Reload this Page >

London-Senior Citz. Age?

Search

London-Senior Citz. Age?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 12:47 PM
Mary Bohn

London-Senior Citz. Age?

Help - is there is set age for discounts (museums, mostly) for senior citizens? I have a Brit. Tourist package which states many places of interest have greatly discounted or even admit "free" to seniors - BUT "the senior age varies." Is this Brit humor or is there a guideline? If you can help, thank you.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:10 PM
Mary

I believe it is 65 - at least that is what we were told (and my husband got a discount). In the UK they call seniors "pensioners" so if you are not sure ask about that. Ben Haines, a regular on this Forum, can give you all the scoop on this subject, I think he has already to some people.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:15 PM
Ruth

For some purposes, senior citizen is over 60 years (on buses, I believe, and some theatres) and for others it is 65. I think 60 is more usual now. <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:29 PM
JOdy

On our last trip, most places were 60 and over for OAP!!!Also several places were totally free, The V and A for example. <BR> <BR>The term I think they use for special prices is "concessions" <BR> <BR>BEN , correct me if I am wrong, please

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 01:56 PM
Ann

Ofiicial retirement age (though due to change) is 60 for women and 65 for men. It will be changing to 65 for both, starting to be phased in during 2010 I believe.

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 12:14 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors <BR> <BR>Dear Ms Bohn, <BR> <BR>Ruth and Jody are right. For the senior citizen card for a year's cheap travel on above-ground trains, for cheap or free entry to nearly all museums and galleries, and for cheap entry to many theatres, the magic age is 60. For busses it's 65. In each case they may simply believe you (if like me you look decrepit enough), or you may need to show proof of age, such as a photocopy of the two key pages of your passport. <BR> <BR>This is simple: I wonder what Brit Tourist meant. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to london <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 04:11 PM
BoomerBabe

<BR>Mr. Haines, <BR> <BR>RE: "I wonder what Brit Tourist meant". <BR> <BR>I believe the poster was referring to the BTA, British Tourist Authority. In the USA we can call the BTA in New York at 1-800-GoToBritain. We tell them the dates of an upcoming trip to Great Britain, exactly where we plan to go, etc., and they send us a wonderful package full of information to aid in planning. <BR> <BR>My favorite element of the package is a booklet listing most (if not all) of the tourist attractions in London, including opening and closing times, admission prices, tube stations and phone numbers. <BR> <BR>As I'm sure you know, but some other readers may not, the BTA office on Regent Street is a fantastic resource for visitors to your city. <BR> <BR>Mr. Haines, I truly appreciate your constant willingness to share your abundant knowledge with the rest of us. I, for one, have reaped a great deal of good advice from your posts. <BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 05:58 PM
JOdy

I never bother calling BTA they hav a really good website , easy to navigate , and you can order as much or a little as you like.also sometimes have great deals on hotels, planes, attractions <BR> <BR>http://www.visitbritain.com/

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 06:11 PM
BoomerBabe

Thanks, JOdy. <BR>I've seen that web address advertised, but never realized you could order info from there. <BR>In my short time since I found this forum, you're another one I've noticed as being very knowledgeable and generous with great info. <BR>Appreciate it....

Old Aug 26th, 2001, 06:17 PM
JOdy

Hi Boomer, <BR>i have a whole folder on great Uk websites , if you want it just email me. My address is real!