Reload this Page >

London/Paris short days!

Search

London/Paris short days!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:06 PM
xx

London/Paris short days!

We are planning a spup-of-the-moment trip to London/Paris in the middle of Feb. We are not so much worried about the weather but the short daylight hours. We have one night planned for a play in London any suggestions for the other night in London and two nights in Paris. We have been to both cities in the spring months but never in winter.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Lesli

I was in Paris last Feb., and London the March before that. Yes, days will be short, but both cities are bustling after dark, so it's not much of an issue.<BR><BR>In London, you could try for half-price tickets for the other night if you're interested in more theater. And in either place, there are evenings when museums and galleries are open late. Or a church concert, perhaps?<BR><BR>When it's cold and dark, I often just pick a great cosy restaurant and spend the evening there, lingering over a great meal and a bottle of wine.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 02:36 PM
janis

Actually by the middle of Feb the days are getting longer again. In late Dec daylight hours are very short - but they gradually lengthen (by June the days are VERY long). So Feb daylight hours will be about the same as in October.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Rex

More pedantry...<BR><BR>February days (which are getting longer every day) are shorter than October days (which get shorter every day) at the beginning of the month.<BR><BR>The catch up day should occur about Feb 20 (one month before spring equinox) will be roughly equal to October 20 (one month after fall equinox).<BR><BR>But Feb is still on standard time. October has not yet "fallen back" to standard time. So, even on February 20, sunset is earlier than on October 20.<BR><BR>But thr total daylight is longer on February 28 than on October 28.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:53 AM
lou

I thought that Rex's information was very useful, as sometimes people just think of Feb. as a winter month and forget that by then the days really are getting longer again. Here is a website that will give you exact sunrise and sunset times in London for every day of the year (for Feb. it is basically between 5 and 5:30pm):<BR>http://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc...omy.html?n=136

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Barb

Last year I was in Paris in late January. I found a very nice jazz club just steps away from the Senate Building. My sister and I had a really enjoyable evening listening to music and drinking. It did get dark early and I have to admit we were not prepared clotheswise. Bring some comfortbale layers and a scarf/pashmina to stay warm. Also gloves!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 07:03 AM
topper

up<BR>

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Pablo

Two days in Paris? I think you have time to visit almost nothing!! I suggest Opera Garnier ... It's lovely.<BR> To find a hotel nexto Opera ... try this website ... http://www.hotelsearch-in-paris.com/ ... you can find hotels where you want easily.<BR><BR> Pablo