Search

London Theatre

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 05:30 AM
Jim and Janice

London Theatre

Going to London on the 3rd of November for six days. What four plays do you recommend?

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 06:46 AM
lisa

If you do a search of this forum by typing in the words "London theatre" (or "theater") you will find lots of threads with peoples' recommendations. One that has been recommended by many is "Mamma Mia" and that's the one I'd try to see at the moment.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 07:41 AM
Lori

You may not be able to get tickets to Momma Mia on short notice it's a sold out smash hit. Try and see "Chicago", it's very good if youcan. You can alo probably get tickets with no trouble to shows that have been running forever, i.e. Les Mis, CATS for example tho. There was lots of advise on this subject a short time back, as Lisa said run a search for it and see what comes up.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 08:27 AM
Zoe

We managed to get tickets for Mamma Mia! the week before the performance - we had to pay extra for them, but it was WELL worth it. <BR> <BR>Also, Stephen Daldry's version of An Inspector Calls at the Garrick is quite excellent. <BR> <BR>Alternatively, O'Casey's Juno and the Paycock at the Donmar Warehouse and Art by Yasmina Reza (Wyndhams) have had excellent reviews. <BR> <BR>Two to avoid would be Nigel Hawthorne in King Lear at the Barbican, which has had terrible reviews as has Antigone at the Old Vic. <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 10:12 AM
fan

Aoe - what actors are in Inspector?

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 10:13 AM
fan

Sorry, that was meant to be "Zoe," not "Aoe."

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 08:59 PM
Tom

Hi, <BR> <BR>Don't know if you'll see this before you leave, but I recently returned from London. I saw Saturday Night Fever, Whistle Down The Wind, and Miss Saigon. <BR>Saturday Night Fever (SNF)was the best. I got half price tickets in Leicester Square for all the day of the show. Get there early in the day for best selections. (I already had ticket arrangements for SNF, but they had plenty available at half price). They also had availabilty half price for Mama Mia which I had seen in May over there. Mama Mia and SNF are definites not to be missed. If you can get tickets, Lion King is the hottest venue there right now. (Contrary to the name, it is not a kid's play) If you cannot get the half price tickets to your selected plays try the theatre one hour before the performance as tickets become available due to cancellations but usually at full price. I talked with some folks who got Lion King tickets this way. <BR> <BR>Have fun <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 11:43 AM
Jane

<BR>Tom, <BR> <BR>Just curious - did you enjoy Whistle Down the Wind, and would you recommend it? <BR> <BR>We tried to get last minute tickets to see it earlier this year, but finally gave up and went down the block and saw Buddy (again).

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 01:00 AM
T.J.

"Lion King" in London was phenomenal.

Old Nov 4th, 1999, 02:44 AM
donna

what about Beauty and the Beast? i saw it in Chicago a few years ago.

Old Nov 8th, 1999, 05:34 AM
Carl

Saw "Beauty and the Beast" in London last May and Loved it!! Got tickets at the 1/2 price ticket booth in Leicester Square that day, 16th row center aisle in the stalls, Fantastic!!

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 04:02 AM
jim

Mamma Mia at the prince edward theatre (they have a web site) was the absolute best musical i've ever seen! tix are hard to get this late, but i did see them at a small store advertising them that day! good luck.

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 12:01 PM
Thomas Nastos

Starlight Express is an absolute delight. It will seem incredible to see those skaters and hear the very humorous lyrics. We saw it 3 times and have tickets again for December 1999

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 08:10 PM
Bill

Just saw somewhere that Patricia Rutledge is appearing in a play in London. For all the uninitated she plays Hyacinth in "Keeping Up Appearances" a great British comedy and <BR>she is a very accomplished and versatile <BR>actress if you get a chance take in the <BR>play. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 06:05 PM
Amanda

Patricia Routledge has been playing Lady Bracknell in Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest" at the Haymarket, which is really one of the most beautiful theatres in London. I saw the play about three weeks ago, and it was great fun -- I would recommend it, but I'm not sure if it's still on. Check the booking dates.