Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London questions (Easter, walking, Evan Evans)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling to London and didn't realize that we'll be there Easter weekend. I've read here that much of the country has a four-day weekend (Friday through Monday). Does that mean that tourist sites will be more crowded than usual? Will churches be limited to services all weekend (i.e. no tourists allowed)? Debating whether to get the touristy sites (Tower of London, Churchill War Rooms, museums, etc) out of the way, or wait until later in the week.
Also, I'm temporarily unable to walk long distances without resting. I know London is very much a walking town; are there benches or places to sit along most streets? I'd rather not plop down on the sidewalk, but if necessary that's what I'll do! I have a pinched nerve and am ok to walk about 1/2 to 3/4 a mile without much issue, but then I have to sit for a couple of minutes to recover. Same is true with standing for a long time. I'm sure I'll be in line many, many times, but I'm ok sitting on the ground if a line isn't moving.
Last question - we're heading to Harry Potter with Evan Evans tours (only way we could get tickets - can't belive how quickly our dates were snagged!). Because my walking is slower than normal and we want to see everything, does anyone know if we can just take the train back if we miss the Evan Evans bus? I don't want to be rushed and miss anything, and the tour group tickets state that we only are allowed four hours at the studios.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 08:33 AM

Why don't you get one of those canes that has a fold-down seat attached so you can sit down whenever you need to? Better than sitting down on the sidewalk! I also would think that, with a pinched nerve, it might be difficult to get up from the ground.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"are there benches or places to sit along most streets?"

You will not find many seats on busy roads or in residential areas, but anywhere near a square, plazza or park you will find plenty of seating. I too would recommend a shooting-stick or fold downable seat on a stick.

In certain spaces you may prefer to hire a powered wheel chair, this link is not a recommendation merely evidence of possibilities https://www.london-express-wheelchair-hire.com/ .

General info on London and "Accessibile" https://wheelchairtravel.org/london/...ransportation/

I don't know about Evan Evans, I'd drop them an email and ask them.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 09:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Does that mean that tourist sites will be more crowded than usual?"

Many will be much busier.

"Will churches be limited to services all weekend (i.e. no tourists allowed)?"

Some extra services on Good Friday, and of course Easter Sunday when places like Westminster Abbey and St Paul's will be closed to touring all day (as they are EVERY Sunday).

" Debating whether to get the touristy sites (Tower of London, Churchill War Rooms, museums, etc) out of the way, or wait until later in the week.
"

Sites like the Tower of London are always busier on weekends and Easter weekend would be even more so.

"I know London is very much a walking town; are there benches or places to sit along most streets? I'd rather not plop down on the sidewalk, but if necessary that's what I'll do!"

Do NOT sit on the pavement (Britspeak for sidewalk). Rent a rollator with a seat - which you can do in London. Can even have it delivered to your hotel. That will solve the problem of having to sit while either walking or waiting in line. Again -- do NOT sit on the pavement.

Re Evans Evans -- of course you can take the train back. Just tell the driver when you get off the bus at the Studio that IF you are not back at the bus on time not to wait for you. You aren't prisoners on the coach -- but they do need to know not to wait for you. Not that they'd wait very long in any case!
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 10:15 AM

Keep in mind that the UK goes to Summer Time the last Sunday in March.
Similar to US DST, but a different date.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

A chair cane is a good suggestion for long lines. I have no issues getting up from the ground. I was extremely active and limber before this issue, which helps!
Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input!
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by hlphillips2
A chair cane is a good suggestion for long lines. I have no issues getting up from the ground. I was extremely active and limber before this issue, which helps!
Thanks for your input.
Do you have any idea how filthy the pavements are? London isn't some pristine village where the sidewalks are washed down every morning. Pigeon poop, normal city grime, spit, urine, etc etc. Get either a tripod shooting stick seat or a monopod seat cane (I tried to post links to examples but the system threw up all over itself -- will look for links the site likes better)
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 11:08 AM

maybe these will work:

https://www.llmedico.com/drive-folda...hoC7o0QAvD_BwE

https://fashionablecanes.com/product...RoCpDUQAvD_BwE
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 06:59 AM

I have both a seating cane and rollater with seat and much prefer the latter which I use for outdoor concerts and such.
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 08:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes, really don't sit on the ground
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
I wouldn't dream of sitting by a building or on a curb in Dublin. Yet for many neighborhoods in Paris I wouldn't hesitate. It's been 30 years since being in London, and as a teen I remember sitting on the pavement outside of the Tower waiting for our entry. But that was a very long time ago!
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 01:03 PM

My husband and I bought backpacks with an incorporated stool for our visit to the Milan Expo. We imagined long lines, huge crowds, and scarce seating. As it turned out, seating was not scarce, but in the long lines people looked enviously at our seats.

I think this is a better solution for many people. A cane is a cumbersome thing to carry around if you don't need one to assist your walking. I speak from experience. A backpack, on the other hand, leaves your hands free, and can hold a water bottle or an umbrella.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 03:19 PM

I like going to James Smith & Sons, New Oxford St., for walking sticks and umbrellas. They have shooting sticks with fold down seats. Takes you back to another age.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bvlenci
My husband and I bought backpacks with an incorporated stool for our visit to the Milan Expo. We imagined long lines, huge crowds, and scarce seating. As it turned out, seating was not scarce, but in the long lines people looked enviously at our seats.

I think this is a better solution for many people. A cane is a cumbersome thing to carry around if you don't need one to assist your walking. I speak from experience. A backpack, on the other hand, leaves your hands free, and can hold a water bottle or an umbrella.
Love this alternative! I just found a very small, foldable chair that I agree, is probably less cumbersome than a walking stick. It looks like it will tuck perfectly into our small backpack, which we'll bring for water anyway.
And for anyone in the same situation down the road, I've learned that Harry Potter Studio Tour has foldable chairs they lend for free to visitors upon request.
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 10:10 AM

National and Portrait Gallery, Tate Britain, British Museum and so forth have folding stools on racks tucked here and there. Handy also if you just want to gaze at something for a while
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by stokebailey
National and Portrait Gallery, Tate Britain, British Museum and so forth have folding stools on racks tucked here and there. Handy also if you just want to gaze at something for a while
All museums should have these!
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 05:34 AM

I bought my father a tripod cane with seat, but it requires balance (as does the shooting stick). With the tripod-cane, you straddle it and sit on it "backwards," if that makes sense. Neither my mom or dad took to using it, so it sounds like your foldable chair is a good option. However, many are low to the ground, so check the height. I'd once shopped for one, and many require a person to squat fairly low. Have a wonderful trip!