London Theatre: Blue Man Group

Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

London Theatre: Blue Man Group

Has anyone seen this "show"? I'm going to london with my husband next month and we have already seen mamma mia, les miserables, phantom of the opera and the lion king. We prefer musicals, but there doesn't seem to be a great new one at the moment...do you recomend the blue man group??
Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:38 PM

I saw it in Chicago and in Boston. It's an entertaining show-different, odd but fun.
Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

my husband doesn't speak english really well, so I prefer a musical than an ordinary theatre play...but I'm not sure if the BMG will be too modern for us...It's not cheap, so I don't know what to do...
Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:51 PM

The Blue Man Group doesn't use any words, so your husband should understand pefectly. They do use a lot of paint and drums and such!

I saw it in Boston. It is *Different* than your typical musical. Can you get half price tickets?
Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

don't think so, I've looked at all "ticket selling pages" and the moment, the cheapest are at the official BMG page (which is a surprise, isn't it?)I'm not really sure what to do..I'm thinking of going to see Billy Elliot, but after watching the film, it might be more or less the same thing
Mar 24th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

uppp
Mar 24th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Neopolitan

"There doesn't seem to be a great new one at the moment"?

You've answered your own question when you mentioned Billy Elliot. So what if it sort of follows the movie (but a lot different and turned into a real musical)? If your husband has seen the movie then he should be able to understand it all the better. It is a GREAT show. If you can get tickets.

Mary Poppins? It isn't just for kids.
Guys and Dolls?
The Producers?
The very fun musical Mack and Mabel, in previews now?

Mar 24th, 2006, 08:10 AM

I've taken a few visitors from Europe to see it here in Boston and they loved it. You definitely don't need to know English to appreciate it.
Mar 25th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

and has anyone seen Billy Elliot? if anyone has seen both, thats even better!!
Mar 25th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

up
Mar 25th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Neopolitan

Yes, I've seen both. My opinion? Billy Elliot is a major musical production. It is well done, polished, and professional. There's a reason it won the Olivier (like our Tonys) for best musical last year. There is a lot of singing, dancing, full orchestration, and good acting. It's a huge cast on a big stage filled with elaborate sets with a full orchestra. There is a major story line and some touching as well as funny moments.

Blue Man Group is not a major musical. It is a little piece that is both bizarre and extremely fun. The guys are talented at what they do. There is no story, there is no actual choreography, there are no real sets, there are no true musical numbers.

Trying to compare the two is not unlike saying "I like sports. Should I go to an NFL football game or should I go to the Foozball tournment they're having at the local pub?" In other words, both could be fun, but the two shouldn't be compared to each other.

Mar 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM

I would personally not suggest to see the blue man group.

Maybe you can look at the smaller theatres and get a more authentic London show? It may not be as flashy as the broadway types, but it will be more authentic of the London theatre scene.
Mar 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM

i would not pay full price to see blue man group. this show is very dated and should haved closed years ago. there is no creativity in doing the same thing for well over 15 years. if they were as creative as they want to appear, they would have thought of some new concepts.
Mar 25th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Neopolitan

Interesting idea that Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Miss Saigon, Cats, Woman in White, and many other HUGE shows are apparently NOT authentic examples of the London theatre scene. Broadway musicals used to be big, then the London theatre made them BIGGER.

Of course there are wonderful smaller scale shows too, but both are "authentic" London theatre experiences, not copies of Broadway. Broadway has copied London, not the other way round when it comes to mega-musicals.

May 5th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

I finally went to see the blue man group and didn't really like it. I suppose in US (for example the new show they have in las vegas) the shows are better, in bigger theatres and with more special effects. This show was fun, but no way worth the price, wchich is not cheap (51 pounds each)
if I go to US maybe I'll try to compare both, but in London, I wouldn't recomend it to anyone...sorry, is my opinion
May 5th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Thanks for coming back to this thread to provide your feedback, Carlota. I have a feeling I would have felt the same as you....

If you're ever going back to London, you might check for shows on lastminute.com They will not have the big name musicals, but I lucked out once and got tickets to the Royal Ballet, which was spectacular. Even if you (or your husband) aren't big fans of the ballet, they perform in a beautiful venue, with a world-class orchestra and gorgeous sets and costumes.

There are also usually lots of tickets to smaller plays, which might or might not be musicals.

May 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Meant to say that tickets on the lastminute site are discounted, often as much as 50%.

And it seems that they do have tickets to at least some of the big musicals. Usually those that have been running for quite a while....
May 5th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Neopolitan

While lastminute.com may be a way to get tickets before you go, there is rarely if anything there that is not also available at the TKTS booth in Leicester Square and at an equal or better price. What's more you don't see what tickets you're getting, and they may be terrible. At least at TKTS they will tell you before you buy what tickets are available and if not good you could choose another show that night.

May 6th, 2006, 01:09 AM

>>>>
What's more you don't see what tickets you're getting, and they may be terrible.
>>>>>

it's true that you don't see your ticket choice with lastminute, however, i have purchased tickets from LM.com many, many times (probably over 20 times over the years) and i have never had a second rate seat. i believe they occasionally offer second tier seats but this will be explicitly stated. the first couple times that i ordered tickets from LM.com i was felt i was taking a chance (will the tickets be there? how good would the seats be? etc.) but there has never been a disappointment.

the main advantage is that you can select the show in peace. with TKTS, you generally have little idea what is available until you reach the window and must make a quick decision from shows that are often not in the three or four that you prefer to see. if you have 3-4 shows that you prefer and they are not available. TKTS will tell you what is available and who is in them and just picking based on the stars of the show, etc is risky these days as their is so much rubbish in the west end (hollywood actors looking for some london theatre "cred" paired with theatre producers looking for a big name star usually ends in disaster).

anyway, the national theatre generally has much better theatre than what you will find offered at LM.com or TKTS and you can usually get a good price directly from the NT. the quality of west end shows has declined considerably and the consumer has to choose carefully. there are decent shows on the west end but they are few and far between these days.

...and BMG is not worth anywhere near £51. i would recommend this worn-out show only at around the £10 level and only if you have absolutely nothing else to do. after so many years, this company really needs to find a new idea.
May 6th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Neopolitan

"the main advantage is that you can select the show in peace. with TKTS, you generally have little idea what is available until you reach the window and must make a quick decision from shows that are often not in the three or four that you prefer to see."

Huh? Have you ever been there? The shows available that day are posted for all to see as you approach the building. If one sells out they remove it from the board. How can you NOT know what is available before you walk up to the window, and why wouldn't you already know which ones you want to see? Only once or twice have I turned down a show there because the seats weren't good. One great advantage is the honesty and helpfulness of the staff there. I may say, "how are these seats?" and they may reply "usually we have better ones" and then I can see another show. Or sometimes I mention two or three shows that show as available and all ones I want to see and ask which one has the best seats today so I go with that. What's more you can check on line (if that's convenient) before you even go to the booth and see a clear list of what shows are available that day.

I HATE TKTS in NYC where the clerk even lied to me once about the seats, and another time I got a rude "well, which one do you want?" when I asked about which of two shows had the better seats, but I LOVE TKTS in London.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO