A Week to Kill - Rome to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a week (7 days) to spend in Italy in between cruises - both depart and end in Rome/Civitavechhia. I will be there the first week of October. I've rented a car at the port, and then can head out. I've been to Rome before, although it's been 13 years. I've also been to Pienza, Siena, Florence, Milan, and Cinque Terra. So. I would like very much to maybe head south for a few days and drive the Amalfi Coast, visit Naples, Pompeii and Herculaneum. I love all things archaelogical. I also love scenic vistas, wine and pizza. I guess I'll be in the right place for those things! I'm traveling alone.

I'm a bit stymied with planning an itinerary. I wouldn't mind spending another day up by Pienza, and a day or two in Rome, at the end of my week. Is 3-4 days enough to do the Amalfi/Naples/Pompeii area without rushing myself? I sort of planned for 2 days to do Pompeii and Herculean. Does one just drive the Amalfi Coast in one day, or is it a multi-day type of drive/stay? I see from the map of the country that it's about a 2-3 hour drive from Rome to Naples, without stopping, obviously. I thought if I leave Civitavecchia first thing in the morning, after disembarking the ship and picking up the car there, I could probably get to Naples by noontime. Visit Herculaneum that afternoon, and Pompeii the next day, then start heading down the coast?

I don't want to rush, per se, I'd like to enjoy my week, but I'd also like to see some things I haven't before, and maybe revisit the two places I visited before, for a nice refresher.

Any ideas, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by scluvsrain; Apr 17th, 2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 03:36 PM

Sorrento would be a good base for first night - easier driving into than Naples and hotels with parking easy to access. Could be a base for driving Amalfi too though perhaps Amalfi town area would be better - could drive out via Salerno and hit Paestum- awesome Greek temples and head back to Rome via Caserta- the Italian Versailles - a UNESCO World Heritage Site recently rehabbed.
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 08:38 PM

I know you're coming in October but most of what you're looking at won't be helped by the car.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 06:11 AM

Yes, like Amalfi is awful to drive around - and Capri and islands seen by ferry. Easy to take trains the whole way - or if afford it car transfer Civitavvechia to say Sorrento.

For driving going up coast to Cinque Terre area could be viable.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 06:34 AM

This may seem unusual at first, but has worked well for us twice. We have given up one night on a cruise to save travel time backtracking the next day. Does your first cruise stop in Naples the last day before Rome? If so, consider departing the ship there and save backtracking from Civitavecchia. Yes, you lose one night on the ship, but gain a day for sightseeing.

The port is right downtown in Naples, making it super easy to navigate. There are then many options for arranging things. You could check into a hotel in Naples and spend the afternoon in Herculaneum. You could instead, catch a ferry to Capri for the day and night. The next day, ferry to Sorrento and tour Pompeii from there.

If instead, the second cruise makes the first stop in Naples, I would consider joining the cruise there rather than returning to Civitavecchia the night before.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Those are good ideas, thank you so much! I'll look into them.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 11:25 AM

I think you'll be fine in the car, though I would avoid driving and parking in Naples too. If you look at my current trip report, I've covered a lot of what you're looking to do (driving on the Amalfi Coast, seeing Pompeii and Herculaneum, even Pienza and Sienna). Some mentioned Paestum and I would highly recommend that if you have the time. I've been there on a previous trip and it's lovely (covered on my blog).
Since you like ruins, have you been to Ostia Antica outside Rome? Perhaps you could see that before starting cruise #2.