London, Rome, Venice, Paris hotel help

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 07:38 PM
kal

London, Rome, Venice, Paris hotel help

Hello, I'm trying to shortcut a lengthy
"search" mode on this board so, I was wondering if you kind European Fodorites could offer me some quick recs on hotels in these cities?

Our first trip over...A Belated 20th anniversary present.

We're going in September and would be willing to pay from $150 to $200(US) per night. Too much...Not enough?

Thanks for any help,
Kal

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 08:40 PM
chrissy

Raphael hotel in Rome Was grat, friendly service, great location

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 03:23 AM
elaine

kal,
the price you want to pay is more than reasonable, it's the availability for September that will likely be a problem.
This is unfortunately kind of late to be booking, at least for the most popular\
moderately-priced hotels in those much-visited cities, and Sept. is still a very busy season.
For Venice, here are some hotel websites
www.ve.flashnet.it
www.hotelguide.ch/
www.venicehotel.com/
www.italyhotel.com/venezia
www.venere.it
www.italyguide.com/
www.hotelguide.ch/
www.travelweb.com
http://hotelsvenice.com
www.italiantourism.com/ I
www.traveleurope.it/
www.itwg.com
Try looking for the following Venice hotels/pensiones which have all been recommended on this forum: Canada, Flora, Bisanzio, Galleria, Academia,
La Calcina,Riva, Do Pozzi, Pensione Seguso, Bel Sito, Caneva, Ateneo, and Minerva & Nettuno. If you find availability at some, you can ask further here for some details if you need them.
For Paris hotels, the first two websites have comments from past hotel guests:
www.paris.org
www.hotelboulevard.com
also:
www.123france.com/
www.adx.fr/hotels/anglais.htm
www.bparis.com/
www.discoverfrance.com
www.france.com:80/travel/hotels/phg.html
www.france-hotel-guide.com
www.frenchexperience.com/
www.globe-market.com
www.paris-hotel.com
www.paris-touristoffice.com
For convenience,try to book a hotel that is in one of the single-digit (1-9) arrondissements, especially in the 1st,4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th.
Try looking for availability in the following recommended hotels:
Muguet
Grandes Ecoles
Danube
Lenox St. Germain
Familia
Champs-de-Mars
Verneuil
Regent
Derby-Eiffel
Caron de Beaumarchais
Jardin des Luxembourg
and of course there are many others, particularly in the upper end of your price range.
London is much bigger, and more expensive on average, be sure to locate hotels on a map so you know where they are
http://london.hotelguide.net/
www.demon.co.uk/hotel-net/
http://uk.multimap.com/all-hotels/
places.cgi?db=london
www.dogpile.com Search hotels
www.travelinn.co.uk see one of these hotels below
www.aboutbritain.com
www.hotels-london.co.uk
These are only a very few recommended London hotels:
Euro
Knightsbridge
Royal Garden
Wilbraham
Morgan
Travel Inn, Belvedere Road

good luck

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 07:36 AM
kal

Whoa! Thanks for the suggestions and websites, elaine and chrissy!

I'll get on it right away.

Anymore from anybody also appreciated!
Kal

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 08:33 AM
s.fowler

In London I would recommend the Colonnade Town House Hotel near the Warwick Ave. tube stop. Webpage: http://www.etontownhouse.com/colonnade/colonnad.htm You will need to saty in their cheapest rooms to make your price, but all the rooms are fabulous and Mouse, the house cat, is a love. [especially if you had tidbits!]

In Paris at your level I would recommend Hotel Verneuil on Rue Verneuil very near St. Germain shopping district and the museums. Webpage: http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007verneuil2.htm I haven't stayed there, but between the writeup in T&L and a quick visit to the lobby last trip where the desk was very nice as I picked up a brochure it looks and feels very chic and nice for the $$$.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 09:56 AM
Curt

In Rome, we really like the Hotel Rex. Good location and extremely plush rooms and nice breakfast. See them at:
Hotel Rex
Via Torino 149, 00184, Roma - Rome
Tel: 06-4823947 Fax: 06-4882743
Single room: 220000 - 285000 ; Double room: 320000 - 370000
http://italmarket.org/hotels/columbus/index.html

In Venice we love the Locanda Sturion on the Grand Canal right at the Rialto Bridge. Only draw back is long flight of stairs but worth the climb. Very nice hotel. See them at:
http://www.sayville.com/sturionfr.html

In London we never stay anywhere but the Morgan at 24 Bloomsbury Street. Family run, small, very nice hotel with great breakfast (full English cooked to order). I don't think they have web page yet. I also understand that they will take come credit cards now with a 3% surcharge (used to be cash only). Try it you will like it.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 02:50 PM
kal

Man! It is friendlier than the US Mssg. Board.
Thanks...typing my fingers to the bone as we speak.
Kal

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 03:08 PM
Thyra

Kal, no doubt your only problem will be too many choices but I would be remiss if I didn't put in for my all time favorite Parisian hotel. Hotel Des Grand Balcons right next to the Odeon and the Luxembourg Gardens (centrally located), slightly below your price range , with lovely French-sized rooms (slightly smaller then what most US clients are used to) an art deco lobby and breakfast room, friendly staff and the biggest/best breakfast I've had in Paris, included baked brie! I found this hotel in Fodors Hotels of Character and Charm in Paris book and have sent many people to it, all of whom have returned with glowing reviews. Also it is mentioned quite a few times on this forum. Bon Voyage and be sure to tell us all about it when you return...

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 12:11 PM
kal

Merci, grazi and cheerio to all.
Kal

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 11:29 AM
Joann Tyson

Can you let me know which hotel you end up staying in when in Rome? We are going in November and currently have reservations at the Hotel Luxor but I can change them if someone tells me of a better place for the money (about $95 per night).

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 11:55 AM
Kalkahuna

Joanne, No problem.
Still narrowing it all down. About the only one we have nailed is The Hotel Universal in Lucca as it was recommended by our Luccan relatives.
Kal

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 04:16 PM
eye

kal, i hear the napoleone in lucca is nice and also di elisa. try some of those websites mentioned above.
ciao!

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 07:28 PM
Caitlin

We really enjoyed the Hotel des Jardin du Luxembourg in Paris, about two blocks from the garens. Small but nicely appointed rooms, big bathrooms with nice mosaic tiling, good fixtures, quite charming, helpful English-speaking staff, on a quiet side street with no noise at night. About $120. Also quite small, just 27 rooms. Photos on pariserve.com and hotelsinparis.com are entirely accurate.