London self-catering: When to book?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London self-catering: When to book?

Hello everyone!

Here goes my very first post:

My husband and I travel to London every year in February, and we always stay at the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire hotel located in Leicester Square (we love the non-stop action). Our next trip in 2008 will include the addition of our 13 year old niece. Since there will be 3 people, the Hampshire will not be an option as lodging unless I get 2 rooms, and that would be insane as the cost would be outrageous.

So with the help of this board I have come to the conclusion to rent a self-catering apartment in the Covent Garden area (got to be close to the action!). Since the self-catering apartment arena is a new thing for me, I need advice from folks who are seasoned in the self-catering apartment realm.

Specifically, how far in advance should I submit my apartment request? Even though I'm going in February 2008, I would like to be able to get my first choice in an apartment.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance...
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I book London flats as soon as my dates are firm. No reason to delay - espeially if you want a specific flat. There is no benefit gained by waiting. And few have a penalty if you do have to cancel more than a month or so out - and some not even then.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:20 PM

angelica, Covent Garden flats are pretty hard to come by. Here's a thought. We've rented this same flat about 10 times now. While it is a one bedroom, there is a special oversized sofa in the living room (not a sleeper sofa) that is enormous and comes with bed linens. There is also a separate bathroom with walkin shower off the living room plus the big bath off the master. This is a second floor walk up, but it a great location -- half way between Leicester Square and Covent Garden Opera House on a quiet cobblestoned street. Let me know if you would like any more information -- I think of this as "my" flat I've been there so much -- next for another 10 days this June.

www.farnum-christ.com

Look at one bedroom flats, look for Floral Street and click.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM

How much did you want to spend?
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies!

janisj:
I will take your advice and firm my dates and request the apartment I want ASAP!

NeoPatrick:
I have read many of your reviews of the Floral Street flat you use, and I'm impressed as it is very nice! Unfortunately, we need 2 bedrooms this trip, as my husband tends to do work while on holiday, and it's usually in the middle of the night! So he would use the reception area to work so myself and our niece can sleep un-interrupted. Although the property would be great if it were just the two of us... Which I will keep in mind for a later trip!

Carrybean:
We plan on spending no more than $3000 (US) for a 7 days rental. Seeing as our last stay at the Hampshire was approximately $2748 (US) for 6 nights for 2...

Thank you all again!
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Ah, in that case you might check this one out -- a new listing with Farnum and Christ that I believe someone here recently stayed in. It is right next to the Duke's Hotel if you know where that is. Not quite Covent Garden, but still a great location for theatres, etc.

www.farnum-christ.com/StJamesPlace.htm
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 03:23 AM

Also, check out these three property numbers at the site below. 1302, 1806 & 1552. All are 2 bedroom, 2 bath. They're in the Covent Garden area.

www.londonguestsuites.com
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to let everyone know I booked an apartment from London Connections. I rented the property listed as: 2-1 St. Martin's Lane. London Guest Suites also list's this property as #1552, but it's $18 more per night. So I saved $127 by booking through London Connections!

I really want to thank all of you who replied to my inquiry: janisj, NeoPatrick & Carrybean. Because of all of your great advice I was able to book my first choice of available apartments!

I have to admit thought it was strange to book lodging 10 months ahead, my thoughts changed when I checked the availability the day after I booked, and where there was once 4 choices , there only remained 1, and it was a one bedroom apartment!

I will definitely post a trip report and a review of the rental property after my trip in 2/08...

Thanks again!
Angelica
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Glad it worked out so well. That is a terrific location.
Old May 1st, 2007, 01:53 AM

Congratulations on getting a good deal! The flat looks very comfortable.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:04 AM

Angelica - would you be able to give us the web address of London Connections? I googled and couldn't find anything.
thanks
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 09:00 AM

http://www.londonconnection.com/main_menu.asp

(I googled "london connection flat" and it was the first link displayed)
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 08:46 PM

aha! googling london connections, on the other hand, gives you a long list of train connections - "s" was the culprit. Thanks janisj
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi All!

Just wanted to let everyone know the flat I rented for 2/08, was superb! the location could not be beat (for us at least)! Our flat was located on the 2nd floor and located directly across the street are of the following: Noel Coward Theatre, Brown's restaurant, Pizza Express & Prêt A Manger! Next door there is a Spanish Tapas, and Mc Donald's. There is a Tesco Metro, not more than a block away on New Row & Bedfordbury. There is also a M & S a little further away up Long Acre.

The flat was very spacious with 2 bedroom & 2 baths, large lounge/dining area and Kitchen. The kitchen contains a Washer/Dryer combo, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, electric kettle, all glasses/dishes and cutlery. Also in the cupboards were some spices and other items left by the previous renters. The flat was quite large - and we loved it!

There were 2 hairdryers, and there were even the correct travel adaptors supplied for our use! We had high-speed internet, and contact numbers for any IT help that may be needed. There were fresh towels and linens. The master bedroom contained a double bed, 1 dresser with mirror on it, 2 night tables w/storage and a large closet. The mattress could have been better, we thought is was a bit bumpy and not too comfortable. We are used to sleeping on a Tempur-pedic mattress so sleeping on a conventional mattress is a little rough sometimes. However with that said, all of the beds we've had at the Hampshire Hotel have all been very comfy... The master also has an en suite - basin, toilet, towel warmer & shower.

The smaller room had 2 twin beds with 1 nightstand between them, 1 dresser and another nightstand near the door with a mirror, and a large closet. The mattress on the twins was more comfy than the double... nice sized room. Our niece enjoyed her own room. There is a second full bathroom located in the hall - has tub/shower, basin, toilet & towel warmer. Having 2 bathrooms made getting ready very easy!

We rented the flat through London Connections, and I am glad to say I had no problems whatsoever. When I went over the flat with the let in lady I had her make notes of items I saw that were questionable, like the dishwasher door not opening properly - she was more than happy to write it down. I would use London Connections again!

Thank you all for the help!
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 04:10 PM

angelica00--Please report how much you paid for your flat, so we can use it as a comparison with other flats.
Glad the stay worked out--have you posted a trip report?
Barb
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Barb_in_GA:

The cost of the flat for 7 full days was $2548. Hope this helps!