Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 09:13 PM
TKT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Pubs. Politics

I am from Boston, USA.
First time in London this Oct.
I hope to enjoy London pubs and I would like to really get a flavor for the lively, political pub life. I am not sensitive at all to anti-Americanism. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 10:45 PM

I wouldn't say that politics are much of a topic of conversation in pubs, to be honest. It's more likely to be gossip about your friends/what happened to you at work today/last night's football on TV/etc etc....

I'm not sure what you are asking. Do you want to go to a pub and talk about politics? You can try. You might get some takers, you might not.

Or were you just asking how you get to join in with the conversations in pubs and the 'politics' was a bit of a red-herring?
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"lively"

I'm afraid you're in for a shock.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:51 AM

People will talk to you about just about anything - but politics will be low on the list.

Don't worry about "anti-americanism". A few wrong 'uns notwithstanding, most of us know the difference between yanks as people and the yankee government. In general we're keen on one, less so on the other.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 02:12 AM

London has two types of pubs. One is the 'local' where neighbors visit. They are often 'unfriendly' to unsponsored guests. The second is an open type hosting casual visitors. Inquire at your hotel about a 'local'. Be prepared to buy a 'round'. At the casual bar, ask for a recommendation of a beer or ale. In Wales I got a whole afternoon of Port tasting after inquiring...I did the same in Scotland askingt for scotch information. Ask at your hotel for a nearby pub with the best 'pub grub'.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 02:39 AM

In general pubs on the tourist trail in London are grim. They have no need to build up return business.

However even in the most touristy places you will find (usually down a backstreet) pubs where people who work in the area go after work.

Where about are you staying?

Two good websites for picking out a pub are

www.fancyapint.com

and www.beerintheevening.com
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 04:03 AM

i would not have high expectations about interacting with 'the locals'. i agree with CW that central london's pub culture is pretty grim overall. most pubs though are not touristy pubs...they are party pubs for young people who converge on london from the suburbs or working types getting pi$$ed after work. both groups are not very friendly to be around and these types of pubs might not be what you have in mind. the other type are the quieter, more local oriented places where people aren't really looking to talk to strangers.

many pubs contain an element of both...a contingent of regulars and the roving pub crawlers who are looking for a party.

in general we are very private people. most of us would rather be waterboarded than have to talk to a stranger. mobile phones are our crutch. we stare down at them constantly to avoid having to make eye contact with strangers.

i would say that boston is a rather unfriendly place as american cities go....it's very difficult for outsiders there. however, i think london is in another league when it comes to unfriendliness.

another tip is to learn how to say 'sorry'. that's another one of our social crutches. we can have full five minute conversations just consisting of saying sorry to the other participant in our conversation. for example, if you approach the bar and someone is blocking your way:

person 1: "Sorry" (meaning - get out of my way!)

person 2: "Oh Sorry" (meaning - ok, i see you, yeah i'll get out of the way when i'm good and ready.

person 1: "Sorry" (meaning - it's ok, don't get riled...i'm cool.)

person 2: "Sorry" (meaning - ok i'm getting out of your way now. i see you just want a beer)

we are bizarre and socially handicapped people. good luck trying to engage us in a proper conversation. i feel for you.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:02 AM
TKT
Original Poster

Thank you all

Walkaround,

You are right about Boston, are you saying London is much more closed?

I'm staying in Notting Hill.

I'll be there about two weeks before the American elections. I hoped to get into discussions about what Europeans think about them, am I just dreaming?

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:31 AM

Most Notting Hill pubs are full of trustafarian wankers and other scuffers.

However there is one pub that fits the bill perfectly. It's the Uxbridge Arms:

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...s/Notting_Hill

It used to be my regualr haunt when I was attached to NH Probabtion.

The Hillgate nearby isn't too bad either. All the other pubs in the area are beyond the pale - unless you like 20 year old ex MPS schoolboys playing at being DJs.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:03 AM
a1139a

A little off topic...but my favorite London pub memory is of the "gentleman" who sat with us (uninvited) because he was convinced that my husband was Dustin Hoffman. (There is absolutely no resemblance, however.) Not only that, he had on a large overcoat and kept pulling out large cans of Fosters from the pockets--what we call "oil cans." He was harmless, but a pest nonetheless.

www.hereinfranklin.wordpress.com

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM

If you really want "political" conversations the following Westminster venues are worth a try:

The Red Lion - 48 Parliament St

St Steven's Tavern - 10 Bridge St

Westminster Arms (upstairs)- 9 Storey's Gate

While politicos drink at these, you also get quite a lot of tourists and they can get very crowded.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM

The best guide I've seen to pub etiquette:

http://www.sirc.org/publik/pub.html
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:08 PM

owain...that pub guide is complete nonsense and describes pub life from 75 years ago. i suggest ignoring it.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:17 PM

I've never discussed politics in a pub. Why is this even an issue?
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Pubs are not hotbeds of political debate. You're much more likely to hear people discussing their private lives or TV shows or movies - or perhaps some scandal of local interest.

Also, I think you have a very mistaken view of the political views of the British public. By and large they are NOT anti-american. If you can get people to talk politics (which may be very difficult) I think you will find they are anti the current administration - as are the vast majority of the american public - and not anti-american at all.

And "debating"anything in pubs would be considered quite odd.

If you want to debate people on american politics I think you'll find it much easier to do here at home.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 06:34 PM

and let's not assume that all britons are passionately anti-bush. while most find him pretty ridiculous as a persona, it is quite common for britons to agree with his politics in many ways and to ironically find him and all his bumbles and straight talk a little refreshing as compared to our smooth talking blair (who likes bush btw). and with what we now have in office, most britons are not too quick to criticise other leaders, even bush. finally, running around criticising bush after about 5-6 years is pretty old....passion about this is pretty deflated and we are worried more about our own incompetent leaders (as we should be).

i appreciate that some britons here do like to lecture americans about the evils of bush but as the chatter in our pubs, what is there left to say after 5-6 years of this?

you say you are not sensitive to anti-americanism. just be a normal guy and don't try to play the american. i think it's a little offputting when americans visit britain and think it's all about THEIR leaders, their election, etc. forget about your americanism and just enjoy britain. and the ones who go around putting down their government, etc thinking that it will score points with us and somehow prove they are different than 'typical americans' are annoying (yes, i do see plenty of these).

just talk about the weather.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
walkinaround is right - talk about the weather - EVERYBODY will have something to say about that

Some visitors do give the semi-impression that "England is a theme park where locals in the pubs will amuse me w/ interesting chatter. And the quaint towns are just so twee."

Not saying that is what you meant - but that is sort of how some of us do come across . . . . . . .
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:50 AM

Topics of discusssion in the pub last night:

The Ryder Cup

Football - various

Job prospects in the city

The bristols on a particularly lucky lady

Work stuff

Girlfriend stuff (don't ask me what - it's just a noise).

That's pretty normal.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 02:11 AM

Likely topics of conversation from my experience (i.e. male perspective)

Football ("soccer&quot

Girls (with or without large "Bristols&quot

Work (normally how much everyone hates it, so and so in Finance is a t*&t, that bird in HR is a definite)

Potentially some stuff about Gordon Brown (Yo Blair's substitute)

Definitely not American politics unless it is taking the mickey out of GWB
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 05:00 AM

"owain...that pub guide is complete nonsense and describes pub life from 75 years ago. i suggest ignoring it."

Hmmm, there must be a timewarp at the door of my local, then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -