London theater?

Oct 19th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Kim

London theater?

I am going to London next April and want to attend some plays. What ones were your favorites?

Where do you look on the web for tickets ahead of time?

What is the cheapest way to get tickets?

Thanks!

Oct 19th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Sandy

We saw Bombay Dreams in September and were very disappointed, as were everyone sitting around us. We were in the 4th row center, so it wasn't our seats that were the problem. Every song, every dance number was the same as the one prior to it.

Oct 19th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Leslie

Try these two sites:

www.ticketmaster.co.uk

www.whatsonstage.com

I've found Ticketmaster to be reasonably priced, as the service charge is only a couple of pounds. Also, you can select your seat and see diagrams of each of the theatres.

But, if you don't mind taking your chances, you can buy day of performance tickets at the 1/2 Price Ticket Booth in Leicester Square. There are enough options that you shouldn't be disappointed. However, if you want to secure tickets for shows that are sold out like "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "Mamma Mia" you're better off buying the tickets in advance.

Oct 19th, 2002, 06:45 PM
b

For a comedy, I would suggest "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)."

Oct 21st, 2002, 05:58 AM
Keith

Most of the shows in London tend to have fairly short runs. The ones that you may wish to see in April may not open until February or later.

In addition to the URLs already mentioned, I recomend http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/ for the scoop on shows.

Keith

Oct 21st, 2002, 07:38 AM
Lori

We go every April and always get tickets via TicketmasterUK (web site). I'd recommend Mamma Mia, My Fair Lady, Chicago, The Full Monty if you are into musicals. If you have not seen Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables they are good choices too. Go to the Ticketmaster website and look at what is being listed under musical, comedy or drama and make your choice. You can pick up the tickets before show time at the Will Call window, we always do and it works just fine. I do not feel theater prices through Ticketmaster are any higher then what we pay for shows in the US either.

Oct 21st, 2002, 08:50 AM
adams

One more good web site for London theatre:

www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/

Oct 21st, 2002, 09:18 AM
Meg

Go and see "The Woman in Black". It's been running for years, just a two-man (and THE WOMAN) play with very few props. I went alone and was hugging myself in terror - better to have someone to cling to. Brilliant acting, terrific plot.
You need a good cuppa (or something stronger!) when you come out, though.

Oct 21st, 2002, 12:45 PM
carolyn

I just saw The Woman in Black, and it was super. I also really liked Blood Brothers, another oldie.

We were not able to get tickets because it just began, but Judi Densch and Maggie Smith are starring in Breath of Life. I would have loved to see it.