Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I put alot of thought tothis...how does my itinerary look to you? PLS comment.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:05 AM
howdoesitlook

dec 27 Arriving in florence in the evening.<BR>dec 28 florence<BR>dec 29 florence<BR>dec 30 florence<BR>dec 31 florence<BR>jan 1 Taking a morning train to rome.<BR>jan 2 rome<BR>jan 3 rome<BR>jan 4 rome<BR>jan 5 taking an early train to venice.<BR>jan 6 venice<BR>jan 7 venice<BR>jan 8 taking overnight train to paris.<BR>jan 9 paris<BR>jan10 paris<BR>jan11 paris<BR>jan12 taking eurostar to london<BR>jan13 london<BR>jan14 london<BR>jan15 london<BR>jan16 london<BR>jan17 late flight home<BR><BR>* In florence I will be taking day trips to siena and pisa.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Vita

Hi. Looks good, but wouldn't it be more convenient to start in Rome and work your way north - Rome -&gt; Florence -&gt; Venice -&gt; Paris -&gt; London<BR><BR>I'd also suggest doing just one day trip from Florence and, if you change the order as suggested above, adding a day to Rome. I love Florence but Rome is much larger. I'd pick Siena for the day trip, but I've never been to Pisa.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:50 AM
belinda

Agree with Vita and I would cut a day from London and add it to Paris. Also depends on whether you've been to any of these cities before. I really enjoyed train travel in Europe. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:12 AM
SA

Take a day from London & add it too Venice or Paris. Vita is also correct in that in going from Rome to Venice you are back tracking w/Florence on the way & actulally a good stopping point between the two. In reality (Personally) I would knock out London & expand Paris & Venice by a couple of days.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:38 AM
howdoesitlook

I know I should be going from south to north, ie, Rome, Florence and then Venice but the problem is my holiday was supposed to start Jan. 1 so I had Bookings for ROme since August. I managed to take extra days from work and that is why florence was added last minute. I have been to paris before and that is why I think 3 days is enough in this trip. London is one of my favorite cities in the world so I do not want to take away any days from it. Clearing the back tracking in italy, is my itinerary ok?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:51 AM
K

It sounds like a great trip, but I have a question. Why bother asking us?<BR><BR>People gave you their opinions, and you shot them all down, so you are obviously not going to change them anyway. So, go enjoy your trip, and don't worry about what we think!<BR><BR>I'm not trying to be mean, so I hope it doesn't come across that way. It really sounds like a blast! I loved all of those cities - Paris, Rome, Florence and Venice (and Siena, and Pisa is worth a trip IMO). And, I am going to London this winter - which I am very excited about.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:00 AM
SA

I'm not a big London fan but the last poster is right. Sounds like you've already made up your mind... all the posters were just trying to help assuming you hadn't traveled in Europe before. Next time it might be nice you if you could tell the whole story so you don't waste our time & we don't ewaste yours....Let's face it, you are spending a lot more time traveling from place to place than many of us would like. My trips never cover nearly as much area as you are trying to. To each their own..Enjoy!!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 06:25 AM
tim

day trips to Bath and Mont St Michel are a must. It looks like a good itinerary, but really all that time in Europe is fun anywhere.<BR><BR>peace, <BR><BR>Tim

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Amy

I have to disagree with the last poster. With so little time in Paris, why waste a whole day going all the way up to Mont St. Michel? You'll have more than enough to do in Paris without that. Plus it is too much travel time for one day (believe me, I've done it). I think you would be well severd to perhaps sacrifice one day in London and add it to Paris as well.<BR><BR>The only other comment I have is with respect to the order of cities in Italy, but you seem locked in. I might have worked south to north, but it'll be wonderful either way.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Jim

You should take away a day from Florence and add it to Rome or do a day trip from Florence. Looks like fun!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:01 AM
howdoesitlook

Thank you to everyone who has responded to my thread. <BR><BR>K & SA - I did not mean to be agressive in replyig to your comments. Sorry if I was.<BR><BR><BR>I will try to change my itinerary by doing Rome, florence and then venice. I hope I will be able to change my hrome hotel booking to dec 28-jan1 and then head to florence.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:19 PM
xxx

I am planning a similar trip and was wondering are you using a rail pass or just purchasing individual train tickets?

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 02:26 PM
howdoesitlook

X- I will be purchasing individual train tickets.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Shar

Sounds like a wonderful itinerary to me. Also side trip for me from Paris would be Giverny (Monet's home) althought that time of year there isn't much color. I would agree that side trip to Siena is a must when in Florence and if you love London "go for it"! There are so many things to do- theatre, great flea markets, shopping and side trips like Cambridge, Bath and if you haven't been to Hampton Court Palace it is a must and only a short train ride away. My husband and I were in London this past New Years and loved it. We rented an nice apartment apartment in Mayfair. I can recommend a wonderful restaurant in Mayfair "LeBoudin Blanc" 8 Trebeck Street Mayfair, London W1J 7LT phone 020-7499 3292. Have a wonderful trip. Shar