Southern Italy Itinerary...HELP

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 09:32 AM
Mary Kate Libonate

Southern Italy Itinerary...HELP

I am planning a 10 day trip to Southern Italy this October and I am very overwhelmed with all the possibilities. (We're flying into Rome)Could you recommend a good home base with access to Capri/Pompeii/other points on the Amalfi coast? And towns that I should not miss? Advice on hotels and restaurants would also be very welcome. Thank You so much,
Mary Kate

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 10:25 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Mary Kate, Why not go to a trip
report I did recently based on my trip
this spring. You can find it published
at www.initaly.com --go to TRAVELLING TO
ITALY---click on " TOURS" and find my ad. There is a link to the story. I hope
that helps. If you need more help let
me know.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 05:30 PM
tgh

Many people on this board seem to like Amalfi and Ravello. I guess it depends on what you want to see. We recently visited the hill area in Campania. No tourists, and found some interesting sites.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 05:33 PM
Deborah

Our favorite on the Amalfi Coast was Positano. It has beautiful views and great restaurants. I stayed in Amalfi at the Santa Caterina which is a beautiful hotel but not inexpensive.

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 07:44 PM
Joanna

If you're not hiring a car, Sorrento is the ideal base. It's the hub for ferries to the islands, the Circumvesuviana railway can take you right to the entrance to Pompeii and there are buses available (or limos with drivers to hire) for the Amalfi coast. Plus, Sorrento has a great range of hotels in all price ranges. IMO you can't go past Sorrento!