Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London, Paris, Rome etc. in March or April?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a 4 weeks trip to London, Paris, Nice, Monaco, and major cities of Italy, starting in middle March. Is weather in these places potentially an issue during this period of time? Would it be better if I postpone it for one month?
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 03:19 PM

If you start in Italy and move north it should not be that bad but rather nice spring weather. In April beware crowds of tourists the week before and after Easter- especially in Rome as many schools have vacations then.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 03:50 PM

You may wish to drop Nice, fly from Paris into Italy.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 03:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I was in Paris last spring in late April. The weather wasn't too bad but I certainly was wishing it was better. May should be better. I tend to make an attempt when I can to move with the season, so as mentioned, start south and move north in spring. One cannot count on it but I try to imagine it's worth doing.
Old Feb 15th, 2017, 04:26 PM

Was once in Paris from mid March to mid May. March was cold,blustery and trees without leafs. Gardens were pretty bare too. Mid April was a lot nicer.
I would start in Italy and work my way up through France and into England.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 04:33 AM

I'm not sure that Nice and Monaco will be nice even at the end of this period. It depends on what you want to do there.

I live in Italy, near the Adriatic coast, and you can't count on nice seaside weather even in May. My daughter used to visit me every May, but she changed it to June, because there was a better chance of being able to enjoy the beach in June.

We were in Paris in late April a few years ago, and like MmePerdu, found it a bit on the blustery side.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 04:57 AM

Yes, it's potentially an "issue." And yes, of course postponing it a month would likely make it less of an issue. But you can't really count on anything having to do with weather these days, can you? I live in the SW of France and it's sunny and almost 70F here today. At the end of April it could be freezing cold and rainy.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 05:29 AM

The riviera will be k in April - most of the time. I remember one year when it rained 8days out if 10. We were repairing the terrace and the dog kept going out and in. Out clean. In muddy.

In the nirth (Paris) we have an idiom : en avril ne te découvre pas d'un fil.
En mai fais ce qu'il te plait.
Which translates into : April bad weather may ok.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 05:42 AM

DH and I visited Paris and/or Italy in March (always with the 17th, our anniversary a part of our 2 weeks) over the course of 20 years. We always packed silk underwear yet only needed it once (the year we forgot to pack it). Weather ran the gamut. Wear layers and add or subtract as needed.

I went to Paris in April/May in 2016 and got snowed on! Go when you can and have a great time, Rimwall!
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 07:58 PM

You really can't do anything about the weather - which is wildly unpredictable, these days - except to prepare for it.

Watch a live weather report two days before you pack. You'll probably need to bring a "little of this, little of that", to make yourselves comfortable. It's really all you can do.

I'd leave umbrellas at home - they will be useless when the wind kicks up, which it often does. Bring a rain hat, instead.
Old Feb 17th, 2017, 10:52 PM

<i> I live in the SW of France and it's sunny and almost 70F here today. </i>

Here on the Adriatic coast, it was in the low 40sF this morning, and now, at noon, it's struggling to get out of the 50s.

It's true that you can't predict the weather any more: last year it was chilly here even in June. However, that's why I would skip Nice and Monaco so early in the year, unless you have some indoor things you'd like to do there. London, Paris, and "major cities of Italy" are not as problematic.