easy to fly there when they return).
While a whole week would not be necessary for the Amalfi Coast, it sure would be a nice way to cap off a honeymoon, it allows time to add more wandering with the car earlier, and if Naples, Paestum, Pompeii, and islands are on the agenda, a week would be used up quickly.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 12:43 PM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! That is our favorite time of year in Italy. In fact, we will be there at that time as well. We have driven numerous times from northern areas to Rome, but we usually dump the car before spending time in Rome. During southern trips, we have also dropped cars off in Naples before Amalfi visits. As other posters have suggested, it's not fun to drive in Rome, Naples or the Amalfi coast. Rail from Rome to Naples/Amalfi area is easy and quick. You might consider a couple of memorable places on your way down, San Marino and Civita di Bagnoregio, come to mind. As for Tuscany, we have happily based ourselves in Montepulciano, Volterra and Florence. We also prefer Sorrento near Amalfi as a base, but we are "tourists" and find that location easier to access lots of places; but as a honeymoon couple, you might prefer to settle in a a romantic spot like Positano.
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your insight. I definitely won't be taking a car into Rome. One of the places we are looking at staying while in amalfi does have a garage, does that make a difference in thoughts on the car while there? Thanks again!
Old Jul 18th, 2018, 12:49 PM

We have used a car happily and easily on our last three visits to Italy, but I would not want one on the Amalfi coast at that time of year (still fairly busy). On the coast road, the driver won't get to enjoy the views, and when you take it anywhere, the parking is problematic. There are ferries among all of the places you are likely to want to explore.
The car will be wonderful in Tuscany and anywhere else rural you take it, but the thought of being stuck behind a line of cars and especially buses on the AC is a nightmare to me. Splash out on a private driver one day instead is my advice.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 07:09 AM

The car will be wonderful in Tuscany and anywhere else rural you take it, but the thought of being stuck behind a line of cars and especially buses on the AC is a nightmare to me. Splash out on a private driver one day instead is my advice.>

How can private driver negotiate those mobed roads any faster. They could drive to Amalfi Coast hotel and park car for their stay and drive back to Naples or Rome but would be a waste of a week's car rental or so.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 07:19 AM

Ferries are wonderful on the Amalfi Coast. No traffic, no fumes, nice breezes.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 07:30 AM

http://www.livesalerno.com/ferry-connections

Yes ferries great and run thru end of your trip.

Last edited by PalenQ; Jul 19th, 2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 07:37 AM

PalenQ, I was more thinking a driver might know secrets a visitor would not (though obviously there is only one road for much of it). If I wanted to get to a trail head or something, I would hire a driver. Agree it is a waste if it is just going to sit in a garage.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 08:09 AM

you don't want a car in Florence, if you have to have one look up the car park hidden against the old walls by the Roman gate, always spaces
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 08:09 AM

Congrats, kellsbells81

Venice
Ravenna
Perugia
Naples

Please look up the two in the middle above to see if they appeal. You could spend several nights in each place and do some day trips. Whoever is driving on the Amalfi Coast won't be able to savor the views. Take a bus, get a driver or, as mentioned above, take a ferry for good viewing. If you have time, search this forum for specific cities. You'll get trip reports and all kinds of information.

Last edited by TDudette; Jul 19th, 2018 at 08:10 AM. Reason: edit
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 10:07 AM

With regard to visiting Florence, there is excellent information here about parking lots outside the ZTL areas (which are described here, too): https://www.visitflorence.com/floren...-florence.html An alternative to parking close to the city center is to take a bus into the center. The SITA bus line runs frequent buses from attractive towns including Greve and Siena. The bus station is in the city center and an easy walk to the Uffizi, the Accademia (where the David statue is), the Ponte Vecchio, etc. Here is the bus schedule to/from Florence and Greve, Panzano and other stops: 365.pdf Here's the schedule between Florence and Siena: Florence Siena bus - Sitabus.it

If you stay in Amalfi, I highly recommend going to Ravello. You can visit one of the gardens there, visit the main church with a very surprising Jonah and whale statue, stop for an aperitif or a meal, etc. You might even attend a convert there. You can go there by SITA bus:https://www.ravello.com/sita-bus-schedule/

On your return, you could take one of the excellent walking paths down to either Atrani or to Minori, which will give you views into gardens along the way and spectacular sea views. (You can get directions from the excellent tourist office or a guidebook.) You can walk between Atrani and Amalfi. From Minori, you can take one of the little ferries back to Amalfi.

Last edited by IdyllicItaly; Jul 19th, 2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Added info about walking between Atrani and Amalfi.
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 01:23 PM

I feel 3 days in Venice can be cut short to 2.
Try to visit Portofino. It is one of the most picturesque villages in Italy.
In Tuscany you can have an easy day trip from Florence.
Drive to PONTASSIEVE, POPPI, AREZZO TO SIENA, CASTELLINA IN CHIANTI,COLLE DI VAL D'ELSA AND SAN GIMIGNANO and back to Florence.
Lucca and Pisa can be another day trip.
Sorrento can be a very good base.
You can take a day trip to Capri.
Another day trip to Amalfi, Positano.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 04:20 AM

Here is another suggestion for the beginning of your honeymoon. After your stay in Venice, take the train to Florence. The high speed trains are very comfortable and much quicker than driving there. Plus, you arrive very close (walking distance) to the historic center. Spend a couple of nights there and then pick up a rental car for your time in Tuscany. In Tuscany, you could choose one location and make day trips as you like. Radda in Chianti is a charming small town with Volpaia and Badia a Coltibuono very easy and charming excursions. Siena is a little further but a very easy day trip.
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 06:20 AM

And return car in Chiusi and take train to Rome - Montepulciano - fab hill town just a short drive from Chiusi.