Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Pass vs. Travelcard with 2for1 Offers

Dec 6th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

I will be in London for a week, and my friend will be there for 4 full days. She will arrive after and depart before I do. We are trying to understand the pros and cons of a London Pass and a Travelcard with 2for1 offers.

I know there have been a few listings earlier, but I am still confused about the multi-day London Pass vs. Travelcard and 2for1 deals in London. How does the 2for1 work with the Travelcard? Do we need to print out vouchers to all the sites we're interested in visiting, or is it enough to show the Travelcard?

Thanks.
Dec 7th, 2006, 12:46 AM

rarely have these inclusive passes worked out well for ME. especially for such a short time.

you can also get some discounts at www.lastminute.com, www.londontown.com and not worry about any specific passes except transport.

the oyster card looks like a good transport deal.

Dec 7th, 2006, 01:00 AM

I can't see the point of a London Pass - most of the things it covers are not the top 10 (or 20 for that matter) things to do in London, the travelpass option is so ridiculously OTT as to be beyond comment and to get "value" from the pass you'll spend most of your waking hours dashing from one attraction to another.

If you haven't been to London before there's enough FREE stuff to keep you going for several weeks let alone one
Dec 7th, 2006, 03:15 AM

The London Pass is a commercial package offering, for a fee that surprises many on this site, admission to a clutch of London attractions of widely varying interest

A Travelcard is one of the many packages Transport for London offers to get about the region. Searching "Oyster" or "Oystercard" on this board will give you as much information as you could possibly want.

The 2 for 1 deals are offered by a consortium of railway companies (quite separate from Transport for London). To qualify for them (all listed at www.2for1entry.co.uk) you need either:
- a currently valid railway ticket to a London destination (ie one marked with Britain's railway logo), or:
- one of the Transport for London tickets listed at www.2for1entry.co.uk/faq.aspx

I've no idea whether the London Pass transport supplement qualifies you for the 2 for 1 offer. Since the 2 for 1 deal requires you to have a 7 day travelcard, I'd very much doubt it - and if the 2 for 1 thing matters to you (in a city with so much free, it's hard to see why), I'd ask the London Pass operators.

If the 2 for 1 deal does matter, and you're travelling from outside Britain, there's much easier way of getting it than faffing about with the London Pass, though. Buy a return train - not tube - ticket from your arrival airport into town. You're now in possession of a valid train ticket, and therefore meet all the requirements of the 2 for 1 thing. Sign up on the site and print the vouchers.
Dec 7th, 2006, 06:48 AM

Look at the costs of things you want to do vs the costs of the Pass to determine if the London Pass is right for you. If you've not been to London before or want to do lots of the sights on their list, then it may be worthwhile.

I personally used the 6 day London Pass and got the value of it after 4 days, but I went to a lot of the castles and palaces which are high ticket items. If your interests are different, you may be better off with a different pass.
Dec 7th, 2006, 06:53 AM

If you've not been to London before then the LAST thing you'll need is a London Pass.
Dec 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM

The London Pass really isn't a deal for the vast majority of visitors. And the travel pass you can buy w/ it is even less of a bargain.

Just buy the transport pass/oyster when you get to London. There are more/better/cheaper travel options you can buy at any tube station.

As for the London Pass - Yes, it does cover some places you will want to visit. But if you get the short versions, you have to cram all the "biggies" into 1, 2 or 3 days (they must be consecutive days). You would find yourselves rushing from major attraction to major attraction just trying to squeeze in enough to make the pass pay.

W/ the 6 day Pass, you do have more time to see things - but it costs nearly $150. There are more than enough free sites in London and you really don't have time to visit enough of the for-pay sites to make it worthwhile.
Dec 7th, 2006, 12:49 PM

If you use an oyster card to travel to various attractions, exhibitions, theatres etc you can get 2 for 1 tickets. You need to scan the oyster when you buy your tickets. www.tfl.gov.uk has details of the 2for1's currently available; they include the London Eye, Apsley House, Tate Britain and Natural History Museum exhibitions, various ballets, musicals and concerts. Hope this helps
Dec 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM

All I can tell you is what I experienced four weeks ago. I had printed off the 2-for-1 coupons from the www.londontown.com web site for the attractions we were interested in prior to departure.

For the first two days, we avoided the Tube and walked all over London to experience the city on foot, and we visited quite a few free museums.

On the third day, our feet and legs were starting to ache, so we bought a 3-day Travel Card for Zones 1 & 2 at a cost of 15.40 (don't know how to insert the GBP sign), which would take us to the last day of our visit. We caught on quickly to the underground train system, and were able to cover lots of territory.

As for the coupons, e.g., at the Tower of London, and Madame Tussauds, the cashiers just asked me for the travel card, glanced at it, and that was the end of it: 1/2 price way to go!