London theatre tickets prepurchasing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was interested in getting tickets to a London performance at the Theatre Royal Haymarket. I've checked Ticketmaster UK, best seats are row V, checked ticketweb.co.uk, best seats are row M (curiously for every performance I checked). Is it possible that there are better seats out there besides the overpriced ticket brokers? Is it worth my time to try calling the box office directly?<BR><BR>Thanks for any tips you might have!
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Absolutely. Call them directly.<BR><BR>We did that last year for MFL and got great seats.<BR><BR>We also bought tickets for Blood Brothers at TKTS and were happy with them even though the same day tickets were in the balcony. Very, very small theatre so it was fine.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 01:03 PM

In my opinion the best way to get advance seats is to call the box office directly. It will also save you money, as they will take a credit card and hold the tickets there for you, so there is no service charge at all!! They will also have the best seats available as opposed to some ticket services which may simply have some pre-blocked seats. <BR><BR>Just make sure you call during normal box office hours there. Otherwise your call is likely to be routed to Ticketmaster or another service. You can also go to www.albemarle-london.com and look at (or print out) the actual seating chart so you know what you are talking about. If you need the box office number, you can get it at www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 01:10 PM

I second the opinion that it's worth it to call directly. You'll be able to speak to an actual person who can find the best seats, based on your personal preferences, AND you won't have to pay the broker's fee. (Of course, you'll have to pay for the international phone call, but chances are that will be less than what you'd pay the broker.) Just remember to figure the time difference and call during regular business hours in London.<BR><BR>Before you call, you might want to take a look at www.theatremonkey.com, which has tips about which seats to buy and which to avoid at most London theatres.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the confirmation, I will try tomorrow! I thought it was rather curious that Ticketweb started with M no matter which day you selected. That must be their block of tickets.<BR><BR>Funny, in Chicago, I seem to get better seats from Ticketmaster than I do visiting the box office.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 02:45 PM

Yea, Kristi, I know what you mean. Ticketmaster (and/or telecharge) seem to have the US locked up. You CANNOT call and get tickets to a Broadway theatre by phone -- it is required to go through one of the agencies and then they hit you with about $12 to $15 worth of fees for a pair of tickets. London is totally different and a much better system in my opinion.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Patrick, on the other hand though, I strolled past all the folks lined up at the box office for Lion King tickets (in Chicago), signed on my computer and got really good seats within a matter of minutes. One of the VERY few times I thought Ticketmaster was actually a convenience.<BR><BR>And very few other productions sell out, I get most of my Chicago tickets through Hot Tix at 1/2 price.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 04:02 PM

I bought tickets for Blood Brothers throught lastminute.com. I think there was no service charge (but don't quote me-if there was it was too minimal to rember). When we got to will call, they were waiting for us in an envelope.