Search

London sights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London sights

In July, 3 of us should spend a week in a lovely home in the country outside of Manchester - via a home exchange on Homelink.org

Then we shall spend 4 days in London before heading home. I have been there many times, and as one of us has never been there, I am making a list of what first-timers should see - as my first time was 40 years ago and I have been many times since! She, the first-timer is so excited and will love everything just because London is such a wonderful town and she has just discovered travelling.

I am also looking for a place to stay in London - looking at flats, airbnb, etc. A woman who rents out rooms in her home on the Embankment has been recommended - 1/room = 55GBP and 2/room is 85 GPP - including a wonderful breakfast! I am pretty spoiled now and am not sure I want to share a bathroom, but the location is pretty wonderful and maybe I will just bite the bullet and pretend I am 21 again when sharing a bathroom was not so bad!

So, my questions: what is on your list for London musts?
Any thoughts about a place you have stayed recently and liked?
Shall I buy heater tickets before we leave home or wait until Leicester Square?

Thanks so much - I love these Forums!

Sophia
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 06:56 AM

<i>Shall I buy heater tickets before we leave home or wait until Leicester Square?</i>

Theater tickets, right?

Thinking wait until Leicester Square.

<i>what is on your list for London musts?</i>

What's on your friend's? And what does she like? That's the best way to winnow it down.

Go to daysoutguide.co.uk and print vouchers so you can save on some of the big ticket items like the Tower, Hampton Court, and more. You'll need a paper travelcard from a national rail station (Victoria, Waterloo, etc) to use the vouchers but the savings is huge.

That said, the list of no-ticket items would pack your days (National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, the Tates, V&A, more; combined admission fee $0).
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 07:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me know if you need any help/suggestions in the Manchester area.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 07:57 AM

I traveled solo to London in Sept 2012 for my first visit to the city in over thirty years. I loved the Victoria and Albert Museum of decorative arts. Stunning building purpose built to house decorative arts filled with beautiful things including jewelry, incredible clothing, elaborate snuff boxes, fine china and silver and furniture from many eras. The museum cafe and the gift shop are both well worth a visit too. The courtyard is wonderful for people watching. Nearby, walk through the gardens at Kensington Palace and visit the food halls at Harrods for great photo ops. I absolutely loved going up in the Eye on my first day in the city. If I remember correctly, you can purchase tickets online.
Ann Marie
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions so far - thanks on tip on printing vouchers, but there are a lot of freebies in London are there not?

Yes, Kensington Gardens and Harrods - I know she will love both after Speakers' Corner!

Yes,, I would like suggestions on Manchester area also - so far, am thinking a day trip to York. Do you have suggestions on Manchester itself??

Thanks to you all!
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 01:06 PM

<i> there are a lot of freebies in London are there not?</i>

Yeah, but the sites that cost, cost a lot.

The Tower = save $30+, Kens Palace = save $24 or so. It adds up.
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 01:21 PM

I would ask your friend what she wants to do, make those things a priority, and then fill in with other activities.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Sophia12, so many options and I am sure that Fodorites will provide many suggestions.

For a engaging smaller museum with a great collection, lovely restaurant, and great gift shop I would recommend the WALLACE COLLECTION off Oxford Street, not far from Marble Arch.

It's free too...
Old Jan 28th, 2014, 08:53 PM

The Geffrye Museum is a small but charming place. I'd recommend a sunny day to visit it, because of its garden displays. Has a nice little tea shop too.
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 12:17 AM

Hi sophia12, re Manchester. What do you need? Hotels, restaurants, what to see? If hotels, please indicate a budget.

Which area are you staying in?
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 12:19 AM

Hi sophia12, re Manchester. What do you need? Hotels, restaurants, what to see? If hotels, please indicate a budget.

Which area are you staying in?
Old Jan 29th, 2014, 06:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Two fine art galleries in Manchester, one next to China town and one to the South near the University . Each deserves half a day. A tatty museum of the city is interesting.