Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Apartments - Mayfair/Covent Garden

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be visiting London this September. Previously, we have stayed at hotels in Knightsbridge but want to rent a flat this year. Our question is which do you think is the better location Mayfair or Covent Garden? We love the Covent Garden area and want to be close to the theatres/restaurants but the concern is will the St Martins Lane/Covent Garden area be so much of a mob scene that the apartment would be extremely noisy. Thanks for all your help!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 10:28 AM
Neopolitan

Depends on where you are, of course. Busy street or above a busy restaurant -- noisy. I love Covent Garden, but don't confuse the whole area with the touristy chaos that is Covent Garden Market (and I don't mean that as a putdown either).

Here's the flat we've rented in Covent Garden about 9 or 10 times now. We love it because it's spacious, lovely, and we can pop back between two shows in the same day (which is what we're usually doing). Main "drawbacks"? Second floor walkup without a lift, no air conditioning (probably not a problem in September), and a double not a queen or king bed. Best features in addition to the flat itself? It is on the little cobblestoned Floral Street -- mostly high end designer shops, no bars or restaurants and no traffic except for a rare taxi bringing someone to their home.

Ask if you have any questions.

http://tinyurl.com/hcut4

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

The Floral St (Farnum and Christ)property was actually one we liked. Not too concerned about the walk-up or bed size. Is it a portered building or do you let yourself into the apartment entrance area and walk up? How are the bathrooms/showers...fairly updated (not looking for Claridges type bathrooms but updated and clean)?

The other Covent Garden property is on St. Martins Lane (3rd floor US w/ elevator)thru London Connections. When I googled the address (63 St Martins Lane)...it seems there is a restaurant on the ground floor (Henry's). The apartment does have double glazed windows though. Your thoughts???
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Neopolitan

There are two bathrooms in the Covent Garden flat. The one off the master bedroom is enormous by any standards, particularly British ones. There is a toilet and a bidet, well spaced. There is a very large bathtub with a hand held shower, and there are two sinks which are mounted to the tile with recessed ledges behind them and a full mirrored wall above them with push in, flip out medicine cabinets built in (I don't think we knew those were there the whole first time we stayed). The other bath is like a tiny powder room with toilet and sink and if off the entry way. It has a step in, step up shower which is tiled and has a tiled seat in it. This is what we both use, rather than the bathtub in the fully carpeted bathroom.

This building was turned into three flats (one per floor) something like 15 years ago and it was done by a good designer then. It is sort of like a loft conversion. The living space is very large as you can tell from the pictures. The bedroom is pretty small, but ample. We're working on the owner to replace the bed with a queen bed, but most Brits seem not to understand that idea. There are lots of big windows and plenty of light as you can tell from looking at the pictures of the outside as well as the inside, since the flat incorporates the entire floor. There is no doorman. You let yourself into it through the red door you see in the pictures. There is a maintenance man two doors down in the event of an "emergency" or you can call the owners at their home in Somerset who couldn't be nicer.

It has been well maintained. Last year the shower mechanism in the walk-in was replaced and we had a couple problems with it over Christmas, but we understand it has now been fixed. The washer/dryer which is in the kitchen was also replaced last year. It actually dries clothes unlike the old one!

St. Martin's lane is very busy. I can't picture Henry's, though.

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:41 PM

>>>>>
rather than the bathtub in the fully carpeted bathroom.
it was done by a good designer
<<<<<

2 incongruous statements
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Neopolitan

I'll half way agree with that statement. I didn't say the carpet was put in 15 years ago by the designer who did it (clearly it wasn't), so one thing really has nothing to do with the other.

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 05:01 PM

A carpeted bathroom sounds ...dirty to me
You know, I live in the land of tiles...
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Neopolitan

Why do you think I brought the matter up to begin with? I'm not crazy about the idea either. But unless someone pees on the floor, I'm not sure why it's any different than a carpeted bedroom. Most of us walk barefoot in either place.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:16 AM

The difference between a carpeted bathroom and a carpeted bedroom is water, and therefore mould. Plus, not every gentleman is, shall we say, a perfect gentleman.

I grew up before fitted carpets and I never understood the craze for putting them in bathrooms. I always assumed it was partly an over-reaction against freaezing old-fashioned bathrooms and partly opportunism on the part of suppliers and fitters ("Got a bit left over, love, shall I do the bathroom as well?")
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:22 AM

A carpeted bathroom in a "public" place, how vile!

But, back to the question...Mayfair is far more central to the best shopping (Bond St. & environs & Sloane St.) than Covent Garden. The latter does have some restaurants/bars/nightclubs you may wish to visit, but they're certainly not the best ones, and all a bit touristy or cheap really.

Seeing as you have stayed in Knightsbridge previously, I would suggest that Mayfair will be more suitable for you for that reason alone. I live in Mayfair, and rarely go to Covent Garden (perhaps when I go to a theatre nearby) as there is little there to amuse me. In parts it is quiet, in others it is noisy, touristy, and not at all appealing.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the observations/suggestions...much appreciated. We have done additional research on both areas and are now leaning towards the Mayfair flat as an optimal choice.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Neopolitan

It is interesting that someone would consider a private apartment designed and used by a wealthy and successful couple living in Somerset as their London town home, but occassionally rented out to discerning people as a "public" place. But whatever.

". . .Covent Garden. The latter does have some restaurants/bars/nightclubs you may wish to visit, but they're certainly not the best ones, and ALL a bit touristy or cheap really."

This kind of 'one upmanship' is so silly, now isn't it?

Rules
The Ivy
Axis
Asia de Cuba
J. Sheekey
Christophers
Neal Street Restaurant
Indigo

Just to name just a handful would all be surprised to hear they are being labeled as "cheap and touristy". I think it would surprise those who go there also.

Mayfair is lovely. Covent Garden is more "lively". Both are nice areas to stay. Trying to put either down by throwing around totally false statements is just so silly.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:21 AM

"It is interesting that someone would consider a private apartment designed and used by a wealthy and successful couple living in Somerset as their London town home, but occassionally rented out to discerning people as a "public" place. But whatever."

My point was that the carpeted bathroom is not used solely by the owners, but my numerous other people...too subtle for you perhaps.

Also, Indigo in One Aldwych is absolutely dire, terribly overpriced, and below mediocre at best. You're much better off at The Savoy across the road. Or better than all of this, you stay in Mayfair and have far more choice available night and day.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Neopolitan

I guess it was also too subtle for you to notice that I already mentioned I didn't particularly like it. But then I don't own the apartment. I doubt the owners would consider their bathroom in their apartment a "public" place. But as I already said, "whatever". I doubt you will stay there since it is in that "horrible" Covent Garden which is so much beneath you anyway, so why is this of such great concern that you've needed to comment twice about it?