London-Paris-Italy in 10 days

Old Jun 24th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London-Paris-Italy in 10 days

My husband and I are thinking about going to Europe for the 1st time. He can only go for 10 days and I can probably stay an extra 2. We're thinking of flying into London, arriving early in the morning and try to see as much as we can and take the train to Paris that evening.
We would like to spend 4-5 nights in Paris and do as much as we can. The two museums I must see are the Louvre and Musee d'Orsay. We also planned on either taking the train, renting a car or flying to Italy and stay for 4 night. We're not sure which is best way of transportation and which cities are good to see in Italy.

We'd love to hear any suggestions from what to see in London in 1 day, Paris in 4-5 days, and Italy in 4 days. Also the best way of transportation from one city to the next as well as what to see/do in each city. Hotels and restaurant recommendations are also very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 11:38 PM

With only 10 days give London a miss. By the time you get into town it is likely to be around mid-day even on the earliest flights and you cant see much in that time and will spend more time getting from the airport and then to the train station as you will seeing sites. London is huge and spread out and it takes time to get to the sites. Save it for another trip.

I would fly into Paris spend half the time there, and then fly to another town in Italy - Rome, Florence, Venice and spend the rest of your time there. You can do day trips if you want to see the countryside.

With 10 days I would only pick 2 locations and do them justice. It will allow you max sight seeing time plus will cost less than trying to fit in London when you wont be able to see much.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 11:45 PM

I have some ideas, merely my take it or leave it opinion...

I ahve been to London several times and same with Paris. Trying to see London in a day is.... impossible. Especially if you are jetlagged. Where are you flying from? Is it possible to balance your time differently and spend 3 nights or so in London?

If you are on limited time and seeing just the big cities I think flying / train would be your best option. No point wasting time navigating in a car IMO.

If I only had a day in London I would probably do a hop on hop off style bus so I saw the main sights and had a running commentary. I would also try and do a walking tour (try London Walks). London is a great city and worthy of more than a day if you manage it.
Old Jun 24th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

I'm flying in from the US. Perhaps I could reverse the trip and do London last and that would allow my husband to go home before me and I can stay a little longer (like 2 days) in London?
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 12:09 AM

That makes more sense - fly into say Rome or Venice and then home from London!
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 03:11 AM

If you can get the extra two days then you can squash London in - but your husband will have at most one day there.

Otherwise you should pick two stops - 2 cities not 2 countries. If Rome and Paris are must sees that will more than take up the few days you have. If you really must be florence - then see it as a long day trip from Rome - don;t waste time changing hotels for only one day - it's just not worth the time/effort.

And do realize you are limiting yourself to only the most major sights.
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Which is better to do if I came from Paris? Should we take the train? If so, do you have any tips? If I did Florence and Venice, can I take the train ad stop at each destination?