Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone taken an Evan Evans tour in/around London?

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:01 AM
meagan

Hi All,

I'm going to be in London for three days at the end of June and was considering taking the Stonehenge/Bath tour that Evan Evans offers. Apparently they pick you up at a number of designated hotels, take you to Stonehenge, then over to Bath, then back to London around supper time. Has anyone taken this or any of Evan Evans' tours? If so, what did you think? I'm also wondering if I'll have time to do the Jane Austen house in Bath if I go on this tour . . . any info would be appreciated.

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:20 AM
s.fowler

We took the EE Stonehenge/Bath trip a year ago. We were very satisfied. Our guide was very pleasant and helpful and we wouldn't have been able to visit both sites in the same days without taking their tour.

The downside is, of course, it's a tour, with all the hurry-up-and-wait that a large group can engender. As for time in Bath -- I can't remember exactly how much we had. It was someplace around 1 1/2 to 2 hours I think. [Be sure to be clear on where the bus will be and remember your bus number -- it gets crowded in the summer.] They take you to the Roman Baths first. We raced through the baths themselves. The problem is there is an extensive [and very interesting] museum between your view of the baths from the upper and lower levels and no quick way except streaking through the museum to get from one to the other fast. We did manage to see the abbey [well worth it], have lunch at Cafe Uno and walk the Poultney Bridge, but we DID feel hurried. I don't know where the Jane Austen exhibit is, but I know I was sorry that I hadn't had the time to walk back to the crescent to see the georgian homes. If the JA site is near the center, if you race through the baths you should have time. I hope someone can be more specific.

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:39 AM
jhm

We took an Evan Evans tour from London to Winsdor and Hampton Court. The guide seemed a little crazed (calling everyone on the bus "angels" and carrying on an almost Monty Python esque monologue on the merits of various cars, men, etc.), but was definitely amusing and knew what she was talking about in terms of the sites we visited.

Old May 14th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Vanessa

I have not taken an Evan Evans tour, but I did visit Bath on my own last year and found it very easy to navigate. I took the train from Paddington Station, I believe. Then it's a straight shot to Bath Spa. It leaves you right in the center of town. From there, Since we only had a little while to explore, we took a Guide Friday double decker tour bus around town. They take you throughout the town and also into the countryside a little bit. Then we went to the Roman Baths, Bath Abbey, Sally Lunn's for lunch, saw the Pump Room, and walked around a bit. We visited Bath from about 10 a.m. to about 5 p.m. We didn't have time to see inside the Jane Austen House, the Botanic Gardens or the Costume museum, but would have liked to. There is a train to and from Bath just about every hour, so you can leave whenever you want.
Although Bath was great, and I really loved it, with only three days for London, I would stay only in the city. You wouldn't believe how much there is to do in London (unless of course, you've been there before, which you didn't mention). There are the great double decker bus tours in London which will take an entire day to do. Then there is Portobello Road/Nottinghill, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's Cathedral, tons of museums, a boat ride on the Thames, wonderful Walking Tours of the city (I highly recommend), the theatre, Hyde Park, and a lot more. Have a great time doing whatever you choose!

Old May 14th, 2001, 08:18 AM
SteveJames

Hello Meagan,

Evan Evans are now the most expensive operators offering this tour. Their price is 48.50. Other companies which offer the same tour are:-

www.bigvaluetours.com (40)
www.grayline.com (Frames Rickards)
www.visitorsightseeing.co.uk

Their prices include admission to Stonehenge and to the Roman Baths.
They usually allow no more than 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours in Bath.

Let me know if I can be of more help...

Steve

Old May 14th, 2001, 08:22 AM
John

meagan:
My wife and I took the Evan Evans London Day Tour this past Friday, April 13. Tour included changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace, tour of Tower of London, lunch at an excellent restaurant, and other London city sights. Tour started at 9am and ended at Trafalgar Square at 515pm. Had a great time. The lady guide was extemely qualified and well versed in London history. Highly recommend them.
John

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Sheila

To John: Did you tour of London with Evan Evans include Westminster Abby and St. Paul's Cathedral. Also did you tour allow time for photos at places you did not tour, for example, Big Ben? Thanks

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:16 AM
Meagan

Thanks for your responses! Steve, I checked out all of the websites you suggested and bigvaluetours.com had the best deal at 40pounds. Originally I was going to just take a train/bus to Bath and spend the day wandering around but I've always wanted to see Stonehenge and thought this would be a perfect way to do it. Plus, the prices I found on-line just for the transportation there was around the same price as the tour itself . . .does anyone know of any inexpensive bus/train companies in England? Vanessa, I haven't been to London before and I know there's tonnes to do and see but I really want to go to Bath as well. This is my first solo backpacking trip to Europe (i did an organized 10-day whirlwind tour in high school) and I just want to wander the streets and soak everything up, I'm not going to concern myself with hitting every single major sight . . . just a couple of the biggies!
Any more info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:28 AM
s.fowler

I'd just like to offer a caveat. There may be a reason that the others are cheaper and that EE is more expensive. It could have to do with quality of the buses, and quality and training of the guides. I don't have any specific information here -- but I've also learned that sometimes you pay more for cheap.

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:44 AM
ron

Meagan, re your cheaper train question, a super advance return ticket, purchased the day before your trip will cost 25.50. If you are able to purchase a week in advance, the price drops to 17.50. See www.thetrainline.com. For bus (coach) prices, see www.GoByCoach.com

Old May 14th, 2001, 02:54 PM

topper

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:07 PM
John

To Sheila:
Yes our tour did include Westminster Abby where we left the tour coach for about 30 minutes. Plenty of time along the tour for photos.

To S. Fowler: You are quite right. One gets what one pays for.
John

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Linda

I took the EE tour to Bath/Stonehenge last November and found, for a tour of that type, that it was excellent. They give ample time in Stonehenge (you don't need a lot). In Both we were able to, in a leisurely manner, do the baths and have a long lunch. Plus we had time to walk around for about 1/2 hour. I know, we didn't really "see" Bath, but it gave me enough time to see the highlights. The bus was very comfortable and the guide was very good. I highly recommend them.

Old May 14th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Nancy

We are using Astral Travels.

http://www.astraltravels.co.uk/index.htm

The Stonehenge Inner Circle Tour was my first pick!

"Astral Travels have arranged with English Heritage for you to experience a unique visit to this ancient sacred site - beyond the fences & after the crowds have gone home. Walk amongst the stones & experience the magical atmosphere within the inner circle."

They offer this tour the day before we get in London & the day after we leave. We are going to take the "Stones & Bones" Tour. These trips don't offer Bath, which is disappointing to me, but I would rather see Avebury & Stonehenge this trip.

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:45 PM
J

Hi Nancy, thanks for the Astral site. They had a tour Pilgrim progress, to Canterbury, Kent,and Leeds Castle, sounded excellent. we leave in four days. j

Old May 15th, 2001, 04:05 AM
SteveJames

Hello again Meagan,

I can't comment on the guides, but I see Big Value Tours and Evan Evans in town frequently, - both use modern coaches.