London - Paris - Venice - Florence - Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2013, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am an international student from US and will be interning in London from June - Aug 3rd. Will be staying in nido king's cross, however my parents and brother will be coming on that day to have our first trip in Europe. I am planning to stay in London for few days, then go to Paris, and take a flight to venice, florence and Rome until Aug 22th (19 days total).

Is it enough time to visit all of those places? and I have no idea how to divide the days between those cities. Also, can anyone please tell me an ideal itinerary for all of those cities? Please and thank you.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 01:46 AM

hahahaha
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 03:20 AM

??????
If you could just clarify that this is a serious enquiry, I'm sure we'd be happy to help.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 03:22 AM

If you are a student, I'm sure you will know how to do some research yourself. Once you have an itinerary, post it here and people can comment.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 04:47 AM

I think you are trying to do too much in 19 days. It will feel like a blur, and while you will "see" cities, you will not really have the time to do them justice. Remember, traveling between these cities is a least 1/2 day, so that has just cut your time down to 16 days for 5 cities, or 3 days per city. Additionally, this time of year, the lines for the things you want to see will be dreadful.

You will be road weary trying to do this, but we all travel differently, so this maybe okay with you.

I think I would cut out two cities. You could do London, Paris and Venice. Or London, Florence and Rome.

To me this would make more sense and would allow you to get a better feel for each place that you visit.

We are going to Paris, Florence and Rome for 17 days in May. I had originally included Venice, but took it out because of the time frame. I cannot imagine adding London - we were there for 10 days and still did not see everything that we would have liked to see.

If you click on my username, you can look for my itineraries and get an idea of how I've budgeted my time.

As Tulips said, think about what you want to see and then post some of your ideas here and we can help you better. We have no idea what your interests and goals are for each city.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 04:58 AM

Your request seems a serious inquiry to me. You have already decided to visit London, Paris, Venice, Florence and Rome. You have more or less 19 days. You and your family need to do some research to decide what are your "must see" sights at those destinationss. You can help with London since you will have been there for 2 months but have your family decide what they want to see in Paris and Italy. That will help you decide how long to spend in each city.

For starters, do research on this board, using the search function at the top of the page and get a couple of guidebooks. Once you have a rough outline of what you want to see, come back and we can help with the details and questions.

With 19 days, don't add destinations. While 19 days is enough time for the 5 stops, it is not enough for more. Dividing the 19 days is totally dependent on what you want to see and do at each stop.

Happy planning.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thank you so much for all your replies. And after reading all of these, I think it's true that it's too much to visit 5 cities in 19 days. So I decided to erase Venice and Florence perhaps? What do you guys think?

After doing some research, if I divide it into:
Aug 3-9th LONDON
Aug 10th take Eurostar to Paris
Aug 10-17th PARIS
Aug 18th fly using Ryanair or easyjet to Rome
Aug 18-22th ROME

Is this ideal for this first trip to enjoying each cities?
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Oh and I have questions regarding The London Pass. Is it worth it to buy the 6 days pass? or is it better for me to book some tour for my family instead of going by myself?

Also for the Ryanair and easyjet. Since I will stay for 2 months means I will have 2 big luggage and 1 hand carry. I am confused on what should I do to travel around with all of those suitcase.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

LONDON:
Buckingham Palace, Royal Mews, Tower of London, Hyde Park, Kensington Palace, Westminster Abbey, House of Parliament, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus & Eros, Shakespeare Globe, Marble Arch, Oxford Street, Downy Street, Tower Bridge

PARIS:
Seine River, Rodin Museum, Hotel Invalides, Marais, Notre Dame, Hotel De Sens, Beaubourg, Montparnasse, Catacombs, Basille, Pantheon, Luxembourg Gardens, Louvre, Tuileries, Champ Elysees, Arc de Triomphe, Montarmarte, Sacre-Couer, Moulin Rouge, Jardin des Plantes, Musee de Orsay, Eiffel Tower, Versaille

I think after look at a lot of Fodors' review I have found all of these must visit place in both London and Paris. Am I correct? Please tell me how to plan this and are there any places that I should go beside this list? I havent compile for Rome yet but surely will do some research.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 06:53 AM

About the London Pass: No. Do not buy it. It's a waste of money.

About the must-see places: It really depends on your interests. And what your family wants to see. Are you going to be glued together all the time? Or will you split up so you can see different things? Are you planning to go inside all those places or only look at the outsides of most of them? Do you have an actual interest in seeing them or do you only want to be able to tell people that you have seen them? The fact that soemone else loved a place does not automatically mean you will.

About your luggage:

Are you going back to London at the end to fly home from there? In that case, find a cheap place to store the large bags in London until you get back there.

If you are not going back to London, it MAY be better to send the large bags home from there before going anywhere else. If you carry them with you while flying from one city to another on Ryanair or EasyJet you will have to pay for the extra bags on that flight.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 08:58 AM

London to Paris from £39 by Eurostar train, www.eurostar.com

Paris to Venice by direct Thello sleeper train, leaves Gare de Lyon after 7pm, arrives central Venice 09:34 next morning, fares from €35, www.thello.com - there's also a Thello from Paris to Florence and Rome.

See the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfjiaO2lyOw to know what this train is like.

Or do it by day, Paris to Milan on the 07:49, 10:41 or 14:41 high-speed TGV train from €29 booked at www.tgv-Europe.com, see the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B09t_WJz_mM

Then go from Milan to Venice, Florence or Rome from €9 booked at www.trenitalia.com.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 10:07 AM

You might look at our travels in Italy the last couple years. It might give you some ideas and flavor as well as how we got around and where we stayed. www.rimerson.com
Rob
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 10:19 AM

Whatever you do, do not miss the Sainte Chapelle in Paris. It is a beautiful chapel with exquisite stained glass windows located near Notre Dame. The Bastille and Moulin Rouge are basically just "walk bys" as are some others on your list.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 03:55 PM

To me, it seems that this is a much better plan. You will not feel rushed in any of the cities and will be able to truly enjoy them.

Regarding luggage: There are fees associated with excess luggage on the two budget airlines you mention, and it is VERY cumbersome to haul all of it around with you. However, you have several options:

1. If you will fly home from London, store it there.
2. Ship what you don't need home, and keep only the essentials for the time with your family.
3. If family members pack light (one case only) they can help you with your luggage.
4. Pack less for your 2 month stay. My daughter studied abroad for 6 weeks and took only one large suitcase and a small backpack.

I would recommend Easy Jet over train travel to make the most of your time. If you book far enough in advance, you can get good prices. We are going from Paris to Florence for E39 each and that rate includes checking one piece of luggage. Be aware, that unlike US airlines, Easy Jet only allows ONE carry piece. This means if you have a purse/backpack and a suitcase, you can only bring one of them and the other must be checked.

Your "highlights" look good. Take a look at my threads for ideas on Paris and Rome. I have a complete 5-day itinerary for both cities that I'll be doing in May.

You may want to consider a day trip out of London to Oxford or Cambridge. Both are lovely towns!
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

aww.. thank you so much for all the advices Really appreciate it..

To get a visa, should I just book the hotel and airplane ticket without guarantee they will give me visa?
Also, how to send my luggage back to LA? is it safe?

And where to shop in London and Paris? I know they are the best place to go shopping. and will there be a problem if I cant speak french and stay in Paris without tour?

Thank you
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 05:04 AM

This company used to have locations in the main London train stations and Heathrow Airport. http://www.excess-baggage.com/ You can request a quote from them and from UPS or FedEx. The last two will likely be more expensive, but you need to check. All will be safe/reliable, probably more than the airlines! haha!!

A CHEAPER option would be to have your bags shipped to your final destination (Rome?, pick them up on your last day there, and fly back to LA with them. It will be more cost effective since you are shipping as far.

If you are studying abroad, the school or university you will be attending will assist you with the Visa.

The language will not be a problem - just try to learn a few of the basic phrases, be polite, and you will be just fine in Paris on your own. Many people speak English.

There is no "best" place to shop in either Paris or London. Good shopping is EVERYWHERE! It depends largely on your budget and what you are looking for.