Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Tour Companies - Evans Evans or Golden?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 09:33 AM
Von

After getting many great replies from previous posts, I realize that most of you feel it is better to do London "on your own" instead of full day tours. But because we are pushed for time (2 1/2 days) we might opt for a full day tour of the city and a full day of Stonehenge,Bath, and Salisbury. What tour comapnies are receommended? Evans Evans seems to be the biggest. Golden Tours has a good full day in London that seems better than Evans itinery? Any feedback? Also is it safer and cheaper to book the tours before we leave and opposed to having the hotel do it? (We purchased tickets to Cats over the phone as opposed to the large markup the hotel wanted to charge for getting us tickets!) <BR>Please advise on tours? Thanks!

Old Jun 18th, 1998, 12:48 PM
Marty

I used Evans/Evans in London for a 1/2 day acclimation tour and enjoyed it. Just be prepared to leave early in the morning. Might I suggest that you try the hop-on/hop-off bus? You buy a ticket at the bus, and it goes through London with a guide. It is a double decker, opened top bus. You can get off and at any site and get back on the next bus. Seems like in was about $17, but the ticket is good for 24 hours. You can get on at the Marble Arch at the end of Hyde Park. Take the tube to Bayswater and you will be close. Just cross Bayswater Street and walk across Hyde Park and you will see lost of open-topped buses.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 06:05 AM
robin

We booked several day trips with Frames Rickards <BR>one to Salisbury, Stonehenge and Bath and the other <BR>to Canterbury, Leeds Castle and Dover. Frames Rickards was great. Also, if you pick up the "london for less" book with discount card included <BR>you will save 20% when you book directly with Frames <BR>over the phone. We had no problem booking tours after we arrived in London, by calling them direct from our hotel. In both cases, we called the day prior to the trip we wanted to take. They booked us <BR>by phone with a credit card and picked up at our hotel. We could have never done as well on our own <BR>as we did on these tours. They know where to go, etc. give great commentary on the bus.