Notices

London: Spitalfields Market

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London: Spitalfields Market

Any rants or raves about Spitalfields Market? Thought it might be a fun way to spend a sunday morning.

Am I correct in assuming it has crafts, collectibles, fashions, organic foods, flowers?

Are the Brick Lane and Petticoat Lane markets nearby and are they more for bric a brac, clothes and furniture?

Is it an all day market or just in the morning? 0900 a good time to arrive?

Is Liverpool Street the best tube stop?

Any recommendations on where to get something to eat or drink around there would be appreciated.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Maira

Just an interesting trivia fact: Spitafields Market makes the last stop of Jack The Ripper London Walk Tour. His/her last victim was found there as back then, the Spita Fields were the outskirts of town. The name Spita Fields comes from a medieval hospital for tuberculosis (spit-spita-hospital)that used to be located in the outskirts. It looked like an interesting place to visit, the tour guide explained that the place is a bustling market with food, vegetables, flowers, etc.

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

maira, thanks - I love trivia like that since it adds color and spice to the places you visit. Your TTT of the other post has got me thinking of Camden as well.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:12 AM

hansikday - I went to Spitalfields when I was in London three weeks ago. It has the types of items you mentioned. I bought a scarf and a few crafty souvenirs. I also went to the other two markets which were extremely crowded and are as you described. But they were a definite London experience. I did not eat there. I would say I was in that area between 10 and noon. I think it is an excellent way to spend your Sunday morning! Enjoy!
Mara
PS I went by bus but I got off at Liverpool St.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:46 AM

I've posted about Spitalfields before. I think it's a great way to spend a Sunday morning. Depending on your stamina there are four east end markets going on, in order from earliest to latest opening:

Brick Lane - You'll find just about anything here...furniture, clothes, small appliances, toys. Starts early (6 or 7 am) and wraps up around 1. There's a London institution here at 159 Brick Lane. The Beigel Bake has the most wonderful bagels, open 24/7. The lines are long on Sun morning but worth the wait. There are lots of good curry restaurants on Brick Lane as well. Closest tubes are Shoredich, Aldgate East or Liverpool St.

Columbia Road Flower Market (8 am to 2 pm) All sorts of cut flowers, bouquets, bulbs, garden tools and decorative items. The last time I was there I scooped up a half dozen or so small handcrafted trugs (maybe 7 or 8 GBP each) as gifts for my gardening friends. Closest tube is Shoreditch or Old Street.

Petticoat Lane (9 am to 2 pm) - Primarily clothes (new and used) but also household goods and bric a brac. There is no actual Petticoat Lane. This market is held between Middlesex and Wentworth Streets. The stuff sold here is not really interesting to me but the people watching is fun, especially the vendors who can be quite competitive in hawking their wares. Closest tubes are Liverpool St. and Aldgate East.

Spitalfields - The market is as you've described in your original post (rafts, collectibles, fashions, organic foods, flowers). Doesn't get going until 10 am and goes until late afternoon. This one is my favorite of the four. Liverpool St. and Shoreditch are the closest tube stations.

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:57 AM

HI
Have you seen this web info?
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/our_s...italfields.htm

also, tripadvisor.com has reviews of the markets, from travelers
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:58 AM

There is a great restaurant in the Spitalfields Market called The Spitz. Don't know if it opens on Sun but we had a very good lunch there on a weekday.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 06:13 AM

I'm also planning a Sunday morning in the Spitalfields area when I'm in London between Christmas and New Years. Since you like trivia, hansikday, you might enjoy this tongue-in-cheek walking tour which I stumbled across on the web Unfortundately, it's not going to be offered while I'm there, but I'm planning to bring the printout along with me and do it on my own.
http://www.backpassageswalks.co.uk/
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info and ideas. Good to hear from folks who have been before.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 02:27 PM

I posted some info on Camden market for another poster on this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34447317

This was on the back of another thread in which a number of posters discussed whether Camden Market is "worth" visiting, a question that is, at the end of the day, difficult to answer for other people, since what's worthwhile to one is not to another.

Anyway, thought it might be useful, the links of the history of the market and also the maps, are helpful.