London - Questions on Restaurant Logistics

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We'll be going to London. It's been enough years that my internal knowledge of "how things work" is a bit rusty. I do remember that Chinese restaurants charge extra for rice, but other details and curiosities have faded.
What are the usual restaurant dinner times? I think they start earlier and end earlier than I am used to (typical evening meal arrival 8:30 or so). It looks like a nice post theatre (see, I can spell British!) meal might not be as easy as in some other cities. Is that so? I don't like being in a place where the workers clearly want to go home as soon as I can be induced to pay the check. And are checks given by the American system (it comes with the coffee) or the French system (ask for it or no one will bing it).
How askanse will I be looked at if all I want is one course pre-theatre? What if it's just an ap and a dessert?
I do see that tipping has been replaced with a service charge, so I won't need my mental calculator.
And do places with cuisines I know and love for intense spiciness (various Indian, Thai, Szechuan) mild down their food? If so, are there any magic words to avoid unwanted mildness?
Anything else I should know?
All useful info and advice will be appreciated.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indian and Thai restaurants tend to use chilli symbols to denote how hot a dish is. No, they are not necessarily dumbed down (unless you order a classically mild dish like a Korma or Passanda), as the British are used to spicy food.

I'm not sure where you get the idea food is served early - I think people tend to eat later in the UK then the US, though not as late as Spain. You might be thinking of the specific pre-theatre menus which are usually quick 2 course options that are served earlier in the evenings.

Many places will indeed include a service charge now - especially for large groups- but it's by no means universal. You don't have to pay this if you don't feel service was great - you can ask to have it removed, and pay a lesser amount (or nothing if service was truly dire).
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 04:11 PM

And yes, you have to ask for the bill. Btw, small cafes in France bring it with coffee or update it 'live' at the table - restaurants there would wait for you to ask.

I genuinely don't think you would feel rushed in most places. Some very popular restaurants - like Hakkasan - have a 2hr turnaround at certain times and/or for set menus, but this is usually made very clear at the time of booking.

Last edited by RM67; Aug 7th, 2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 04:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>t looks like a nice post theatre (see, I can spell British!) meal might not be as easy as in some other cities. Is that so? <<

Many MANY restaurants offer pre and post theatre menus. Pre theatre menus tend to be more limited than regular dinner offerings. Pre-theatre sittings are generally around 5:30 or 6PM, post-theatre 10:30PM to 11PM-ish seatings, sometimes later.

>>How askanse will I be looked at if all I want is one course pre-theatre? What if it's just an ap and a dessert?<<

If a place offers pre- theatre it is often a set menu where you get the choice of 2 courses or 3 courses -- which courses are up to you.

>>I do see that tipping has been replaced with a service charge, so I won't need my mental calculator.<<

Many places add a service charge, but a lot don't. If there is a service charge I typically round up the bill meaning a tiny extra tip. If there is no service charge I usually tip 10%.

You definitely have to ask for the bill
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 10:41 PM

I find that the majority of restaurants now add a service charge of 12% or so. You don't need to tip in addition to that; some restaurants will ask to add a tip when you pay with a card. It's really not necessary to do that. Or maybe just round up as Janisj says.

You can have dinner from about 17:30 onwards - though there are plenty of place offering all-day dining.

Many restaurants will charge extra for side dishes. You can order whatever you like. If you only want a main course, that's fine.

Use opentable.com to book restaurants in advance. We mostly book in advance; if you know where you want to go, it makes sense to do that. Popular place fill up.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 11:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Also remember that in other than the US, an “ Entree “
is the course that precedes the main meal.

Your US “ Appetiser” is about the size of an Entree in most places. An “Appetiser” in the UK will be a few little offerings - something along the lines of an amuse bouche.

Hope you have a great time!
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 03:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some London restaurants now only let you book for a fixed start and finish time, so they can table turn, in places like this the bill will come early. I boycott them as a matter of course, but you may find that is your situation. It is worth checking the contract/menu as to service charge as sometimes it can be voided if service has been bad etc. Rice extra or not depends on the restaurant, I still tend to ask the waiter if he thinks I've ordered enough. An amuse bouche is just that. The term check will confuse, partially because they will think of either Czech or cheque neither of which is the "bill" which is what you want.

Mildness, I just say I come from Bradford (home of some of the best curries in the country) and they spice it up.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bokhara2
Also remember that in other than the US, an “ Entree “
is the course that precedes the main meal.

Your US “ Appetiser” is about the size of an Entree in most places. An “Appetiser” in the UK will be a few little offerings - something along the lines of an amuse bouche.

Hope you have a great time!
Augh! "Two countries separated by a common language." Plus French.

So, an appetiser (UK) is an amuse bouche (US), an entree (US) is a main (UK), an entree (UK) is an appetizer (US), and who the heck knows how much food will be served as a "small plate" in either US or UK?

I get the "Have we ordered enough?" and remembering that sides are separate orders.

And the replies from others are settling my overplanning fearful stomach. Although eating supper at 5:30 is likely to double jet lag my body clock, so post-theatre it will be, I suspect.

Any more on restaurant mores? (That was Latin.)
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 04:21 AM

It will probably say 'Starter', 'Main', 'Dessert' on most UK menus. Amuse bouche is a freebie that you get before a starter in some places. You wouldn't normally have to order it.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 04:23 AM

A small plate means tapas style snack. Not enough to constitute a main on its own. You'd order several, especially if sharing.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 04:34 AM

"So, an appetiser (UK) is an amuse bouche (US)" No it is not, an amuse bouche is the same in the US as the UK
"an entree (UK) is an appetizer (US) " A starter is an appetiser, it's really easy, starter - main course - dessert.
Waiting staff do not take plates from one guest while the others are still eating and they do not bring the check the minute you've finished eating your main course and haven't had a chance to look at the desserts. They don't say things like "are you done".

"An “Appetiser” in the UK will be a few little offerings - something along the lines of an amuse bouche." Not in my experience, if I ordered a starter and it was the size of an amuse bouche, I would not be pleased. An amuse bouche is a just one mouthful of something.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 05:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
an amuse bouche should be a surprise and a mouthful at most, something the chef thought up while making your courses (though probably done that morning and stuck in the fridge), light and fanciful, they should thrill the palette while demonstrating the chef's technical skill and the quality of the goods he bought in.

not a starter ;-)
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 03:21 PM

In case it hasn't already been noted and I apologize if it has, an amuse bouche is not ordered but a complementary bite or tidbit from the chef. An appetizer is ordered and paid for, but I think everyone pretty much understands that now.

You really have nothing to worry about. I've never had a British waiter be anything but helpful. Dining routine in London is like dining in any large American city. In my early travels I always booked a 7:00 dinner but lately have chosen an earlier hour being older and usually ready for a few chapters in a good book and bed about 9:00 p.m. My most recent trip did include some 7:00 p.m. dining, but I had my son, daughter-in-law and 12 years old granddaughter with me so the sightseeing went a bit longer than when I'm solo. I have seen an increase in early dining but it's still easier to book at 6:00 than at 7:00. I agree that booking is probably essential especially on weekends and if there is somewhere special you want to go.

One caveat, while I have used Open Table if they don't have an opening at the time you want for the number of people you want, contact the restaurant personally. I found this out while trying to book a very popular restaurant in Salisbury. Open Table had nothing available online until several days after we wanted to book. This was to be for my son's birthday. I called the restaurant and there was no problem getting exactly the day, time and the seating we wanted.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

I really appreciate the calming answers. I tend to overplan overworry and get obsessive before a trip. The comments here have been immensely helpful and reassuring.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

I'll add another question group:

Is there some general strategy about reservations vs walk-in. There will likely be days where we have no particular plan, so will not know in advance where we may be at meal time. How likely will we be unable to walk in? Should we attempt a reservation even if it very close to the time we want to go? And are there " hard" days or times to eat without a reservation? (Sunday, Friday and Saturday nights, after theatre) Are sites like Open Table better than calling the restaurant directly?

Thanks!
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 04:56 PM

>>Is there some general strategy about reservations vs walk-in<<

Entirely depends on he venue. Some casual places don't even accept reservations. If you eat early it is often easier to get in without booking. But many special places book up weeks in advance.

>>Should we attempt a reservation even if it very close to the time we want to go? <<

If you know where you want to eat (and assuming they accept bookings) absolutely try to book just before arriving . . . at worst you will know for sure if they are booked up and going would be futile. You would really want to pre book Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays - And if you want to eat in any of the fine restaurants (as opposed to the casual cafes) in any of the museums/galleries you will want to book whether lunch or dinner. Like the Portrait Restaurant at the National Portrait Gallery, the Rex Whistler at Tate Britain, Level 9 at Tate Modern, etc.

>>Are sites like Open Table better than calling the restaurant directly?<<

Many restaurants once you click 'make a booking' they throw you over to Open Table's booking site anyway
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

<Many restaurants once you click 'make a booking' they throw you over to Open Table's booking site anyway>

I was thinking by phone.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 05:23 PM

I hardly ever bother by phone - Open Table (or Bookatable.co.uk ) is immediate too.

If the booking sites show no availability I will sometimes phone to see if there's been a cancelation or can squeeze me in.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 09:56 PM

Anywhere you really want to go to, book in advance. If you don't want to book, try for an early table somewhere.
But as Janisj says, this really depends on the time and day. Weekends are busy. And if it's a holiday period, restaurants in residential areas are often quiet because lcoals are away. This is true for many places in August, for example. Even in touristy areas, some restaurants are not that busy in August. We booked the Palomar for 5 on the same day recently. This is normally fully booked well in advance (though you can get bar seats without booking).
Some of the restaurants that don't take reservations get very long queues. Like Dishoom, for example, even if you go at 5 pm. I detest standing in line for dinner, so skip those places. For just 2 people you may get lucky.

I use Open Table and seldom call. You can put in your area, preferred cuisine and time of day to see what's available in your area the same day.

You can book and cancel if your plans change, but at the top restaurants they will ask your CC information and have a cancellation policy.