London theatre reviews

Search

London theatre reviews

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London theatre reviews

I know I can visit some sites for reviews of current plays in London -- however, I trust Fodorites more. Has anyone seen "Stones in His Pockets or "The Woman in Black." We don't care much for musicals so these look interesting. Any comments?
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:01 PM

Stones in His Pocket is a two man play , each man plays a half dozen or so different quirky characters.<BR>It takes place on an almost bare stage, the chief prop is a large wood chest .<BR>The morphing from one character to another is rapid and is achieved by different Irish and American accents and wonderful facial expressions.<BR>It's billed as a comedy and the dialogue is funny, but there are moments of pathos.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 06:16 PM

Pandora has done a great job of describing Stones in His Pockets (is that your box on stage, Pandora?). Woman in Black is quite similar, except that the two men in it tell a ghost story. I loved Stones in His Pockets in which the two actors really became the characters -- terribly funny stuff. But I hated Woman in Black, and found it dull as dirt.<BR>In all fairness, I saw Woman in Black many years ago just after it had opened and the two men never &quot;became&quot; anyone except themselves -- very slow, dull storytellers. But other people love it and it must have been much improved, as it has been playing for years now, but it's main draw is that it is the included offering on almost every theatre and non-theatre tour that goes to London. Woman in Black remains the only play I remember falling asleep in, and I see a LOT of plays!
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:06 PM

Have seen both more than once - Woman in Black is an old war horse that is basically kept afloat by tourists. Don't get me wrong - it is a decent play but certainly does not warrant a 10 year run.<BR><BR>Stones in His Pocket is a brilliant play. The writing especially. One thing to consider tho'. I have talked to several people who didn't get it. The only common traits I can identify is most of these were folks who either didn't understand a lot of British/Irish accents or were not regular theater goers. Most people LOVE the play - but you do need to stay alert to all the accents and character changes. One American gentle man sitting next to me in Dec didn't figure out until after it was over that one of the characters was female (there are two females). The entire plot didn't make sense to him because of this.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 03:34 AM

Have seen both of them, and basically have to agree with the previous poster regarding &quot;knowing&quot; what character is being played by which actor in &quot;Stones&quot;....<BR>I caught on a bit late, and I think it was likely due to my lack of &quot;real&quot; knowledge re: accents....<BR>OTOH: I enjoyed &quot;WIB&quot; more than others have described here,,,,I found it a bit creepy, but it was billed that way and I got pretty much what I was told to look for in that respect.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip in any event!! Best wishes, Dave
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 05:03 AM

Another solid endorsement for Stones in His Pocket. We saw it in New York with the two actors from the original London production and love it.