London to Edinburgh to Milton Keynes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2021, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of January, I will be spending time in London, going on to Edinburgh and the going to Milton Keynes. I’d like to take the train at least one way. Is it most efficient to train to Edinburgh and then fly to Luton?
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take the night train from London to Edinburgh. There are direct day trains from Edinburgh to Milton Keynes. Also a very few direct coaches, but they take longer.

For Caledonian Sleeper see: https://www.seat61.com/sleeper-to-scotland.htm (Also for all you need to know about traveling by train in the UK.)

For schedules for day trains see: https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servi...journey/search
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 12:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you fly (Easy Jet) it takes about 1.5 hours plus the preflight time at EDI . . . and then the bus or train from Luton to MK takes nearly as long.

But - do they have to be in that order London > Edinburgh > Milton Keynes? Or can they be rearranged? Because Milton Keynes is merely 30 - 35 minutes from Euston Station.

Could you do Edinburgh > London > MK? Because that is a better linear route time wise . . .

Old Nov 18th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

The train sounds better than Easy Jet.

if I change the order, it might be tricky with reservations I have, but London, Milton Keynes, Edinburgh should be possible.
Old Nov 18th, 2021, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for such good links!
Old Nov 19th, 2021, 10:32 AM

I used to commute regularly between London and Edinburgh, usually by air either from London City or Heathrow and always when someone else was paying. and quite Franky, I was always swayed by the airline points I was accumulating! It doesn’t necessarily save much time especially when you factor in airport waiting and transfer times etc.

The easiest/cheapest way by train would be to buy a return from Kings Cross to Edinburgh and when returning to Kings Cross it is only 10 mins on the Victoria Line or q 15 min walk to Euston where trains to MK tap around 45 mins.

I would definitely check out the cost of First Class tickets on the train. Much more space, quieter compartments and even decent food on some services.
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the help. I was able to eliminate Milton Keynes so I will take a day train northbound and the sleeper on the return.