london quiz nights

Old Dec 7th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
london quiz nights

We've had fabulous times at quiz nights in UK towns, but I'm having a hard time finding them in London. Does anyone know which pubs offer weekly quizzes? We'll be in Bloomsbury (in January), but are willing to venture out of the Tourist Zone. Thanks!
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 03:51 PM

hey crazycraft,

just check all your locals once you hit the ground - one of the nearby 'gaffs' will certainly have a quiz night happenin' i'm sure.

good luck hunting for one, sorry not to be of more help . . .
x
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 08:25 AM
EmilyV

There's a wonderful pub website, www.fancyapint.com, where you can search for pubs by location and criteria. Just type in "quiz nights" and take your pick.

Old Nov 7th, 2004, 12:03 AM

what's a quiz night?
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 01:02 AM

The web link given might answer that better than I can, but what happens in my pub is:

(a) answer papers are given out for £1 a head, and people get together in teams

(b) there are several sections of questions to add a bit of variation, and cover all sorts of 'general knowledge', some of which everyone knows, some of which no-one knows, leading to much badinage, argument within and between teams, fake or real 'cheating', and so on

(c) one section is always a picture round, with many complaints about the poor quality of photocopying (we haven't forgiven the landlord for including two pictures of John Travolta - both barely recognizable - in the same quiz) and people pretending not to recognise the identikit topless models

(d) the last round is always 'guess that tune', which mysteriously tends to favour people who remember the 1980s, but the landlord has taken to playing everything twice and practically all the way through

(e) eventually each team passes its paper to another team for the marking, there are many exclamations of surprise, triumph/despair at the answers ('I TOLD you but you wouldn't LISTEN'), and the winning team ends up scooping the pool and buying drinks for everyone else.
Old Nov 8th, 2004, 08:11 AM
EmilyV

Just adding a note to Patrick's description -- if you enjoy games like Trivial Pursuit and if you're a tourist with a hankering to feel a part of the pub atmosphere (and if you're a good loser), Quiz Nights are great. Most regulars are very kind about helping newcomers (blatant cheating is often overlooked). Chances are you will come in dead last, but it's a lot more fun than just sipping your pints in a back corner and watching the locals!

Old Nov 8th, 2004, 12:46 PM

Sounds like a lot of fun!

We watched "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" when we were in the UK and we rarely got past the $1000 question because they tended to be about common things Brits would know. We actually did better on the more difficult questions, but missed nearly all the "easy" ones. I suspect quiz night would be similar.