Rude restaurant in London

Jun 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Rude restaurant in London

What's the name of the Chinese restaurant where you effectively pay to be insulted?

Is it still in business?
Jun 1st, 2007, 11:19 AM
ComfyShoes

Is this a joke? Must you pay to be insulted? I suspect if you ask nicely, almost any overworked restaurant Maitre'D will happily insult you even without getting paid!

I am just kidding, of course. Interesting, novel concept. Do you pay more, the more insulting the comments? I would very much like to take couple people I know If they drop soups etc, they will deserve extra tip from me.

Just kidding.

Jun 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM

Wong Kei?
Waiters don't smile, order you upstairs and you share tables, but food is good, plentiful and cheap (for Soho at least).
Haven't been in years but I hear it still survives and thrives.
Jun 1st, 2007, 12:25 PM

The Wong Kei'sd great value, and as long as you're assertive they're not remotely rude. Just a bit brusque.

This is absolutely not one of those gimmicks. They offer great value because they have fast throughput and they cram the bodies in. They've discovered the hard way that all this politeness malarkey slows the service down, distracts waiters from doing their job and encourages people to take up excess space.

As a result, because they (correctly) understand we come to eat, not to find a new best friend, they serve good, authentic, Cantonese food quickly and cheaply.

Great place. Good food served properly. The PERFECT antidote if you've just had a fortnight putting up with the licensed begging cum grotesque impertinence that's passed off as service in the United States.
Jun 1st, 2007, 12:31 PM

What's a "fortnight"?
Jun 1st, 2007, 12:36 PM

Fortnight = 2 weeks (Britsh English)
Jun 1st, 2007, 12:47 PM

Flanner,,you are so full of BS you big pussycat.(or is it Cheshire?)..everybody KNOWS you adore the United States since you are over here so often LOL!
Jun 1st, 2007, 01:32 PM

I think Flanner's right. Just the other day I had a fellow ask me if I would "like a refreshing beverage while I peruse the menu". His name was Ward, or Jeffrey, or Bradley -- he told me, but I've forgotten. I don't want to know his name. I don't want to peruse anything and I want a goddamn cup of coffee you insufferable little -- oops, got a little carried away there. But this waiter was slathering on the verbiage so thick I was having trouble making out the parts I was trying to hear, like what the soup was.

A little rudeness is sometimes just right.
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM

And it's all bound up with what is to an European an innane tipping custom. In most of Europe service is included, either by law or custom, and anything you give over and above is entirely up to you, and many locals don't leave a tip without the waiter chasing you to the door or thinking you won't be returning.
Why can't US restaurants include 15% or 20% or whatever in service in menu prices, pay the waiting staff decent wage and do away with this Victorian, subservient way of earning a living?
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM

You have your customs, we have ours. We deal with yours when we travel or we don't go there & you're free to do the same.
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:47 PM

Interesting thread. Who'd have thought? For some reason though, I flashed back to a Monty Python sketch.

"I paid for an argument. This is just contradiction."

"No, it's not."
Jun 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM

Carrybean your reply wins my nod as answer of the year. It goes on both isdes of the Atlantic. If it bugs you so freakin' much, don't go anymore.
Jun 1st, 2007, 07:01 PM

Alec, I agree with you to some extent. Restaurants should pay their servers a decent wage and get rid of tipping altogether. I may be alone in this, but I'd prefer not to tip my hairdresser, the taxi driver, or anyone else. At the same time, people need to charge an appropriate rate for their services so they can make a living. It wouldn't be much different from what it is now -- it would just be built into the original price of the service.

Clifton, thank you for the belly laugh.
Jun 1st, 2007, 09:31 PM

In San Francisco, way back in the 80s, there was a famously cranky (but lovable) waiter at Sam Wo's. The restaurant was cheap and good enough for college students. The waiters name was Edsel Ford Fong.

So even in this rather friendly city, we had a much-appreciated crank!
Jun 1st, 2007, 11:13 PM

Suz12,

I recall San Francisco, too. I, a very poor student, lived in the Haight Ashbury in the '50s. We regularly went to a Chinese restaurant on Haight. Each time we would ask the waiter, "Joe, what have you got today?"

"Same old clap. You order quick; no puck around", was his unfailing reply.

Actually, the food was rather good. The daily special on Wednesdays was always baked beef heart. Really delicious, and it cost a whopping 65 cents.

Oh, those were the days ---

Jun 1st, 2007, 11:36 PM

I flashed and the office of abuse or insults.

thereyet
Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:21 AM

Wong Kei (or "Wonky's" to us locals) is an institution. Personally I could do without the rather snotty service. However I have discovered that, being a large shaven headed male, if I glare at them they stop it quickly.

Mind you they probably gob in my soup.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:34 AM

I like being waited on in a restaurant by a friendly staff. Maybe it's an American thing but I tip everyone that give me great service, waiters, Hair dresser, Lawn service guy,pizza delivery driver, taxi driver etc. I guess some people are just on a tight budget and can't afford to tip a service person?
Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:37 AM
JN

Flanneruk wrote:

...The PERFECT antidote if you've just had a fortnight putting up with the licensed begging cum grotesque impertinence that's passed off as service in the United States.

Poor you: having been forced to travel to America and endure such horrors. Life just isn't fair.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:16 AM

There's a difference between actual friendliness and the robotic speech and mannerisms of a certain kind of over-trained American waiter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO