Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London: Protesters Threaten to Shut Down Heathrow Airport with Drones

Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A group called Extinction Rebellion has threatened to shut down Heathrow Airport with drones on June 18 and then, if airport authorities don't agree to cancel the building of a third runway at Heathrow, up to ten days from July 1, 2019.

From article linked to below: "The group has asked supporters to congregate on the fringes of Heathrow on 18 June, “to carry out nonviolent direct action to ensure Heathrow Authorities close the airport for the day”.

Extinction Rebellion protesters intend to fly drones to force operations to be suspended at Europe’s busiest airport, as what it calls “a ‘pause’ in recognition of the genocidal impact of high carbon activities, such as flying, upon the natural world”.

So, if planning to land at Heathrow during those periods be prepared for chaos and planes being cancelled - much like what happened at Gatwick Airport last year and there there may not even have been a drone at all - except maybe police ones. But, with airport authorities expecting drones, perhaps there would be good anti-drone plans in place and actual airport shutdowns unlikely on a large scale.

Various environment and local neighborhood groups have for years been protesting the construction of a third runway at one of the world's busiest and noisiest airports. Airplanes account for about 5% of total climate change causes, and expanding the airport, to environmental activists, just means enabling more air travel then before.

Like we learned with Gatwick, even a single drone - or none at all as the well-documented phenomenon of people reporting drone sightings after hearing of them - cam cause chaos at the airport for days - shutting it down for some days. So, it takes only one sighting to set off many more so to me it seems airports are easy targets.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8941351.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-48470623

Last edited by PalenQ; Jun 3rd, 2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/e...-a4168316.html

Plans to shut down Heathrow have apparently folded under pressure that sending a dozen drones or so to shut down Heathrow could be a serious crime as i would endangers thousands of travelers. Protests continue however.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 10:09 AM

I'd not sweat it, there are loads of other targets that this group can go after and the public are moving in their direction at the moment so they would be fools to inconvenience them greatly.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 11:37 AM

Yes Pal, if you are going to provide a marketing platform for these people then I’ll just post and make it clear what the Police’s position is in regard to their possible actions.

The Police have warned anyone purposefully flying a drone in restricted airspace may face charges of endangering an aircraft under counter terrorism legislation which , if anyone was unaware, attracts a maximum of a life sentence if found guilty.

Doesn't matter if you are an Islamic or Environmental extremist the charge is still the same.

As I’ve posted before .....

the problem isnt isn’t too many flights, too much plastic or nasty developed countries.

The problem is over population in most nations save for maybe Norway.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Yes Pal, if you are going to provide a marketing platform for these people then I’ll just post and make it clear what the Police’s position is in regard to their possible actions.>

Not my intention but to warn travelers about possible delays, etc. I do not know enough about the fifth runway to take a side - but yes airplanes do pollute heavily and think high-speed rail would be better between London and Scotland, etc than a cheap flight.