London Pass.

Mar 13th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

London Pass.

Is it worth it to buy passes for each city like the london pass? I'm also going to Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, and Prague.
Mar 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Many people on this board will tell you that the London pass is not worth buying, especially if your visit to London is relatively short. The major museums in London are free. Just pay as you go for things you want to see that aren't.

The museum pass in Paris can be worth buying, but it depends entirely on how much of a museum goer you are.

I haven't been to the the other cities on your list so I can't comment on passes for any of them.
Mar 13th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Paris pass is absolutely worth buying. If you have it, you don't need to wait in the looooooong line outside museums - just walk in.

Londa Pass is also good to have, make sure you get the kind with transporation. Instead of walking from one attraction to another (we are talking about a lot of walking in any museum just by itself), you can just jump on a bus and go to the next stop. (Bus stops are literally everywhere.) We may be talking about saving just 5min walk here. But it is like a little bit rain in the desert... Besides London Pass gives you discount to many places.

Have fun.
Mar 13th, 2006, 01:18 PM

I wouldn't dismiss the London Pass out of hand - for many it doesn't fit into their plans, but for a first time London traveler it could be a great deal - boat rides on Thames and canal, bike tours, etc. See what's covered and then investigate more or forget.

The London Pass
London Pass - Tourist Card for London Attractions - Free Entry to over 50 Tourist
Attractions & Sightseeing Tours - Save with London Tourism Visitor Pass.
www.londonpass.com
Mar 13th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Make clear that the Paris Museum Pass is a great deal for many - not necessarily so about Paris Visite or metro passes - for the average tourist. And you have to be visiting a few museums like Louvre and Orsay to make museum pass pay off - Louvre is free first Sunday of month and many museums free or discount on Sundays - can buy Paris Museum pass at the museums - key is you get to shortcut lines at Louvre, Versailles, Orsay as there is a special entrance for museum pass holders.
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:16 PM

"but for a first time London traveler it could be a great deal".

Hardly, the London Pass has a couple of top attractions (Tower of London) but most of the rest you wouldn't go to see until you've been visiting London for several years.

And any company that advertises "Unique range: The British Museum and London's Transport Museum plus toy, military and medical collections." shouldn't be trusted at all - the British Museum is FREE except for special exhibitions

I'd look at websites like
http://www.london2for1.co.uk/Directory.aspx
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...ndex_flash.asp
http://www.londonfreelist.com/home.asp
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:29 PM

And by the way - the "Transport Option" is nothing more nor less than a TfL Travelcard with a hefty markup vs. what anyone can pay at any Tube station.
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM

And these days getting an Oyster card may work out even cheaper
Mar 13th, 2006, 03:25 PM

I have to admit I got suckered the first time I went to London and bought the Pass, but not only that I bought it with travel and had it mailed to my house for an extra 10 pounds.

It did not pay off.
Mar 14th, 2006, 07:32 AM

I just got back from London yesterday from a 10 day trip. We actually got a 3 day London Pass which actually saved us over 15 pounds a person. It's relatively easy to figure out how much you would stand to save or lose.
Mar 14th, 2006, 09:36 AM

I got the travel card for free when I bought London Pass. Check for their promotions.
Mar 14th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Right at the moment, the transport option costs between £5 and £7 per day. A 7-day Travelcard from TfL costs about £3 per day.

So yeah, check those promotions. A 2-for-1 at the Tower will just about cover your transport for a week.
Mar 14th, 2006, 10:13 AM

The London Pass CAN be a good deal:
Covers in full:
*Tower of London 14.50 lbs
*Kensington Palace 11 lbs
*St Pauls Cathedral 9 lbs
*Windsor Castle 12.50 lbs
Hampton Court Palace 12 lbs
*Shakespeare's Globe Exp 8.50 lbs
*Eton College Windsor 4.50 lbs
Kew Gardens 10 lbs
*Thames Cruise from 3-8.20 lbs (8.20 for longer cruise, highly recommendable to Greenwich
Tate-Tate Thames boat 5 lbs

British Museum is not misleadingly advertised on the official web site as it clearly says free to Special exhibitons - 5 lbs

and things you may never do without the pass but which could be fun:
London Bicycle tour 17 lbs
Canal Boat Tour 6.95 lbs
Royal Mews - Queens working stables 6 lbs
and lots of secondary attractions at about 5 lbs each.
(London Transport Museum is closed for the next year or so for renovations)

London Pass cost:
1 day - 29 lbs
2 d 42 lbs
3 d 52 lbs
6 d 72 lbs
(all without transportation)

* 65 lbs for what many first time Londoners will do and should do in my opinion - for items marked by *
or $117

plus you may enjoy, in six day period the expensive bike tours, special exhibitons at British Museum, Royal Mews, Kew Gardens, etc.

Strongly restate London Pass could be a great deal for any London visitor who hasn't done and seen main sights and events.

Even with a 2-day pass - you do the Tower, Windsor, St Pauls and Globe - pricey things in 2 days would cost 47 pounds without pass, 2-day pass costs 42 pounds - of course the six day pass allows time for greater savings.

And pass lets you abort the oft long ticket lines at Windsor and the Tower, a savings of time as well.

London Pass may not be for everyone but it should not be dismissed out of hand.

Picking up passes in London could be a hassle as you have to go to British Visitors Centre during opening times, or pay stiff shipping price to US - you can buy passes in US thru RailEurope but they add $15 mailing fee - some of their agents don't like BETS (800-441-2387) who i always recommend for their expertise and not having RE's mailing fees - then you have the pass in hand. Last year when i checked prices the London Pass was actually cheaper in the US than in London - i think VAT may be charged in UK prices - I didn't check this year but it's easy to compare prices in pounds with what BETS or RailEurope offers.
Again, i agree with fact that for many, especially folks who have been to London before, pass is probably not best choice but can be a good deal.
London Zoo? I'd never pay the 12 or 14 lbs to go to the Zoo but if i had a six day pass i may go as it's covered in free - ditto to sundrae other sights.
Well that's my two pence worth.
Mar 14th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Last year i would have recommended a Great British Heritage Pass for the first time London Visitor as it is much cheaper and covered all the main sights indicated in the London Pass above - but this year the royal properties of the Tower of London (which was 1/2 off with Heritage Pass), Kensington Palace and Windsor were covered in full - but the Queen removed them from the scheme so the Heritage Pass, though a great deal if traveling much in the UK is not nearly as good as it was for London.
Mar 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM

Also, when adding up prices for comparison, be aware that many of the London Pass sites are eligible for 2-for-1 offers such as http://www.2for1entry.co.uk/

The Tower and Kensington Palace alone are £26, so it really adds up.
Mar 14th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Robespierre: A valuable point. I can't access the site you reference on my cookies i guess - what are the conditions - do you just get 2 for 1 by showing up or is a train ticket involved - in other words is it a steady thing to bet on or conditions that make it temporary or awkward to do?
2 for 1 if a sure thing would probably tip balance for most folks against London Pass - of course depends on what is 2 for 1 - the two you mention are biggies so assume most others covered as well. Thanks in advance.
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I can't think of why your cookies would prevent you from seeing the site. See if you can get that fixed.

Meanwhile, a little fill-in: just about any train will do - to see Cutty Sark e.g., either a Tube or South Eastern Trains ticket is acceptable.

It appears that you can only apply for three vouchers (at a time, anyway), and it's all done on line before you leave home.
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:10 PM

robes: thanks for answer - i don't know diddly about computers - cookies, etc. but my Internet Explorer just says it has to close when the site comes up before opening it. I assume others won't have the problem and can get the info to judge for themselves.