Best Way from Gatwick Airport to Sheraton Skyline

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our return home, from our 1 month adventure, we fly from Pisa, Italy to Gatwick Airport in England and then fly out the next day from Heathrow (BA). I have gotten the Sheraton Skyline for $75.00 on priceline. What is the best way to get from Gatwick Airport to the Sheraton? At this point in our trip it will be worth paying a little bit more for less hassle. It looks like the Sheraton to Heathrow trip the next day is best by cab or shuttle. Thanks !
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Another idea might be to go on to Heathrow after arriving at Gatwick (what time of day do you arrive) and not have to worry the next morning.Traffic can be very slow at times on that route.
The town of Windsor,(Windsor Castle, Eton school etc) by Heathrow, is lovely for strolling around and even staying the night....and most hotels would have a shuttle to Heathrow terminal the next morning.

On the other and,,if the Sheraton Skyline is close to Gatwick they are sure to have a shuttle with regular pickups. The Renaissance, close to Gatwick, is VERY nice and they have good weekend rates...ANd a shuttle of course.
I'd still "scoot on over to the Heathrow area the night before" &gt
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
mari5: The Sheraton Skyline IS at LHR (not LGW)

travel52: depending on the times of your flights I might not have booked at LHR. it is fast and east getting to LHR from Central London on the Heathrow Express. But since you already have your room bought and paid for - just take the LGW/LHR coach. It will drop you at Heathrow and then you can take a cab or the Hotel Hoppa to the hotel.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:48 AM

That should be "It is fast and easy . . " but it doesn't really matter since you went priceline . . . . .
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM
P_M

Hi, janis. I will have a similar overnight layover on my next trip, where I will fly into LGW arriving at 4:45pm and flying out of LHR at 7:55am the next morning. I'm still undecided if I want to stay at an airport hotel near LHR or in the city. I'm leaning toward the city, but in case I decide on the airport hotel, please tell me what is the Hotel Hoppa.

Thanks.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM
P_M

Never mind, Janis, I googled the Hoppa.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM

oops! Sorry! I misinterpreted your question (as people often do on Fodors)

Sounds like you have your connection "under control".
Your adventure in Italy sounds great...will we be getting a report one of these days?

While I'm at it: janisj........are you the UK janis?
We've been to Scotland 5 or 6 times, (April and OCt etc,) but never in March. Is it really too early to enjoy Scotland in March?...we don't mind rainy and cool, if not TERRIBLY COLD!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 01:19 PM

P_M - while it looks good that you could have an evening in central London, your flight out of LHR is incredibly early the next morning making a hotel at LHR seem like the best idea.

Do you have to check-in at LHR or are you checked all the way through to your final destination?
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM
P_M

Hi, Where2Travel. I will have to check in, but I am told that AA offers a self-service check in. I'm anxious to see how much of a time-saver that will be.

My plan is to stay near Paddington Station then take the Heathrow Express. It's only a 15 minute ride, so if I take a 5:30am train I should get there in plenty of time. I didn't want this early flight, but it's a FF award ticket and this was all I could get. But that's OK, I'll sleep on the plane.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 02:37 PM

P_M,,,good luck, but what's the point ? ? for about 9 or l0 hrs at the hotel near Paddington. AND the hassle!

With luck you'll be at your hotel by 7 PM and out by 5 at the latest the next morning.
I'd be interesed in knowing how the self serve check-in works. I guess you are not checking any luggage (thus saving time the night before at Gatwick also)

Sounds fun, however, and to each his one!

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM

correction: "to each his OWN"!
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 03:38 PM
P_M

Hello, mari5. I will be checking luggage, but according other posters to the board I can still use the self-serve and drop the bag. I'll post back when I return and let everyone know how well this process works.

As I said above I'm still undecided about where to stay that night. I guess the way I see it, in either case it will be a hassle. The main reason I'm considering staying in the city is that I might be able to catch a walking tour in London. But I confess to being tempted by the airport hotels and possibly strolling around Windsor that evening. Now that I've learned about the hoppa, the airport sounds even more attractive. I've thought about posting a thread asking for opinions as to where to stay, the city or the airport. Thanks for your input, and if anyone else would like to jump in, please do so.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:28 PM

mari5: I guess you could call me "the UK janis" I used to post as janis but had to use a new screen name when I couldn't log on -- and no, I wasn't banned, at least I don't think so

March is iffy re weather in Scotland - but then so is most of the rest of the year. One great thing about March is airfares are about the lowest of the year. It can be really cold/wet but it can be clear and cool/brisk too. March isn't my favorite time to visit - that would be May/June or Sept/Oct. But it def. isn't terrible and I for sure wouldn't turn it down . . . .
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:34 PM
P_M

Hi, janis. What do you think of my situation? Would you stay in the city or near LHR?
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:47 PM

I'd stay in London only if I had something to do there before leaving for the airport. A hotel is a hotel, after all.

I'd rather pay the Tube £1.80 to get to my bed in the evening than the Express £13 the next morning.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:50 PM

P_M: Normally I'll do just about <b>anything</b> to squeeze out an extra night in London. But even w/ AA self check-in, in your situation I'd personally stay near the airport. That is just an awfully early flight.

What I'd do is book a place at LHR via Priceline and phone the hotel to advise I'll be checking in late. Then I'd stay in central London through dinner, maybe a play, or just a walk along the river. And then I'd head out to LHR/the hotel around 10:30-11:00 p.m.

You could &quot;sleep in&quot; til 0530 instead of getting on the HEX at 0530 - and still enjoy the extra evening in London.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:58 PM

I've posted this before, but going to/from the Sheraton Skyline, you can take the public buses for free within that perimeter. Just ask the driver if he goes along Bath Road to the Sheraton Skyline. Or you can look up the actual bus numbers using the Journey Planner at http://www.thetube.com .

P_M, if using Priceline, you might get the Crowne Plaza (or another hotel), which is not as convenient as the Sheraton Skyline. I'd definitely go for the airport hotel in your case if assured of getting one on Bath Road (which might be possible with Hotwire, but I'm not sure), but I'd be more hesitant if I didn't know the location of the airport hotel.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:14 PM
P_M

First of all, my apologies to travel52 for hijacking this thread. I hope you have all the answers you need.

Robespierre, unfortunatley my flight into London the night before will be arriving into LGW, so the coach will cost me 20GBP to get to LHR from LGW. But the more I think about it, it probably does make more sense to stay near the airport. I don't think I will post a seperate thread after all, especially now that I have the opinions of some of the most knowledgeable people on this board.

Thanks, all.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:21 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We've usually gotten the Skyline using PL - I like the hotel although the food/bev service is only so-so - bring plenty of money. However the last 2 times we've stayed at LHR we've PL'd into the Crowne Plaza, which is not on Bath Road and as far as I can tell has no convenient public transportation to much of anywhere. The Hoppa (don't get me started) goes there but that means another half hour and &pound;3 for the pleasure (?) of getting to the airport so you can switch to the HEX or the tube or whatever.

For the OP, you say you're flying out of LHR on BA. Be sure to check which terminal you fly from; the Hoppa doesn't go to T4 (BA's main longhaul terminal); instead you have to take it to T1/2/3, walk a mile or so through an awful tunnel, schlep your bags onto the HEX as it loops Heathrow (free) then up the lifts etc. to the ticket counters. Serious pain in the tuckus. If you're staying at the Skyline, book a cab to T4 (around &pound;10-15) and you'll be much happier. If it's the Crowne Plaza instead, sad to report from bitter personal experience that it's more like &pound;25.

LHR Hoppa
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 07:27 PM

P_M, you are you still undecided?

Given the extreme <i>tuchas</i> factor involved in schlepping first to the airport hotel and then back to the airport, it's now beginning to sound as though one of the hotels around Paddington would be preferable. I've always stayed at airport hotels that had frequent, reliable shuttles, so Gardyloo's scenario is all new to me.

Straight shot from Paddington to your gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -