Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London to Amsterdam? Is it worth the trip for 2 days?

Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

I have just booked a flight to and from Heathrow from 9/18-27th. For the past few days I've had it in my head that I want to go to Amsterdam. I'll be traveling from London to the West Midlands or a day or 2 but if its possible I'd like to go to Amsterdam.

After comparing the prices and time taking Eurostar or a flight, I have decided that the bet and only option for me if I do decide to go to Amsterdam is taking the train/ferry/train using dutchflyer. It looks like it would take approx 3 1/3 hours. My plan would be to leave on Friday morning from England, and then leave Sunday morning and arrive back in London in time for my 4:30 flight. There apepars to be a problem with the dutchflyer website at the moment, when I go to book I am getting an error message...it says they have 2 departures a day. If for some reason they dotn have one on Sunday morning leaving Holland, then this whole thing cant be done.

Here are the main things I'd like to do in Amsterdam

Day 1:

Anne Frank House
Bike tour (3.5 hours) I've been reading reviews and I've heard that its easy, and that its difficult. I am in my 20's but also not the most physically fit person. I havent been on a bike in years.

Day 2:
Sandemans Walking tour (3.5 hours) I would also consider a bus tour, especially after the bicycling the day before but I havent found one yet
St. Nicholaas Boat Club (1 1/2 hour) tour on a small open boat
Dam Square

Also I plan on visiting some coffeehouses. I suppose they are all similar.

Some other things I'd like to check out but arent essential:
Sexmuseum
Randy Roys RLD tour

I figured I'd ask the more seasoned travelers here whether you thought the whole thing was feasible or it would be better to stay in England the whole time, and then come back next year and spend more time in Amsterdam. I was in London for a week last year, but I'm sure there's plenty I didnt see. The Dutchflyer costs £58 roundtrip (from what i gather, that included the train from Liverpool St all the way to Amsterdam but the site's down so I'm not positive) but when I think about how much money I would spend in London compared to Amsterdam, I think it pays for itself. I'm moreso worried about being too tired.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:31 PM

It looks to me like you should have booked Amsterdam for your whole nine days. Your Amsterdam wannado list is just scratching the surface.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes I know..but I thought I could go just for a few days and then come back next year for longer. Unless it would be more hassle than its worth.
I know I wont be able to do everything I want, but surely I could do some? Especially the bike ride through the countryside, the boat ride, and just walking around town. I could also leave London a day earlier on Thursday morning?

In my OP I forgot to say thank you for any advice offered
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:44 PM

Why did you exclude the possibility of a flight? EasyJet was very easy when I did this trip.

As for going for the weekend, why not? I'm sure you can make good use of the time.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
ron

I don't know where you get the 3 and 1/3rd hours. It is 12 hours for the journey from London to Amsterdam, 90 min train to Harwich, 6h 30m on the ferry, 1h 45m on the Dutch trains, plus connecting time.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Well first I would have to go all the way to Heathrow from central London. That will take 1 hour maybe? Plus I would need to be at the airport atleast an hour before. Then I would be flown into the Amsterdam airport and I would have to figure out how to get into town. If I take the ferry/train, I'd be left off at Centraal station I think. It looks like it would take atleast 3 1/2 hours as well, and the flights I saw cost $170 roundtrip.

Also i forgot to ask, would I be able to get around to most of the attractions by foot? I'd rather not have to figure out public transport. I forgot to mention I'll be by myself. I havent even found a hotel yet but I thought I should try to stay as close to Centraal station as possible.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Ron, I meant to say 3 1/2 hours. Typo.

90 minutes from Liverpool St to Harwich port in England. Then an hour to get to Hook of halland, and then another hour to get to Amsterdam.

They have an overnight voyage but obviously I'm not interested in that.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Well it looks like I've made a big mistake.
dutchflyer website is back up and yes, it would take all day to get to Amsterdam. I've had 15 browsers up all day I guess my eyes were playing tricks on me. I dont know where I got an hour from.

My only options now would be to fly or take Eurostar.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:55 PM

If I had an international flight out of Heathrow at 4:30 p.m. I sure wouldn't want to stay in Amsterdam until the same morning. The earliest EasyJet flight gets you to Gatwick at 10:40, and the earliest Eurostar gets you to London at 12:26. You can't be assured that you will get back to London on time.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM

I agree with Musicteacher on that point. Personally I have had too many delays on one form of transport or another to be comfortable with that arrangement.
Aug 24th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Yes I think if anything I would take Eurostar. Then I could catch an 8:00 train from Amsterdam and make it back to London at 12. Then I'd have 2 hours to get to the airport.

As much as I wanted to visit Amsterdam this time, I think its best if I just stay in England this time and plan out an Amsterdam trip for next spring.
Aug 30th, 2009, 05:02 AM

It's probably smarter to wait until spring....but I wouldn't because I love Amsterdam too much, even if only for a day Easyjet is so much better than the Eurostar, which is often delayed on one side of the chunnel or another (is that thing still open) and it costs more than the damn flight. For the record, the Sexmuseum is cheap but you get what you pay for. You'd probably find more novel/unique/different things/displays at the average sexshop. And besides, who needs a sexmuseum when there's the Banana Bar and Casa Rosso? Coffeeshops are more or less the same, but I still manage to have my favorites:

Rokerij: My absolute favorite because they sell the best product, and soooo many different varieties! I'm talking about tea of course and always wander in for just a cup and leave like 5 hours later incredibly hopped up on caffeine leaving nothing but a line of empty teacups behind me.

Relax: Nice, not very touristy and frequented by locals, and they often run very good bulk deals on their superb non-tea products

Abraxas: I don't particularly know why, but it must be the decor. I like colorful places, and they usually play good music. And the brownies are good.

Coffeeshop 36: Really touristy but I have some weird sentimental attachment to the place, and the view out the back window is so soothing. And more good brownies. And places with pool tables always get my vote.

Anyplace you stay in the center is good because the center is really small, and very easily walkable, though tram service until midnight is fast and frequent. The trams cost a fair bit, so I usually prefer my feet, or at least a strippenkart since that's a waaaay better deal, though I doubt you'll use all those rides in 2 days. Lately I've been booking through: http://www.iamsterdamapartments.com/ with very positive experiences. English speaking help, very nice helpful keyholders, and nice, very affordable flats, and well stocked too! The buildings are about 5-10 min Leidseplein, a popular square and tourist destination, but also full of shops, theaters, clubs, etc. Trams stop right outside the door of the apartment (quiet street though....don't trust me though, I live in Rome which might be the noisiest place on Earth) and get you downtown in less than 10 minutes too. I hope that was helpful, even if you do end up waiting until spring!